• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

PB will like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
From today's Courier-Mail

Andrew Slack
June 28, 2009 12:00am

RUGBY has been professional for almost 14 years. With each year, club rugby has slipped more and more off the radar.

Swamped by coverage of the Wallabies and Super 14, the casual follower probably could not even name you the clubs that make up the Brisbane and Sydney grade competitions.

Over the past decade or so, those hardened, old-school devotees of club rugby undoubtedly feel as if they have been treated as inferior by the higher echelons of rugby administration.

Even if there's some justification behind any bitterness, I offer one piece of advice: Get over it.

The reason is that regardless of the lack of help they might feel they have received, what they've got is still very, very good.

Over the past couple of weeks, circumstances have connected me with clubs like Frenchville Pioneers in Rockhampton and West Harbour in Sydney and it has reminded me of just what club footy has to offer.

Putting aside the warm, fuzzy stuff of camaraderie and modestly talented players getting their chance to blow off some weekend steam, the quality of play in first grade is, if not as technically correct as you might see at the representative level, often far more entertaining.

I'm not a domesticated type, but for reasons beyond my control I was doing the ironing while watching last week's Wallabies-Italy Test on the box.

In the entertainment stakes, the ironing won in a photo finish. Chores would never come first in a contest with an afternoon at a suburban ground watching some club rugby.

Former Wallabies flyhalf Stephen James argues that the strength of the standard of club rugby lies in its imperfections.

While he accepts that there is a difference in abilities at Super 14 level, 80 per cent of players are probably of similar standard and there's a lot of cancelling each other out.

With first grade club teams containing the odd smattering of representative players, legitimate A-graders and the occasional reserve grader being given a go for any number of reasons, there's a greater chance of mistakes being made.

While nobody enjoys a mistake-athon, forced and occasionally unforced errors mean opportunities, and that often equals entertainment.

The other thing that club rugby has over its big brother is the ability of spectators to be up close and personal.

As one club disciple said to me, "I love the sound of the collision and the smell of the blood!"

If that happens to be your go, it's hard to get it from Row H at Suncorp Stadium and impossible from Row H at ANZ Stadium.

You can't have 50,000 people standing on the sideline at a Bledisloe Cup Test, but the people charged with running the game at the highest level perhaps should take notice of how mistakes can enhance a contest.

The best way to do that is eliminate the replacement rules. Reserves should only be allowed on to the field for legitimate injuries.

If that were the case, you would have fatigue doing the same job in a Test match that differing abilities do at a club level.

The ability to play for 80 minutes has always supposed to be part of the fabric of rugby. In an era where the fulltime players have no excuse for not being as fit as possible, we are giving them a soft option.

The reality is the 22-man game team is here to stay, like it or not.

Despite its diminished profile, club rugby is also here to stay.

For those who usually confine themselves to the pristine viewing conditions of the big stadiums during the rep season, do yourself a favour.

Go out one afternoon to a club ground and see if the sound of collisions and the smell the blood is your go.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Biffo said:
the people charged with running the game at the highest level perhaps should take notice of how mistakes can enhance a contest.

The best way to do that is eliminate the replacement rules. Reserves should only be allowed on to the field for legitimate injuries.

If that were the case, you would have fatigue doing the same job in a Test match that differing abilities do at a club level.

They had to bring in the substitution rules because at the 60 minute mark players (Northern Hemisphere types) would routinely fall to the ground complaining of some injury.

Good call on club rugby, I'm a devoted follower of the ABC game of the day.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I dont like it, I love it. I wont even swap a live test match for attending a schoolboy match when my boy plays be it hockey or rugby. Love to shout from the side and watching the kid playing his game. First thing he'll do after putting in a good hit or going in a ruck or scoring a try is to look at his dad. Thanks Biff.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I did not attend the match but the souties in Slaapstad dont like the Paarl way now for years. The coach and reserve players at the back of the poles, supporting the team
WP Rugby Site
Coaches%20on%20field.jpg

On the goal line it was appalling to see the Gym coaches standing at the posts in the field directing the play. They were in the way and should be reprimanded for setting a terrible example to the kids.

and photos of the match
http://wpsport.co.za/Rugby/School R...s Day 1/Doug Day 1 Web/Gym Selborne/index.htm

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
naza said:
They had to bring in the substitution rules because at the 60 minute mark players (Northern Hemisphere types) would routinely fall to the ground complaining of some injury.

And besides - how do you identify a proper injury in the age of professionalism? If your "neutral" doctor makes the call, then a player goes on to have a serious injury, what happens?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm going to go against you again PB and say the coach has no right to be in the field of play. Behind the dead ball line he can be saying anything he likes, but he has no place being where he is.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah gotta agree with that. Some unions even have rules stating the coach cannot enter the playing area (which includes the field and the restricted area (up to 5m in some places) around it, except at halftime.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja sure they suppose to be behind the dead ball line. Its the emotions that drive them that close. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.