• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

OZ Super 15 Roster 2012 - How does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I've seen bits and pieces in numerous threads and I'm not even sure whether there has been a thread dedicated to this, but how is next year going to work?

As far as I can gather each Franchise will have a 30 man squad. Does this include rookie contracts or are they additional? If the latter, how many are there allowed?

How does the Academy set up work? As I understand it, there will be an ARU Academy and all state academies will be disbanded. Is this right and what does it mean exactly? Does each state 'caretake' a number of ARU academy members locally, and how many in each state? Is it true that the Academy will be a pool arrangement whereby States can select any player from anywhere if there is a requirement?

Apologies if this is repetition.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can I add to this and ask how the competition will work in a non world cup year?

I have heard rumours about four byes, playing every team and a break for June Tests. Is any of this true?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
speckie

Great questions about the academy but I don't think that many folks outside of the rugby industry know the answers. No doubt the ARU will put us on the drip feed and give us some incomplete morsels from time to time.

At their convenience of course.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
What I've gathered is 30 contracted players with 5 rookie contracts.

There will be a national academy with one based in Brisbane and 2 based in Sydney with any state being able to access that pool of players if needed.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just borrowing from another thread, there also appears to be an "Ëxtended squad". Not sure how many players fit here, nor how they might be compensated.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What I've gathered is 30 contracted players with 5 rookie contracts.

There will be a national academy with one based in Brisbane and 2 based in Sydney with any state being able to access that pool of players if needed.

I think that's pretty much it, although I don't think there is a definite location for the Academies, but Sydney and Brisbane most likely.

You get the feeling those players are most likely to be players being developed by the ARU for the Under 20 comp and the Aussie 7s team. So won't necessarily be Super Rugby ready. The states will have to look at their own structures underneath to provide such players.

As to the questions about the comp. Not sure about 4 byes, haven't seen that, but there will be a 3 week break mid-season for the incoming tests (Wales I think) before the Super comp continues.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeah the only real positive I can see from the new academy system is the development of the u20's and 7's sides

country rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
so, its nearly september, has been no rumblings about the academy selections, young fellows probably would like to know sooner rather than later what they will be doing next year, whether it be playing rugby or looking for employment. Any of you who seem to have your ear to the ground heard anything yet?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
so, its nearly september, has been no rumblings about the academy selections, young fellows probably would like to know sooner rather than later what they will be doing next year, whether it be playing rugby or looking for employment. Any of you who seem to have your ear to the ground heard anything yet?

I think offers have been made to certain players, and the ARU is in the process of finalising the squads.

I dont like this idea at all. I think it will further kill off provincial rivalries. I'd like to see 5 academies, and I'd like to see them playing each other before inter-conference super rugby games, as well as some games against the pacific teams when the super rugby team is on tour. More high quality rugby is what's needed, not more 'training'.

Status
Not open for further replies.