• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pecking Order: openside flanker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
1. Smith. (just for ol' times sake)
2. Pocock
3. Waugh
4. Hodgson

(watch this space award - McCutcheon)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Biffo said:
1. Pocock
2. Hodgson
3. Waugh
4 and + ??

Mine's the same. I think Waugh's mobility around the ground is a serious problem. In saying that, i hope Dean's still picks him as he is one of the most experienced openside breakaways in Australia.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
with Smith and Braid holding down starting positions at the Brumbies and Reds we have:

Pocock
Waugh
Hodgson

but I think Hodgson has the edge over Waugh due to versatility

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hodgson has been a lot better than Waugh this year. And last year, too, in fact. Hodgson has been fanstastic. I'd have him second behind Pocock right now.

Regarding McCutcheon - he's another one of the talented McCutcheon brothers (the older is back on the farm I think), but after watching him I have never thought he's an out and out openside. More like a utility backrower who can play openside well. A bit like a Masoe-type player. A fetcher he is not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:

That has some logic depending on how the ruck laws settle down.

The most effective opensides in the S14 are the "linkers" at the moment

Cyril Towers (30)
Ash said:
Hodgson has been a lot better than Waugh this year. And last year, too, in fact. Hodgson has been fanstastic. I'd have him second behind Pocock right now.

Regarding McCutcheon - he's another one of the talented McCutcheon brothers (the older is back on the farm I think), but after watching him I have never thought he's an out and out openside. More like a utility backrower who can play openside well. A bit like a Masoe-type player. A fetcher he is not.

With all due respect to Lachy, Pat McCutcheon is far better player than his brother (who was still quite useful). I suspect we are going to see a different style from him after his time in the 7s and he will develop into a genuine openside.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On the opensides, who are the guys coming through to put pressure over the next few years on Pocock & Hodgsen?

(In no order)

Chris Alcock
Ben Coridas
Pat McCutcheon
Henry Vanderglas
Colby Fainga'a
Lei Tomiki
Liam Gill
Beau Robinson

None of this lot give me a lot of confidence

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Colby Fainga'a's first problem will be staying higher in the pecking order at the Brumbies than Michael Hooper.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
1. D. Pocock
2. D. Light

Light is also 2nd stringer for the number 8 position and has a good chance for the 13 and 15 spots also.

Cyril Towers (30)
fatprop said:
On the opensides, who are the guys coming through to put pressure over the next few years on Pocock & Hodgsen?

(In no order)

Chris Alcock
Ben Coridas
Pat McCutcheon
Henry Vanderglas
Colby Fainga'a
Lei Tomiki
Liam Gill
Beau Robinson

None of this lot give me a lot of confidence
It's already been argued that Pat McCutcheon is not a true openside but more a back row utility and this has some truth to it. I think the same has to be said of Alcock and Coridas, both of whom are probably more comfortable at 6 or 8. Seilala Lam is another young up and comer currently with the Force I think after some time with the Brumbies. Rodney Ma'a was the flavour of the month as a schoolboy but seems to have dropped off the radar, playing lower grades at Gordon and even a bit of hooker, I hear.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Noddy said:
Gill gives me more than a lot of confidence.

Pocock is what 21? And Hodgson is 26. We should still have 10 years left with one of those two around. No time to hit the panic buttons just yet.

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
It's already been argued that Pat McCutcheon is not a true openside but more a back row utility and this has some truth to it. I think the same has to be said of Alcock and Coridas, both of whom are probably more comfortable at 6 or 8. Seilala Lam is another young up and comer currently with the Force I think after some time with the Brumbies. Rodney Ma'a was the flavour of the month as a schoolboy but seems to have dropped off the radar, playing lower grades at Gordon and even a bit of hooker, I hear.
[/quote]

Is this the Randwick #7, I thought he was excellent for Randwick last year. Saw him play Brumby Runners last year & he has excellent footwork, good ball skills(great link player) & is one of the biggest hitters in Oz rugby. Where is he now? I don't see him on the Force books.

Cyril Towers (30)
That's the one. Played for Randwick at 7. Came off the bench in the GF as Freier started at 7. Played Aus Schoolboys in 2006 and he was an academy player for the Brumbies for a couple of years but I don't think he was re-signed for this year. I have heard on the grapevine that the Force have asked him to join their squad as a late callup to cover their backrow injuries.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
topo said:
That's the one. Played for Randwick at 7. Came off the bench in the GF as Freier started at 7. Played Aus Schoolboys in 2006 and he was an academy player for the Brumbies for a couple of years but I don't think he was re-signed for this year. I have heard on the grapevine that the Force have asked him to join their squad as a late callup to cover their backrow injuries.

He also played in both the 08 and 09 Junior World Cups. Brother Jack (former Aus Schoolboy) has recently joined Waikato Chiefs as a #6,7,8 squad member also.

Seilala would be a good pick up to stock at Rebels.. Similar playing style as TPN, which can't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.