• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

People with an inflated sense of self importance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
A bit of a whinge, but we all know groups of people (or even who think they are vitally important, the bees knees, possessed of a grossly over-rated sense of self, an inflated ego, they are the Grange Hermitage of winr whilst the rest of us are a two litre cask of a nondescript red opened two weeks earlier... But in fact they are much like us or or even part of the unwashed lesser types. We all know the types: bench warming politicians, rugby league journalists, aspiring PR wannabes and so on.

But my initial example are the types who, when armed with a Blackberry, think of themselves that vital to society, the world, the vast expanse of Creation, that they start using their Blackberries to send emails (most probably to themselves) in lifts on the way to their actual place of work. Do they really think they are doing such a critical job that they can't wait those two or three minutes to get their desk and answer their emails there? And with a proper keyboard... No they want to announce to the world that they are important. What a bunch of tossers. You just want to smack them in the back of their heads. Really what is the point???

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
When I'm running late I like to send an email from the bus, makes people think I'm in the office..

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
When I'm running late I like to send an email from the bus, makes people think I'm in the office..

That explains the increased use of them on public transport. Just a bunch of slackers trying bluff their boss into thinking they are already at work.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A bit of a whinge, but we all know groups of people (or even who think they are vitally important, the bees knees, possessed of a grossly over-rated sense of self, an inflated ego, they are the Grange Hermitage of winr whilst the rest of us are a two litre cask of a nondescript red opened two weeks earlier... But in fact they are much like us or or even part of the unwashed lesser types. We all know the types: bench warming politicians, rugby league journalists, aspiring PR wannabes and so on.

But my initial example are the types who, when armed with a Blackberry, think of themselves that vital to society, the world, the vast expanse of Creation, that they start using their Blackberries to send emails (most probably to themselves) in lifts on the way to their actual place of work. Do they really think they are doing such a critical job that they can't wait those two or three minutes to get their desk and answer their emails there? And with a proper keyboard... No they want to announce to the world that they are important. What a bunch of tossers. You just want to smack them in the back of their heads. Really what is the point???

I don't care about people doing it.

It's when you're sitting accross a table from someone having a coffee / drink and every time the fucking thing beeps they have to look and reply.

I have actually got up and walked out once...the guy was actually trying to sell me something and couldn't finish a sentence for pickup up the thing every 30 seconds.

Unfortunately it's a trend not just in working hours but even over weekends. I can'lt help but think what the fuck can be some important at 11am on A Sunday morning when you're supposedly meeting for breakfast and for your kids to have play. I just shut right down.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't care about people doing it.

It's when you're sitting accross a table from someone having a coffee / drink and every time the fucking thing beeps they have to look and reply.

I have actually got up and walked out once...the guy was actually trying to sell me something and couldn't finish a sentence for pickup up the thing every 30 seconds.

Unfortunately it's a trend not just in working hours but even over weekends. I can'lt help but think what the fuck can be some important at 11am on A Sunday morning when you're supposedly meeting for breakfast and for your kids to have play. I just shut right down.

Some people get a work phone/blackberry that goes on when you wake up and goes off before you sit down for dinner. It should be mandatory.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

I can sum up this post in one word. Jealousy.

Go and buy one, it's clear your desperate. They aren't that expensive. For what it's worth, sometimes it IS that critical, sometimes it CAN'T wait until your back at your desk & other times, its' creates one less thing you need to do when you get to your desk - and that can be time saving.

Blue - agree with your point. But if the user is in a lift, on a bus, on a train, minding your own business on a blackberry, then it's YOU with the problem, not the fella doing some work.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I have a BlackBerry, as do at least a third of the other staff where I work. We have a very mobile workforce and the BB is what keeps them in touch with our customers, suppliers and other peeps who work for the business. It's much easier to reply to an email on one of these devices over a 3G network than it is to pull the laptop out of a bag and try to chase down some free WIFI somewhere. Truth be told, I probably don't need one, but my team supports them so we insist on having them too.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
By using my blackberry in the lift, at the store while I'm waiting for lunch, etc, it is one less thing I have to do when I get back to my desk. Maybe consider that some people are actually just so busy that being constantly connected to their office, and able to knock off some minor tasks makes life that much easier. And yes, I am aware of the fact that I am whinging about how busy I am while posting on a rugby forum at work.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I have a BlackBerry, as do at least a third of the other staff where I work. We have a very mobile workforce and the BB is what keeps them in touch with our customers, suppliers and other peeps who work for the business. It's much easier to reply to an email on one of these devices over a 3G network than it is to pull the laptop out of a bag and try to chase down some free WIFI somewhere. Truth be told, I probably don't need one, but my team supports them so we insist on having them too.

Don't get me wrong. My blackberry has made a huge difference. I can do stuff on the run and deal with crisis without needing a laptop. Brilliant.

I have no problem with people being priductive. I have a problem with basic social etiquette. It's a brilliant distraction for people who can't hold a conversation and a great out if you're a social degenerate. Some people seems to think it takes prececende over a conversation. When I used to work in the real world of offices and staff I insituted a penalty system. If you touched your phone for anything other than an important client call in a meeting you put some money in a bottle. The cash went to charity. People stopped real quick.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
By using my blackberry in the lift, at the store while I'm waiting for lunch, etc, it is one less thing I have to do when I get back to my desk. Maybe consider that some people are actually just so busy that being constantly connected to their office, and able to knock off some minor tasks makes life that much easier. And yes, I am aware of the fact that I am whinging about how busy I am while posting on a rugby forum at work.
Like me you can never complain that you are too busy. :)

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Haha - yeah, applies to me to. Although, I go massively in fits and spurts. Either too busy to shit, or nothing to do at all!

For what it's worth, I've ditched the Blackberry & now just use mail on the iphone. Not sure if the original rant still applies?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Don't get me wrong. My blackberry has made a huge difference. I can do stuff on the run and deal with crisis without needing a laptop. Brilliant.

I have no problem with people being priductive. I have a problem with basic social etiquette. It's a brilliant distraction for people who can't hold a conversation and a great out if you're a social degenerate. Some people seems to think it takes prececende over a conversation. When I used to work in the real world of offices and staff I insituted a penalty system. If you touched your phone for anything other than an important client call in a meeting you put some money in a bottle. The cash went to charity. People stopped real quick.

I totally agree with you. People who continually use their smart phones in the middle conversations are being rude. In my team meetings, the phone only gets attended to in emergencies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I totally agree with you. People who continually use their smart phones in the middle conversations are being rude. In my team meetings, the phone only gets attended to in emergencies.

People who do anything other than listen and contribute in meetings or conversations are being rude.

Answering a phone while you are in a conversation really pisses me off. It is tantamount to ending the conversation, ignoring the other person and favouring someone else.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
People who do anything other than listen and contribute in meetings or conversations are being rude.

Answering a phone while you are in a conversation really pisses me off. It is tantamount to ending the conversation, ignoring the other person and favouring someone else.

The biggest problem I find with about half the meetings I attend is that they are either un-necessary, too many un-necessary people are involved, or the person chairing will not keep it moving quickly and the meeting gets bogged down on trivial issues. Not saying it is an appropriate thing to get your phone out and start doing something else, just that there seems to be a developing mentality towards pointless meetings these days. I sometimes think people organise them to avoid actually getting anything done half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.