• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Oz Schools v NZ Schools Test & Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Those that are 18 are now probably having a 'Steinlager' or two; are those that aren't, we'll they're probably watching those that are, NOT :D

Bill McLean (32)
Concur ++ with this award to this young man.

History has shown that the nervousness in Chez Jarse was unnecessary. Well done boys, coaches, managers, support staff and Mums and Dads.

Thanks to ARU and Foxtel for agreeing to broadcast the match. More of this please.

Wholeheartedly agree, especially the broadcasting! Notwithstanding the league schoolboy GIO Cup, even league have not reached the pinnacle of having a schoolboy international televised!

A game that had it it all in particular the nail biting finish.

More please ARU!!!!!!

Bill McLean (32)
And who would ever thought that an ex-All Black prop would make a good commentator! Especially a Taranaki country bumpkin.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Those that are 18 are now probably having a 'Steinlager' or two; are those that aren't, we'll they're probably watching those that are, NOT :D

I would be surprised if ASRU tour policy allows alcohol, even if they are allowed by Law.:(

Any steinlagers will be taken in absolute moderation and probable privacy.

For the Year 12 boys, their Schoolboy Rugby Career may now have ended, but many will simply be continuing their conditioning programmes and roll into the Colts preseasons after final exams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wholeheartedly agree, especially the broadcasting! Notwithstanding the league schoolboy GIO Cup, even league have not reached the pinnacle of having a schoolboy international televised!

A game that had it it all in particular the nail biting finish.

More please ARU!!!!!!

While there was a certain rustic charm to the commentary, and it was a good deal better than the usual corwd on Fox dish up, those blokes had to be on the G&T's: at one point they said x should be replaced as he was having a shocker and within minutes he was first picked. They were positive though - gotta give 'em that!

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great game. Was nervous for a bit at the end there.
Australia's Best 4 ranked in order
1) Robinson: Great try and try assist. Very talented. Signed with brumbies or anything ?
2) Placid: Great speed with the ball, timing is great. A class player. Surly the leaguies will try snap him up.
3) Whiteley: Inspirational in the first halve. Defence and offload ability was noticeably good. Good leader.
4) Dempsey: Not his usual ball running game but adapted very well. Got a few turnovers and
consistently tackled low and hard.

Those were just my 4. Not easy to single out as the whole team performed, including reserves that came on.
Good move by the coach to put in Tepai at 12 instead of Tuttle as the conditions did not suit a wide expansive game due to the strong winds. I thought New Zealand tried to play this game style in the backs which evidently the conditions would not allow.

From NZ, the reserve halfback, red hair. He was very good. Made a big difference when he came on. Wonder why he was not starting.

Congratulations on a successful tour. Did us proud boys!
and if anyone can report on the awards at the end like the bronze boot or whatever it is called that would be appreciated.
JD
Sorry but I disagree with your comments on Dempsey although he was involved more than usual I believe Gunn clearly played a better game.Dempsey made couple of crucial ball wins on the line (one of which was really Gunn) but otherwise nothing outstanding. I thought Whiteley played a much better flanker type game and his first half efforts had a major bearing on the game. The other player in the forwards besides Whiteley and Gunn to play an important part was Staniforth who provided most of the bulk and would have done a large % of the hit-ups and heavy work

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Australia should have won by more but were severely restricted by the penalty count.
Technically Australia were the better team.
They looked more dangerous with the ball , & after a slow start the scrum gradually achieved parity .The lineout not so good.
Congratulations to their coaches.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well done to the lads - I changed my opinion on some of them - all upwards. Will have Gagger put my blog up soon as soon as the nerves settle; had to pause the recording several times after they scored the last try.

Guys - Andrew Robinson is the winger (or rather a 13 who plays wing for Oz Schools).

Tomas Robertson is the prop that came on when Pleash got carded and the scrum improved immediately as I thought it would.].

Pleash wasn't the problem in the scrums. Sandell was put under enormous pressure by NZ's McHugh who was one of their best in tight as well. Mind you Sandell made up for this with his work rate around the park. Robertson did well when he came on especially in that first scrum right on the Aussies line. Don't understand why he didn't start as he's a better scrummager than Pleash, can do more with the ball in hand and his work rate is comparable.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
So can anyone pin point why we can win 4 of the last 6 schools against nz then finish 8th in the 20's?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Look at the process that occurs before the Oz Schoolboys teams are chosen. The Selectors see players perform in 6-7 games beforehand that take place within a 3 week time frame. Plenty of opportunity to see the boys in combat and having to back up repeatedly. When do the u20's do combat in similar circumstances? From what I understand this years team was chosen after a trial between Academy players.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
So can anyone pin point why we can win 4 of the last 6 schools against nz then finish 8th in the 20's?

My rough understanding:

This comp is between the best pick of our yr 12 comp, and theirs. Where the players play against each other (in their respective states) each week and the players/coaches have a good guide of where everyone is in terms of skill. Both countries are on a similar playing field

Where do we pick the U20s from?

Well we scout them from all sorts of different leagues and grades in different states, the players probably rarely get to see where others in the age group are at.

In NZ what happens? Do they continue playing rep footy for their union as colts? I'm sure a few of them get to mix it with super rugby players in the 3rd tier comp.

I'm sure the skill level remains similar between the 2 nations, but in terms of building a solid U20 squad NZ seem to have a better system in place for U20's, whatever it may be.

Bill McLean (32)
Bruwheresmycar,

Firstly I love the name, my son seen it to too and started walking around the house with his fake Maori accent pronouncing it!

Reminded me of a adverstising billboard in Bondi a lot of years ago where (I assumed) some Kiwi wrote graffiti on it with 'AUSTRALIA SUX'. A week later it had 'ALL BLACKS NIL' written next to it!

Anyway adding to your post it is my understanding that most NZ provincial teams have great development programs. For example Auckland have an U/18, U20, and even U/21. It is also my understanding that each of these teams have there own inter-provincial competitions.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
A couple of additional points for reference / interest (hopefully...)
Jack Tuttle a late withdrawal due to tonsilitis, hence Moerea starting at 12
Kiwi no 4 their Bronze boot recipient ( sorry can't find his name).

Appalling stuff up by the man with the whistle allowing 3 scrums to pack down with mis-matched numbers, following Pleash sin bin.

Penalty count - 16 - 7 against...including the 2 vital ones in the last couple of minutes.

Back to back wins by the Aus Schoolboys against the Darkness - has this happened before ??

Cheers
The Hound

PS - Best of luck to the year 12 boys and their HSC exams just around the corner.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did anyone see Tom Wilson's Kicking tee on the close up for his first kick?

"Don't Miss" is written on it in. Useful advice for any kicker. Got us chuckling in Chez Jarse.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Easy. What do these kids do after school? Play amateur rugby in colts, some will go into academies (and not play any rugby!) and the others will go the league.

What do the rest of the world do with their top juniors? Signed to professional clubs straight away and constantly playing against other professional clubs. In a professional environment from the get go.

Oh and coaching of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.