• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Over the years I've met with hundreds of senior mining executives and visited mining operations both here and abroad , in my time I have never met a mining executive that owns his primary family residence in close proximity of a mine's operations ..funny that ! Also I would say that most operations provide a positive influence for the community at large , but there are trade offs regarding the environment which is a grey area and constantly need calibrating in order to attempt to maintain the national estate for future generations ...policies and laws often fail to keep pace with the challenges that progress dictates ... if you sit back in these instances it may be too late , activism has a role eg. The Rocks precinct in Sydney and currently The Great Barrier Reef , CSG water table and chemical issues etc , I suspect if you delved into the CV's of some of the movers & shakers at the ARU , share portfolio's , commercial arrangements it may be prudent to leave well enough alone when considering dealing with Pocock who appears to have little to gain in a monetary sense from his considered actions . Often corporations do not have the countries interests to heart ( being seen to show an interest is just good business sense ) Developers fight communities primarily for one purpose = profits , Pocock and many others realise this . I'm not sure I agree with this particular protest but I defend his ability to protest in this manner . And yes I do own mining stocks and know some of the senior executives of the mining company in question and like them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
David was arrested supporting something that he believes in strongly, while we at the ARU do not condone such activity, we respect the rights of our players to stand-up for their beliefs. David will not be reprimanded for this.

Something like that will suffice.

I guess if he keeps doing it, more people will take an interest in rugby.

What if a different player starts protesting an issue that doesn't have as much public support (let's say someone protesting against women's reproductive rights).

I'm not saying that's a likely situation, but I do think it's problematic having a player arrested and charged even if they're doing something that most of the public supports. The ARU's reaction is relevant and could potentially set a precedent.

Pocock will almost certainly have no conviction recorded against him. If he does a similar thing again though, that probably wouldn't be the case.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not necessarily comparing these two cases, merely noting that precedents exist.

Peter Norman, 1942 -2006.

wfwnyqtw-1350000786.jpg

"After the final, Carlos and Smith had told Norman what they were planning to do during the ceremony. As Martin Flanagan wrote; "They asked Norman if he believed in human rights. He said he did. They asked him if he believed in God. Norman, who came from a Salvation Army background, said he believed strongly in God. We knew that what we were going to do was far greater than any athletic feat. He said, 'I'll stand with you'." Carlos said he expected to see fear in Norman's eyes. He didn't; I saw love."

On the way out to the medal ceremony, Norman saw the OPHR badge being worn by Paul Hoffman, a white member of the US Rowing Team, and asked him if he could wear it. It was Norman who suggested that Smith and Carlos share the black gloves used in their salute, after Carlos left his pair in the Olympic Village. This is the reason for Smith raising his right fist, while Carlos raised his left.

Australia's Olympic authorities reprimanded him for his gesture and the Australian media ostracised him.

On 11 October 2012 the Australian Parliament passed the wording of an official apology that read:

PETER NORMAN
The order of the day having been read for the resumption of the debate on the motion of Dr Leigh— That this House:
(1) recognises the extraordinary athletic achievements of the late Peter Norman, who won the silver
medal in the 200 metres sprint running event at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, in a time of 20.06
seconds, which still stands as the Australian record;
(2) acknowledges the bravery of Peter Norman in donning an Olympic Project for Human Rights
badge on the podium, in solidarity with African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John
Carlos, who gave the ‘black power’ salute;
(3) apologises to Peter Norman for the wrong done by Australia in failing to send him to the 1972
Munich Olympics, despite repeatedly qualifying; and
(4) belatedly recognises the powerful role that Peter Norman played in furthering racial equality—
Debate resumed by Dr Leigh who moved, by leave, as an amendment—Omit paragraph (3), substitute:
(3) apologises to Peter Norman for the treatment he received upon his return to Australia, and the
failure to fully recognise his inspirational role before his untimely death in 2006.

I would have thought a better example would have been Mohumad Ali and his anti-conscription/war stand that he was gaoled for and stripped of his boxing championships IIRR.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Most civilised country's live by The Rule of Law.

Laws are passed by Legislators and enforced by the relevant police or DPP, dependant upon the severity of the "crime"

Pocock has deliberately used his high profile to bring publicity to the cause.

He should be dealt with, firstly by the Courts, then because he has brought the game into disrepute severly punished by the Brumbies and the ARU.

Personally, its a storm in a teacup but imagine a high profile player coming out and publicly supporting his private views on femanism, abortion, homosexual rights, gun laws etc.

Supporting those views is one thing but doing a deliberate criminal act is totally another.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Most civilised country's live by The Rule of Law.

Laws are passed by Legislators and enforced by the relevant police or DPP, dependant upon the severity of the "crime"

Pocock has deliberately used his high profile to bring publicity to the cause.

He should be dealt with, firstly by the Courts, then because he has brought the game into disrepute severly punished by the Brumbies and the ARU.

Personally, its a storm in a teacup but imagine a high profile player coming out and publicly supporting his private views on femanism, abortion, homosexual rights, gun laws etc.

Supporting those views is one thing but doing a deliberate criminal act is totally another.

Well, he already has on gay rights

The ACT government’s same-sex marriage legislation can ‘‘open the floodgates’’ for Australia, but rugby union star David Pocock is still refusing to seal his own relationship legally until all his gay friends around the country are afforded the same right.

Wallabies and ACT Brumbies player Pocock and his partner Emma Palandri pledged in 2011 to not get married until same-sex marriage was legalised in Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have thought a better example would have been Mohumad Ali and his anti-conscription/war stand that he was gaoled for and stripped of his boxing championships IIRR.

It probably needs to be considered with the Peter Norman example that the guy was treated as a leper in Australia by the AOC, AAF etc. until well after his death.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
aside to the event: this got more coverage on a national radio broadcast this morning than rugby in general ever has. Not just in the news segment, but as active discussion amongst hosts and callers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That doesn't mean he's homosexual !!!!!!!!!!

No more than anyone who supported the Bingham Cup is either.

Time to move away from comment on players sexual orientation or preferences.

Rugby has a place for everyone: gay, straight, fat, thin, short, fast, slow, disabled, deaf, nudist (only in Dunedin that i am aware of), strong, weak, blind (BYO whistle, or flag on a short stick:)), male, female, rich, poor, shiraz connoisseur, cask guzzler, beer swiller or craft beer hipster.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
No more than anyone who supported the Bingham Cup is either.

Time to move away from comment on players sexual orientation or preferences.

Rugby has a place for everyone: gay, straight, fat, thin, short, fast, slow, disabled, deaf, nudist (only in Dunedin that i am aware of), strong, weak, blind (BYO whistle, or flag on a short stick:)), male, female, rich, poor, shiraz connoisseur, cask guzzler, beer swiller or craft beer hipster.

Holy crap HJ

you have mentioned groups of persons that I had never thought of, but my transgender friend was horrified you missed him/her out

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thankfully over here there's a requirement of a reasonable response when it comes to trespassers. So you and the courts and parliament operate on different value sets so you'll probably want to re-asses your actions if someone ever walks on your front lawn.

Yeah well I don't think that's a good law so I'm coming over to your place to protest - you wont be able to get into or out of your house and will not be able to earn an income while i stage my protest.
I strongly believe in this so that's fair enough isn't it?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Civil disobedience and a definition of non-peaceful protest including trespassing on Crown Land. Interesting that these points are brought up to ensure conformity with the Laws protecting not individuals but the rights of Enterprises/Corporations which have somehow throughout the Capitalist world assumed the rights of individual citizens and in some cases more. The Law is to an increasingly to an alarming degree being used to promote inequality in our society with those who have better funding able to ensure that matters are found in their favour.

There is no comparison with this to being arrested for infringing on the rights of another individual citizen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Morally there is room for your view but legally your are wrong.
I am sure there are posters on here who's occupations would be in jeopardy of they took up protests conducted in this manner. Perhaps for some even expressing views on here impacts on their occupation.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Morally there is room for your view but legally your are wrong.
I am sure there are posters on here who's occupations would be in jeopardy of they took up protests conducted in this manner. Perhaps for some even expressing views on here impacts on their occupation.

Sorry mate legally not wrong, just in that grey area. Trespass and chaining to equipment MAY get one charged, but often will result in arrest, removal from the scene and release. The biggest issue is that of the potential for injury to individuals by being in and around machinery and the liabilities for that.

Under our legal system and the inordinate power of the Corporation to out last the citizen in litigation has led to this sort of action being the only resort to stop, or at least highlight the activities of said corporations.

Long after Whitehaven Coal has divested itself of the shelf company it is using whatever shelf companies they have set up for the venture, the issues will remain for the residents and the community as a whole.

I come back to the individual all the time and the Law should be for the citizen first and foremost.

As for Pocock, I don't agree with many of his causes, but judge him in the manner of that great civil disobedience protester Martin Luther King who dreamed "judged by the content of his character" and he is showing plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.