• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Paying for news

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Do you pay for print news? Why? Why not?

A discussion on the ABC this morning got me thinking about this then in the Rebels 2014 thread there are some posts about how to get around the pay wall. Basically the ABC commentators were of the opinion that if people expect quality journalism that people need to start paying for it.

I did subscribe to The Australian for about 12 months, have been stopped for about 9 months now but have been considering going back. The cost is very reasonable (less than 50 cents a day) and the quality is usually well above most other sources. For the moment I predominantly use the ABC and will continue to do so.

Here is an article about how some of the less scrupulous sources can be manipulated http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3688053.htm

Is this a case of you get what you pay for or is there more to it?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I watched Media Watch today and it was Holmes plea at the end to subscribe. Holmes is no dummy and respect his work. And he was a far better host of MW than Marr who was on one long political rant every show.

I get all the media I need through work so have no need to subscribe personally. But if I didn't I would probably subscribe to the AFR.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All these media joints own magazines who publish utter crap slipped in between masses of advertising and charge gullible idiots for the privilege of making themselves less intelligent.

Fuck em

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.