• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Peter Hynes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Most here would be nonplussed to see Hynes in or out of the starting 15. Solid without being spectacular is probably the way he is seen, although he as done some very good things and is reliable in defense.

Link has singled him out as one of Deans' best selections:

McKenzie says Deans' introduction of 13 newcomers to the Wallabies has been a breath of fresh air for Australian rugby.

He singled out unsung winger Peter Hynes - who until this year had been continually overlooked by national selectors despite being a standout for the Queensland Reds for several Super 14 seasons - as an inspired left-field selection from Deans.

"Hynes, I think, has been a great investment," McKenzie said ahead of the Wallabies' Test against France in Paris on Saturday night (0700 Sunday AEDT).

"Hynes is a bloke I was going to have a crack at getting for the Waratahs.

"I knew exactly why Deans was investing in him because he's played 10, 12, 13, wing all with aplomb and is in the game all the time.

"He's just correct. He does all the little things.

"As soon as he picked him, I thought that's a good selection because you can rely on him.

"He's what I call a player who you can budget on. There's a base performance there.

"He's going to be closer to the best player than the worst and he's going to be like that every week."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=668532

Seems to me, that while full of praise, he is agreeing with the rest of us. I think Hynes needs to give a little more in attack to be able to cement his spot for years to come, otherwise he will see likes of Ioane overtaking him.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
From the same article.

McKenzie said critics could "debate selections and things like that until they're blue in the face", but, by and large, Deans had pulled mostly the right reins in his first season as Wallabies coach.

"I don't think he would say he's made no mistakes," McKenzie said.

"But I doubt he's made the same mistake twice."

Um, except maybe having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as fullback. Although that mistake hasn't been only twice.

F

formeropenside

Don't forget, Hynes is on the "blind" wing where most passes are not as crisp. He sees less ball than the 11 for that reason, unless he is specifically kicked too by the opposition.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hynes works his arse off chasing kicks, getting back in cover/support etc etc.

I think he has been excellent

S

Spook

There's no doubt he works his socks off. His attitude is first class. He isn't the most dangerous winger in the world though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
former,

You could argue both wings were blind when they are outside Mortlock and Cross.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
boom tish.

I remember reading about Hynes being very close to leaving. And I think it was Mooney's appointment and commitment to using the ball that kept him up here.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
There's no doubt he works his socks off. His attitude is first class. He isn't the most dangerous winger in the world though.

He ain't going to break 5 tackles, but give him a decent opportunity and he will do the job.

He reminds me of Howlett, a bit slower of course, but the same attitude to working for the team.

Howlett also used to get the same complaints about his lack of tackle breaking skills

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Very impressed with Hynes. Lote breaks three tackles running from the sideline to the cricket pitch. Hynes runs straight, takes good options, and delivers the ball.

Is always where you want him, whether up in attack or back in defence.

Full credit.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
I'd rather have Hynes than Lote at the Tahs.
I'd rather have Lote, but with Hynes' attitude. Not saying it's gonna happen, though... Never know, maybe Lote might work a bit harder after some time out of the Wallabies to "earn" a spot again. Could be a good thing. I think his on field attitude has been much better this year. He's run straighter with Deans overseeing him. Could still get better. This in no way detracts from Hynes' efforts.

R

rugbywhisperer

Up till recent games I would have not have considered him, I didn't have time for him and I couldn't see what Deans saw in him, but it was obviously something.
On this tour he has matured beyond imagination. He is now a a far better player after his experiences with Deans and will be a far better player next year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lote has been pretty bloody good this season, his workrate has been much much better, not up to Hynes but very good

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm fairly underwhelmed by Hynes and I've described him our answer to Caleb Ralph. Its amazing how far a player can go just based on what they don't do, ie: fuck up. Hynes has little firepower and teams love kicking it to him knowing he can't hurt them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Disagree but that is neither here nor there.

Actually I had a high regard for Ralph as a footie player. He did all the right things but was as slow as a wet week later in his career and therefore ineffective. He was dangerous as a young player.

I think that Hynes is a lot more threatening; although the S14 is not test level, he was one of the few players on the Reds RSA tour that played well and who can forget that try he score running through one of the Saffer teams. That's when I picked in my Oz squad for the winter tests.

And coming across to snuff out Cipriani on his second break at HQ the other night was typical of his work.

The Oz wingers haven't been exactly over-supplied with good ball this year and some of them do little more than chase kicks. That's one of the problems with having runners and not ball players in the backline.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I like Hynes. He does an awful lot of tidying up. Would the Poms have won had Tuqiri played instead of Hynes on Sat? I know they play on opposite wings, but Tuquiri wouldnt have made the cover tackles Hynes did.

Maybe Robbie is keeping Tuquiri on tour knowing he needs the most indoctrination about the team culture. We havent heard a peep out of him either which is fantastic. Robbie lets the captain speak and the players who perform well. I like it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I also think that he wants to keep Tuqiri training and I think that Tahs coach Hickey will be glad he is.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hynes is consistent & solid plus he's a team player he's always there in cover defence & he is a brilliant tackler hard to recall him ever getting brushed.

I think Drew Mitchells defence has really improved this year he's becoming very reliable & consistent also.

It will be good for Tuqiri to know his spot in the 15 isn't safe.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Lote has been pretty bloody good this season, his workrate has been much much better, not up to Hynes but very good

I can see the work rate arguments, but what an in form Lote has over Hynes - and the rest of the back 3 at the moment - is power and confidence in his running. We've missed those runs that go past 2/3 defenders and then bulldoze another 3 or 4. That creates a lot of space around the park for others.

We were lacking this against the poms. Live at the game our back 3 just seemed a bit lead footed. Not sure if it was the soft surface or what, but I have a mental picture of Hynes having 8 metres to on the outside of the pommie 6 and having no gear change.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
In Lotes defense, having seen him around the team the last 3 weeks, he really is admired by the rest of the team and doesnt act like a dickhead like you might expect.

Like Gagger I miss what he brings to the team, but at the same time I appreciate what Hynes has brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.