• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Looks like he's staking a claim for immediate inclusion in the wallaby squad.
No doubt the fact that this was a protest will lead to general acceptance that he should be allowed to follow his conscience.
If you want to follow your conscience you don't take the $$$ that come with the contract you sign with the ARU.

B

Bobby Sands

Looks like he's staking a claim for immediate inclusion in the wallaby squad.
No doubt the fact that this was a protest will lead to general acceptance that he should be allowed to follow his conscience.
If you want to follow your conscience you don't take the $$$ that come with the contract you sign with the ARU.

errrrr, because he has a moral conscience he can't be a professional rugby player? or he isn't allowed to earn a decent wage? Right.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
errrrr, because he has a moral conscience he can't be a professional rugby player? or he isn't allowed to earn a decent wage? Right.

Not sure what other type of conscience there is, but the answer is "No". I suspect that if you can't see for yourself why then no amount of explaining on my part will bring you to understanding, but I'll try - once.
Civil disobedience brings the game into disrepute.
he can go and earn money, if that's his motivation, in France or Japan and protest all he likes because he is not cloaked in Wallaby legitimacy.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good on him, must have taken some balls to risk the possible ARU contractual repercussions to stick up for something he believes in.

After reading his book, I was gobsmacked at how impressive he is in the top 4 inches. Respect isn't a powerful enough word to describe him. I think he is set to do some wonderful things in this world long after his rugby days are finished.

That he walks the walk rather than talk the talk makes that respect all the more higher. I think if there, I would have chained myself to that bulldozer also just out of inspiration.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Can't believe anyone here thinks that being arrested is a positive example to set. Don't care what it's for, if you feel passionately about something there are numerous legal options to pursue to make your point without have to break the law (this is Australia and he isn't Aung San Suu Kyi).

Should be dealt with in the same way as any other ARU contracted players arrest.

On another note it is easy to take the moral high road on mining when living in a country, that quite frankly without mining would be broke, dark and with a considerably lower standard of living.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The more I hear about this kid, the more I like him. His work ethic is also second to none. Not having him on the training paddock and in the dressing shed has been a big loss.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Can't believe anyone here thinks that being arrested is a positive example to set. Don't care what it's for, if you feel passionately about something there are numerous legal options to pursue to make your point without have to break the law (this is Australia and he isn't Aung San Suu Kyi).

Should be dealt with in the same way as any other ARU contracted players arrest.

On another note it is easy to take the moral high road on mining when living in a country, that quite frankly without mining would be broke, dark and with a considerably lower standard of living.

You probably did not see the article, but he was chained next to a fifth generation farmer, who is concerned about the impact on the farming land in the region. Believe it or not, there is more than one source of income in this country.

Also, what happens when those who create and monitor the regulations that allow for such a mine to be built become beholden to one or two powerful interests? Isn't this half the trouble with property developers and politicians fronting ICAC this year? Sometimes the law is an ass.

(in retrospect, flying a bit close to the sun in light of the closure of the politics thread - feel free to delete this post if that's the case)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
14 posts deep and no Waratahs conspiracy theory raise yet.

The mine was in NSW and NSW Police Force conducted the arrest.

Standards are slipping.

Well I was going to say that he wasn't an innocent clean cut boy boy like Michael Hooper but thought that might have been a little cheeky.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not necessarily comparing these two cases, merely noting that precedents exist.

Peter Norman, 1942 -2006.

wfwnyqtw-1350000786.jpg

"After the final, Carlos and Smith had told Norman what they were planning to do during the ceremony. As Martin Flanagan wrote; "They asked Norman if he believed in human rights. He said he did. They asked him if he believed in God. Norman, who came from a Salvation Army background, said he believed strongly in God. We knew that what we were going to do was far greater than any athletic feat. He said, 'I'll stand with you'." Carlos said he expected to see fear in Norman's eyes. He didn't; I saw love."

On the way out to the medal ceremony, Norman saw the OPHR badge being worn by Paul Hoffman, a white member of the US Rowing Team, and asked him if he could wear it. It was Norman who suggested that Smith and Carlos share the black gloves used in their salute, after Carlos left his pair in the Olympic Village. This is the reason for Smith raising his right fist, while Carlos raised his left.

Australia's Olympic authorities reprimanded him for his gesture and the Australian media ostracised him.

On 11 October 2012 the Australian Parliament passed the wording of an official apology that read:

PETER NORMAN
The order of the day having been read for the resumption of the debate on the motion of Dr Leigh— That this House:
(1) recognises the extraordinary athletic achievements of the late Peter Norman, who won the silver
medal in the 200 metres sprint running event at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, in a time of 20.06
seconds, which still stands as the Australian record;
(2) acknowledges the bravery of Peter Norman in donning an Olympic Project for Human Rights
badge on the podium, in solidarity with African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John
Carlos, who gave the ‘black power’ salute;
(3) apologises to Peter Norman for the wrong done by Australia in failing to send him to the 1972
Munich Olympics, despite repeatedly qualifying; and
(4) belatedly recognises the powerful role that Peter Norman played in furthering racial equality—
Debate resumed by Dr Leigh who moved, by leave, as an amendment—Omit paragraph (3), substitute:
(3) apologises to Peter Norman for the treatment he received upon his return to Australia, and the
failure to fully recognise his inspirational role before his untimely death in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.