• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Oz Schools v NZ Schools Test & Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Apologies,

Posted under Aust schools thread previously.

Schoolboys went down to the Fiji Presidents XV - 16-9, I understand.

Will post more if/when the carrier pigeon lands.

Cheers
The Hound

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Historic win
[from Fiji Times]

Zanzeer Singh
Sunday, September 23, 2012

FLANKER Setareki Koroitamana's early second half intercept try laid the platform for the Fiji Presidents XV's historic 18-9 victory over the Australian Schoolboys team at Prince Charles Park in Nadi yesterday.

This is the first-ever win for any local schoolboys team over their Aussie counterparts since the initial meeting back in 2003.

Former Fiji Schoolboys coach Samisoni Baikeitoga lauded the win as a major achievement by the Fiji President's XV.

He said they had been trying to overcome the Aussies since 2003.

"Today's win is historic as this is our first win over the Australian Schoolboys," Bakeitoga said.
The visitors dominated the scrums and line outs but ball handling cost them dearly. The Australian Schoolboys lost the ball close to the try line on three occasions as the locals defended gallantly.

Fiji Presidents XV team manager Pita Molidua said they stuck to the game plan and got the result that they wanted. He said their solid defence was the key to their victory.

"We just came to play basic rugby with only a week's preparation," Molidua said.

"But things turned out positive. We stuck to the game plan and the boys defended well. At the end we got the result.

"Setareki had shown brilliance for Ratu Navula in the Deans competition. He is one of the best number sevens in secondary schools and he proved that during the game.

"This result will now put the pressure on our main schoolboys team and they will have to work hard to win."

Australia Schoolboys coach Steve Phillpotts said a loss wasn't on the cards in their opening tour match of Fiji and New Zealand.

He said they failed to build on the momentum, losing control of the ball on many occasions.

"We came up against a very passionate side," Phillpotts said.

"The Fiji Presidents VX played very well and caught us on the back foot. We did not play the style of football that we wanted to play.

"We had to play tighter and hold on to the ball and build the phases but we could not hold on to the ball."

The visitors opened their account in the eighth minute after Jovesa Nataqirivitukalulu was shown the yellow card for a dangerous tackle.

Hooker Tom Wilson landed the penalty from 40 metres out.

Tabualevu levelled terms five minutes later with a penalty at the other end.

Both teams were locked 3-all at the break.

The home side got off to a flying start in the second spell with Koroitamana intercepting an Australian Schoolboys pass and running in 75 metres to dot down near the post. Tabualevu converted.

Wilson kicked the second penalty in the 41st minute. Reece Hodge kicked the third penalty for the visitors in the 57th minute to make it a one point ball game.

Jovesa Nataqirivitukalulu scored the Fiji Presidents XV's second try after the Aussies turned over near their 22 metre territory.

Replacement Ratucawa Maciu nailed a penalty in injury time to seal the historic win.

The Fiji Schoolboys will face Australia Schoolboys at Churchill Park in Lautoka on Tuesday.

Fiji Presidents XV: Eparama Turaga, Jovesa Nataqirivitukalulu, Atunaisa Rakota, Pita Nacagilevu, Kemueli Tokalau, Semi Ratucoka, Setareki Koroitamana, Vincent Fisher, Adriu Navia, Akuila Tabualevu, Viliame Kikau, Mosese Serevakayakavi, Viliesa Varawa, Apenisa Buka, Sekoce Lili. Reserves: Alipate Botabota, Savenaca Komaisavai, Richard Matakiwai, Tevita Kasikasi, Jeremaia Nakete, Kelemedi Lenati, Naibuka Nakavo, Ratucawa Maciu, Apimeleki Vunaki.

Australia Schoolboys: Tomas Robertson, Tom Wilson, Matt Sandell, Tom Staniforth, Jack Cornelsen, Adam Korczyk, Brad Wilkin, Lolo Fakaosilea, Andrew Ferris, Reece Hodge, Andrew Kellaway, Tepai Moeroa, Andrew Robinson, Gareth Kalell, John Porch. Reserves: Siotame Kavapalu, Francois Postal, Neori Nadruku, Mitchell Whiteley, Jack Dempsey, Angus Pulver, Jack Tuttle, Jonah Placid.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't think that the Coaches have nominated this team as their #1 team.

No, it obviously was not their best team but the Fijian team would not have been their best one either.

Playing 5 games over two weeks - you have to rotate your team. We won't know what the management think is the best team until the NZ test, and 3-4 players will probably be injured by that time.

Well done to the Fiji lads.

"We had to play tighter and hold on to the ball and build the phases but we could not hold on to the ball."

This comment didn't surprise me: even the Oz Schools test team against Tonga lacked a bit of physicality in tight play, and with so many Twos players in the team against the President's XV, this kind of result was not unlikely this year.

There were probably a couple of Twos lads that should have been in that test team at St Marys but, by and large, there was a big difference in class between the players of the two Oz teams that played Tonga. As with Oz senior players, our Schools depth is skinny.

I expect the team to play Fiji will do better.

PS - It is interesting to note that Postal was on the bench, yet he wasn't included in the final list of players to tour. Since Wilson started the game it is likely that Moli S. of Victoria got a late injury.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Lee

Moli has returned home from Sydney and Postal was picked up almost directly from airport. I hope that you are right in what you are saying Lee. However from what I heard all bench players were used in 2nd half which Oz Schools lost (draw 3:3 at oranges). I want to believe that this was only test run before the main event.

S

Sydneybra

Any thoughts on what will be the No. 1 side to face NZ (without injured players)??

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The coach and assistant coach on tour were selectors of the original 2 Oz teams that played against Tonga. But there's nothing like seeing the lads train, being with them on tour and watching them play a couple of games with their team mates, to recalibrate one's selection thinking.

However I expect that most of the survivors from the starting XV that played the test at St. Marys will be chosen again. Unfortunately that leaves out their two best players from that match: Rorke and Foketi - both injured and left at home.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
to Play Fijian Schools, Lautoka, Fiji

Monday,
24 September 2012
AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS RUGBY TEAM To play FIJI SCHOOLS UNDER 18
Churchill Park, Lautoka, TUESDAY 25 SEPTEMBER 2012 – 3.30 pm (Fiji Time)

Aaron
Pleash
Ipswich Grammar School
QLD
Tom
Wilson
Barker College
NSW
Matt
Sandell
St. Joseph’s College
NSW
Tom
Staniforth
Canberra Grammar School
ACT
Matt
Philip
St. Augustine’s College
NSW
Jack
Dempsey
St. Ignatius’College
NSW
Michael
Gunn
Anglican Church Grammar School
QLD
Mitchell
Whiteley
St. Ignatius’College (c)
NSW
Angus
Pulver
Shore School
NSW
Jake
McIntyre
Alstonville High School
NSW
Andrew
Kellaway
The Scots College
NSW
Jack
Tuttle
St. Joseph’s College, Nudgee
QLD
Jim
Stewart
The Scots College
NSW
Andrew
Robinson
St Mary MacKillop College
ACT
Jonah
Placid
Toowoomba Grammar School
QLD
Tomas
Robertson
St. Joseph’s College
NSW
Francois
Postal
St. Joseph’s College, Nudgee
QLD
Neori
Nadruku
St Edmunds College
ACT
Adam
Korczyk
Brisbane State High School
QLD
Lolo
Fakaosilea
Brisbane Boys College
QLD
Andrew
Ferris
The Kings School
NSW
Reece
Hodge
Manly Selective School
NSW
Tepai
Moeroa
Newington College
NSW

The above was posted on the ASRU web site this morning.
It would appear that the coaches have made some changes to the team from last Saturday, in line with previous posters' comments.

Cheers
The Hound

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That Saturday team v The Presidents XV was never going to be indicative of the test team; it was always going to be a mixture. All players will get at least one start in the 5 matches; maybe at least two.

Good to see that Sandell and Robertson are in the test team as their form since the Oz Schools tournament has been outstanding. They both missed the Oz 23 against Tonga - Sandell was injured and Robertson was chosen in the A's. Sandell starts at THP (not bad for a Yr.11 lad in that position) replacing Nadruku who will play off the bench - and Robbo is on the bench replacing Kavapalu.

From a personal point of view it's grand to see Tuttle break into the test team replacing the injured Foketi, in effect. He will play in his usual position of 12 and Stewart moves to 13 where he has been playing for Scots. That should be a formidable combo.

Other changes from the test team at St. Marys are:

- 4. Staniforth, replaces the injured Rorke as he did for a bench spot for Oz Schools v NZ Schools last year. Let's hope that Harry can satisfy his quest to play NZ as a senior player one day. A lad's got to have a dream.

- Reserve hooker Postal is on the bench replacing Moli S who was injured late and could not tour.

- Reserve lock/backrower Korzyk replaces Cornelson

- Reserve back Hodge replaces Horwitz who was not selected to tour.

- Reserve back Moeroa replaces Jones - ditto.

This 23 is poorly balanced as it lacks a back 3 reserve and Robinson in the starting team is really a centre, not a winger anyway; so it probably lacks 2 outside backs, though McIntyre could always play fullback. But I made similar noises after St. Mary's.

People may point out that Sandell and Robbo were in the starting front row against the Presidents XV, as were other forwards in their positions, yet they lost; so how will these two new guys help matters?

I can't speak to that because I wasn't there. But from the Fiji report the team as a whole had better tighten things up.

Good luck to the lads tomorrow.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Aussies went down 18-9 to Fijian Presidents XV

It was reported earlier BJ. The test is on Tuesday - that's today as I type.
LG.

S

Sydneybra

I had higher expectations of this Aussie side at the start of the year

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They lacked grunt in the forwards against a weak team at St. Marys as I mentioned a few times after looking beyond the large margin of victory.

But I said the same about last year's team when England whacked them at Riverview, yet they beat NZ Schools at Knox later on.

This kind of inconsistency sounds familiar somehow.

S

Sydneybra

I would have loved to see a Aussie forward pack with Oscar Pryor Lees, Harry Rorke and Declan O'Donahue. This would add bulk and aggression to the pack and this certain side could use some real size in the forwards

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Harry would have made a difference that was literally noticeable He was the only damaging 2nd rower, both in the run and the dominant tackle that I saw this year. Nobody else was close.

Staniforth is a bit of a mystery to we Sydney folks; Phillip and the Qld lads have big engines and are athletic, but that won't answer against the Kiwis.

O'Donahue has been at least good, and often extraordinary, this year for Joeys in 3 different positions including the 2nd row. However having to play lock when Schwager got hurt may have cruelled his chances to tour. He would have been in my Oz A side earlier in the year and being so versatile would have made a good tourist. However I think the backrow in Fiji is very good.

I did not rate OPL as highly though that is probably more a weakness in my observation than his play, because I know that others rate him and that he was part of a GPS winning pack.

S

Sydneybra

The current 4 and 5 are stalk being they will get out-muscled against the Kiwi's

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That was a pretty good game report in the Fiji Times (post #22 - Thanks George Smith)

A Shute Shield GF doesn't even get those column inches here.

Bula Fiji.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
The carrier pigeon has just landed.........and in a very pleasing result, the Australian Schoolboys team has this afternoon defeated the Fijian Schools team 29 to 12.
Whilst a few defensive lapses let the Fijians in a couple of times, it would appear that the Australian team attacked with much more venom than in last Saturday's match - and they were rewarded accordingly. The Fiji Times should have a more detailed report tomorrow, and will try & post it if possible.

Cheers
The Hound

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
In other tour news, Qld winger Gareth Kallell has had his tour cut short due to an ankle injury, which has forced him out of the rest of the tour apparently. This is really bad luck for the young lad, as he had just recovered from an injury which had cut short his participation in the Australian Schools Championships.

Cheers
The Hound

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's bad news for Gareth. With only three games to go they usually wouldn't bother replacing him but since the squad was two back 3 players light to start with IMO, they may bring somebody else over though we schools trainspotters probably won't get who we want.

We know it won't mean beans for the NZ test but well done lads for their comeback. It's a great first step.

Jaghound - did the pigeon have a match report with him - or a few sentences?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Fijian Pressies boys will be dining out on their victory for many years, particularly when the Fiji School Boys Team fell short.

The Tropical Island Honeymoon is now over. Roll on the Samoan's and the Darkness Schoolboys in the Shakey Isles.

Status
Not open for further replies.