• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pat McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanker

Frank Row (1)
So he seems to be the most divisive of the Wallabies squad to be picked for the weekend. Thought I'd open the debate up with a video. Here's everything he was involved in at inside centre on the weekend, and some stats:

[video=youtube;nq2nY-EExl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2nY-EExl4[/video]

• 14 runs for 105m (averaging 7.5m per run)
  • 12 runs over advantage line, 2 failed advantage line
  • 2 tackle busts
  • 5 passes
  • 4 tackles (1 dominant)
  • 14 breakdown involvements (excluding involvements after own runs)
  • 1 Turnover - Knocked on in tackle
  • 1 Ineffective tackle (Kane Thomson offload)

He was solid enough, but he won't set the world on fire. He looked a little lost at IC to be honest. I wonder if Deans plans to persist with him should Barnes not be available?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
But those are good stats, particularly in a beaten team. 12 runs over the advantage line is quite tasty.

T

The_Riddler

In a side that had no forward momentum, they are pretty good stats. Although I see him becoming a world class 13 in the long term, probably in the mould of a Daniel Herbert. Seeing that he has played 3 games in his career at 12, it was always going to be a steep learning curve. But he looks up to task. If he has a strong game on Saturday, I suspect he will be at 12 until Barnes comes back.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd prefer to see him play 13 and JOC (James O'Connor) or Barnes at 12 if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't regain his form. Ant Finger is obviously also an option there.

A

antipodean

If he's never played centre, look to Deans to have him play there during the RWC finals...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Great video, thanks for that.

A pretty solid game under the circumstances. Was given no space at any time, was always running into a Samoan brick wall. The only criticism I could make is that he should have passed at 4:08, but that is trivial. Will look forward to seeing him against the Saffers.

S

Skippy

Vastly underrated. Is he test match standard 12 just yet? I'm not sure. But I think he will bring a lot to 12 (as an option) as a crash ball type player for the next few years. If Australia want to play that type of 12.
What I like about him and can see working well for australia assuming Gits is on the outer and cant find any form and Barnes doesn't come back... is that he brings a bit of size,straightens well but most importantly gets to the breakdown and clears out/secures the next phase well when his backline team mates take the ball into contact. This is invaluable and vitally important to a teams ability to play wide expansive rugby yet retain posession.

F

Fredfreduels

He has been very good for the Brumbies during 2010 and 2011. Just watching his efforts during the Samoa game on that vid above, god he plays with a lot of heart. Well played on Sunday, and he deserves his spot for Saturday. What are everyone's thoughts on his final position?

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
I think he has great potential for a 12. His straight running reminds me of Tim Horan...

It also reflects the fact that Deans has moved away from the two playmaker backline that quite frankly never clicked.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's obviously a world class player and all the usual bias crap I put out about him....

Yep world class, just like that young Beau Robinson...

McCabe is a good player and seeing him live for the Ponies demonstrated to me that he has all the makings of a test player.

What I saw on Sunday was a player that lacked some of the small things, it's not in the stats, but the instinct of knowing how to react and read the play. All I've read and watched and spoken to test players, playing in a test is very different that other forms regardless of the opposition and experience counts for alot.

Good luck to him

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
12. McCabe
13. Horne

21. Giteau
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cover 9,10,12,13,14,11,15 - perfect.

S

Skippy

I dont tihnk we need playmakers at 12 with Cooper. The reason is, JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale and Cooper are all capable distributors at first and second receiver. Balance in the backline would come from having a Digby/Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and a direct 12 in my opinion. Remember, the number on their backs will not be relevant. I expect JOC (James O'Connor), Beale etc too all move around to suit the moves.
So on a move that perhaps requires a second receiver to distribute I tihnk JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale will move into that position and Digby/Mitchell/McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will move out to the wing or move into 12/13 and so on etc etc. however it works.
Barnes and Gits' value should not be underestimated but Cooper's abilities rely largely on having the right balance of 'indians' and 'chiefs'... with more 'indians' and less 'chiefs' at his disposal.
I remember NSW state of origin teams going back to the mid to early 90s when they had Fitler, Daley, Stuart etc etc and often people would say they had too many chiefs, too many blokes who wanted the ball and be the ball player/play makers. Whereas QLD always had blokes who were unsung, quite happy to just do their individual job and have just one person pull the strings.

The Wallabies just need unsung heroes to do their jobs and do them well. Let Cooper pull the strings. If he's heavily marked,step up Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). But I'm starting to think having Gits and Barnes etc also in their is just a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians.

flanker

Frank Row (1)
Cheers for the input.

Agreed on McCabe's potential - he could be a great line runner, in a Mortlock sort of mould. Think he's best suited at OC long term.

This game really showed how little effort Deans pays to the development squads. There was an evident lack of combination and it really hurt individuals in the backline. Our B team has been humiliated on a few occasions - Munster in 2010 sticks out for me. If you're going to blood a number of players at once, put them in a basic setup where they can show off their skills.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I dont tihnk we need playmakers at 12 with Cooper. The reason is, JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale and Cooper are all capable distributors at first and second receiver. Balance in the backline would come from having a Digby/Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and a direct 12 in my opinion. Remember, the number on their backs will not be relevant. I expect JOC (James O'Connor), Beale etc too all move around to suit the moves.
So on a move that perhaps requires a second receiver to distribute I tihnk JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale will move into that position and Digby/Mitchell/McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will move out to the wing or move into 12/13 and so on etc etc. however it works.
Barnes and Gits' value should not be underestimated but Cooper's abilities rely largely on having the right balance of 'indians' and 'chiefs'... with more 'indians' and less 'chiefs' at his disposal.
I remember NSW state of origin teams going back to the mid to early 90s when they had Fitler, Daley, Stuart etc etc and often people would say they had too many chiefs, too many blokes who wanted the ball and be the ball player/play makers. Whereas QLD always had blokes who were unsung, quite happy to just do their individual job and have just one person pull the strings.

The Wallabies just need unsung heroes to do their jobs and do them well. Let Cooper pull the strings. If he's heavily marked,step up Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). But I'm starting to think having Gits and Barnes etc also in their is just a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians.

That is why the Reds back line was so successful this year. There was always two workhorses outside of Cooper, be it Tapuai, A.Fainga'a, Harris (although Harris is a good distributor). What the Reds did lack was an O'Connor or Beale who could really take the pressure off Quade when required. McCabe will probably go alright on Saturday, in the long term he will be solid for the Wallabies if he continues to develop. This year though, the Wallabies could do a lot worse than a Genia, Cooper, Tapuai, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/A.Fainga'a, 9,10,12,13 combination, especially when that backline less AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), shut down the best backs the kiwis and Saffas have to offer,

Status
Not open for further replies.