• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player Positional Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
After reading the cover story on Wallaby Hookers, I thought for shits and giggles about Wallaby positional switches and imagined what difference, if any, it would make. All hypothetical of course, and plenty of reasons (stats will no doubt show) why it wouldn't work, but here's my list:

1. TPN = Prop
2. Timani = No.8
3. Hooper = 12
4. Fotu = 13 (used to play in France in this position?)
5. Pocock = Hooker
6. Diggers = 13 (has played there before of course)
7. Dingo = Consultant

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Quade - 15
Kurtley - 10
For the wallabies

I like the idea of Pocock at hooker, with thee rise of Hooper and gill, it is intriguing to think about.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Pocock - 12 (or anywhere really)
Higginbotham - 12/13
Fainga'a (either of them) - openside
Tomane - 12/13
JOC (James O'Connor) - 13
TPN - 1/3/8
Timani - 6/8

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Why would you take one of the worlds best (if not THE best) opensides and make them a hooker?

U wouldn't, but it's interesting to think about it in a hypothetical sense, if he could transition without loosing is impact around the ground, having him out there along side gill or hooper would be wonderful at the breakdown.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
In defence I like the idea of TPN at Inside Centre, he would cause a lot of damage to his opponant and possibly change the plans of anybody wanting to play crashball in the centres

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I remember reading that Pocock used to play 12 outside Cooper at school, and that that's why Cooper never learned how to tackle. Pocock would probably dominate the midfield.
Urban myth. Pocock did play ouside Cooper but that had nothing to do with Quade's inability to tackle. Cooper was quite a dominant tackler at schoolboy level but got away with imperfect technique, which is probably what is cruelling him now.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I seem to remember Toutai and Steve Kefu playing in the centres against the Baabas once. I even think Tiquiri once packed down at flanker (and scored his first international try?) during one if the pool matches at RWC 03???? That would have been interesting to see how he could have gone at flanker. Had the build (no doubt not the 'feel' for the position but could he have developed quick enough?) Always felt he wasn't the finisher that we'd all hoped he'd be. Eddie trialled him at 13 too didn't he. But he couldn't really pass.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
(and then there was Gerrard at 5/8 during a Northern Tour midweek game - DISASTER)

OK, natural progression - here is my "Parrallel Universe 22":

1: PALMER
2: MOORE
3: TPN
4: NEVILLE (dunno kinds like his rowing backg)
5: HORWILL
6: PALU (A fit, 80m one)
7: POCOCK
8: TIMANI
9: GENIA
10: COOPER
11: DIGGERS
12: HOOPER
13: HIGGERS
14: JOC (James O'Connor)
15: BEALE

16: HANSON
17: KEPU
18: SIMMONS
19: GILL
20: WHITE (and would use him)
21: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
22: BARNES

Perhaps a huge call not to have McCabe somewhere in there (also because Hooper is probably the same size as him) and not having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) starting, but then we could just point to our percieved 'depth'(!). Like the potential agro in the pack, especially if someone gave Timani some Bath Salts just before the anthems.

Maybe put Higgers at 12, Diggers to 13 and then Tomane on the wing. Hooper to bench replacing Gill? Christ, it even sounds like we have depth now! Would also try and buy Karmichael Hunt during the offseason.

Having picked so many players out of position, I will have also shortlisted myself as the next Wallaby coach. As Coach, my first decision would be to shorten our Rebuilding Phase from 5 years to 3.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I could see Pat McCabe as a David Croft like openside, bandaged & bloodied. Kid is a warrior.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
The one serious positional swap I'd curious to see is TPN at No. 8. I think he played this position when he was younger and it would allow us to have both him and Moore on the field at the same time, and also him not throwing line outs, which is still his one weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.