• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Palu needs to come back in

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Need more ball-carrying. Now with Rocky doing his share of the carrying, Palu will make more of an impact.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I was thinking about the makeup of the foward pack and particularly the loose trio. There is a big risk in having Palu and Elsom starting in a game because of match fitness, but we need them for their impact. The only solution that comes to mind, without having to move Smith to 8 in the 2nd half is to have a 5-2 bench split - which obviously has its own issues (however if Genia starts, then I reckon Burgess is good enough to play inside centre at a pinch).

So you'd have

4 Horwill
5 Sharpe
6 Elsom
7 Smith
8 Palu
Res: Chisholm (covering lock), Mumm (covering blindside) and Waugh or Pocock. Palu would get replaced by Mumm and Smith would pack down at 8 on our scum feed.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
That didn't take long. Though I suspect you're looking to personnel changes when the underlying problem is the Wallabies playing dumb football and reverting to predictable one out running.

If I'm Wallaby coach I'm constantly reinforcing the fact that rucks are pure evil. I hate that our guys passively just accept the tackle and form a ruck. But what I hate even more is that our guys actually seem to seek out the ruck - 'what the hell are we doing on this play ? Um...not sure, hey, let's go to ground, set up a ruck and try this again shall we ?'. Its like they read 'Making it easy for the defence 101' and mistook it for the game plan.

Mix it up, challenge the defence. Start offloading the football. We had some mauling going early in the game, wasn't too shabby. Maul, pick and go, get the offloads happening. In the end it all comes down to support play.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And I fear I'll die before I get to cheer for the Reds.

One of my wifes friends said to me the other day that I should start buying Reds stuff for my son, and make sure he gets into them earlier. She said 'that way, when he is fourteen or so and they are again playing well he can say he was a supporter in the tough times as well'.

He is only 6 months old now, and she didn't say it with a hint of a joke. :'(

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
naza said:
That didn't take long. Though I suspect you're looking to personnel changes when the underlying problem is the Wallabies playing dumb football and reverting to predictable one out running.

If I'm Wallaby coach I'm constantly reinforcing the fact that rucks are pure evil. I hate that our guys passively just accept the tackle and form a ruck. But what I hate even more is that our guys actually seem to seek out the ruck - 'what the hell are we doing on this play ? Um...not sure, hey, let's go to ground, set up a ruck and try this again shall we ?'. Its like they read 'Making it easy for the defence 101' and mistook it for the game plan.

Mix it up, challenge the defence. Start offloading the football. We had some mauling going early in the game, wasn't too shabby. Maul, pick and go, get the offloads happening. In the end it all comes down to support play.

and get up and get into play and give options to the ball carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.