• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Penalty try Hurricanes vs Blues - What the?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
How much of a chance do you think Halai had of grounding the ball legally given the way the ball bounced, their dives, the fact Savea was on his shoulder etc? I think it was probably a pretty slim chance.

If Halai's chance to ground the ball was fairly unlikely, how much better was Savea's given he was almost in the exact same position? The only way to say Savea would have probably scored is to pretend that Halai wasn't there at all - which is pretty much what Vinny said. At what point in that chase do we become an alternate reality where Halai disappears? Right before he you touched the ball? A few metres bak at the try line maybe? Hell, why not make him disappear right at the beginning of the chase - that is most definitely a probable try at that stage.

I guess what I'm saying is that if both players are looking to do the same thing - ground the ball - but we are saying that Halai's only viable option was to knock it dead (even though he got to the ball first) how likely is it that Savea would have been able to ground the ball either?
You can't say a try would have been scored because Savea did not even reach the ball first. A infringement in the in goal does not mean automatically a penalty try,

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think the key to giving a penalty try for these is - 'is the ball probably about to be grounded by the attackers'. In which case, foul play prevented a try.

Obviously in the Force v Reds example that is not the case.

The Blues example is a lot closer though. The longer you look at it, the more confusing it gets. I'm happy with the call made on the day, because anyone trying to ruin a try that good (with foul play) deserves more than a penalty against their team.

MatWhal

Frank Row (1)
Should've been a penalty, not a penalty try though. (The one by Dellit)

Surely it was at least a yellow card? The closest player was Tapuai, he actually runs into Dellit just after he slaps it straight over the dead ball line

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the key to giving a penalty try for these is - 'is the ball probably about to be grounded by the attackers'. In which case, foul play prevented a try.

Obviously in the Force v Reds example that is not the case.

The Blues example is a lot closer though. The longer you look at it, the more confusing it gets. I'm happy with the call made on the day, because anyone trying to ruin a try that good (with foul play) deserves more than a penalty against their team.
But its still not a penalty try because Savea did not reach the ball first. If Savea had laid a hand on it and it was knocked like they did there yes penalty try.

But remove that action. Imagine the first guy to reach it dots it down? Who? Defending player. No penalty try just a penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.