• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
From everything I read the NSW Labor party currently take the cake in Australian politics.

Anyway, Scarfies stats have NSW Labor being well ahead of Qld Labor in popularity stakes. The reality of course is that if either of us had a decent opposition, then Labor would probably not be in power.

Scarfy,

Interesting your comment on the newspapers up here, because I got the distinct feeling during the last state election that they covered Labor a lot more (as well as television media) - this could be more to do with the marketing skills (or lack thereof) of the opposition though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Anyway, Scarfies stats have NSW Labor being well ahead of Qld Labor in popularity stakes. The reality of course is that if either of us had a decent opposition, then Labor would probably not be in power.

Well, Scotty, our Labor lot are so bad G&GR could put a crew up against them and win next year. Labor in NSW are on their way to the cemetery and nothing can save them.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Scotty - yes, it is interesting. The C-M and Aussie are both for the Federal Coalition, but lean towards State Labor. I dunno why.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
NSW stat labour paryt wins hands down in the ineptness stakes. I have a died in the wool labour party member working for me, goes to all the meetings, fund raisers, hands out pamphlets etc. and even he is thinking of not voting for them next time.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Scotty said:

Well, Scotty, our Labor lot are so bad G&GR could put a crew up against them and win next year. Labor in NSW are on their way to the cemetery and nothing can save them.
I haven't heard talk like that since 2008. What a great election, Iemma's mob paid $25 mil to the now broke Connector Motorways to delay the opening of the Lane Cove Tunnel and associated cluster fucking of Epping road till the day after the election, thinking the public would be too stupid to realise. Seems they were right about the public, who duly elected Iemma who begat Rees who begat Keneally.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Not that much wrong with Rees, I thought. Nelson Mandela couldn't pull the NSW Labor Party together.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't know how the commies got in at the last election here in NSW. Carr announces his retirement, knowing the whole thing is about to fall into a shit heap, and sits pretty on his taxpayer golden handshake despite being one of the instigators of most of the issues. Smoke and mirrors.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
It's as much the NSW Lib's fault as Labor's. They have continually failed to be a credible opposition. At the last election, they put up Peter Debnan, who made the Mad Monk look like Ghandi, and was completely unelectable.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I don't need Miranda Devine to tell me that Peter Debnam was laughably unelectable. Divine attempted to make the case that the NSW lunatic right were hard done by. Keep going Miranda, stir enough shit amongst the Libs and you'll get Labor back in power yet.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/green-funding-blows-a-fuse/story-e6frg6nf-1225829894196

More unintended consequences from poorly thought through policies. The government is destroying their own green agenda.

AUSTRALIA is facing a renewable energy investment "strike", with projects worth billions of dollars on hold and workers being sacked because of a flaw in the policy that was supposed to drive the switch to large-scale clean power.

The renewable energy target was originally set by the Howard government as the mechanism to encourage investment in the renewables sector in the lead-up to an emissions trading scheme.

The program hit a roadblock after changes were made to it by the Rudd government to solve a blow-out in the cost of its $8000 solar rebate program.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Peter Costello writing in today's smh.. nicely balanced article as you'd expect, however I have to admit the humour and wit took me by surprise, never seemed like a funny guy..

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/the-streets-of-conroy-are-paved-with-gold-20100216-o8ro.html
You've got to look at it from Senator Stephen Conroy's perspective. The fact Mike Kaiser had been involved in branch stacking is not a matter of shame. He was working on behalf of the Right faction. He was an ally. He was successful. He should not have attracted embarrassing publicity. And for that he has to accept a penalty.

The penalty is he cannot run the Queensland ALP machine. This means he can take a $450,000 job in the new NBN company to be established with taxpayers' money. And $450,000 is nothing when you are getting the taxpayers to stump up $43 billion.

Conroy is not what you would call a policy wonk. He has risen in politics by running numbers: in the unions, in the Victorian ALP factions, in the federal caucus. To keep all those people voting the right way you need to be able to deliver returns. Faithful servants need to know they have good employment prospects. This is where Kaiser becomes a role model. Kaiser's doing OK. Conroy recommended Kaiser for a job. And he can recommend others who show loyal service over a long period.

NBN Co will be a fantastic opportunity for job seekers. Most companies start small. This one is going to start with $43 billion. Since it has no pre-existing business it will recruit from the ground up, or as happened in the Kaiser case, from the minister down.

Here's another reason to get Kaiser involved. NBN Co needs a few numbers men. Before the election it was going to cost $4.7 billion to roll out broadband but now it is costed at $43 billion. Labor's pre-election costing was out by a factor of 10 (only a zero on the end). Barnaby Joyce is not the only one mixing up his arithmetic.

As a country accountant, Joyce would know one thing. Before you put $43 billion into a company you normally have a business plan that shows some hope of a return. Yet last week the Treasury admitted it has not done a cost benefit analysis. Nor has anyone. Remember how the government pledged that all its infrastructure spending would be rigorously tested against objective criteria? Apparently that doesn't apply to projects over $40 billion. The ominous lack of a business case demonstrates the utter irrelevance of Treasury to such an important decision.

Here is the senator's genius: the budget is in deep deficit, the government desperately needs money, and this week he announced a tax cut worth at least $250 million. Conroy announced it, not the Prime Minister or Treasurer. This tax cut will be shared between three companies. Never before has a Sunday press release delivered so much to so few.

Normally tax cuts are announced in the budget, the result of the government working out how much revenue it needs and, if it can cut tax, assessing competing claims between, say, retirees or carers or … television stations. The stations won't have to go through the budget process. Nor will Conroy have to argue why media owners are more deserving of tax cuts than the poor or struggling families.

If you want to know how valuable these tax cuts are, Channel Ten's share price jumped 10 per cent on the announcement, delivering $150 million to shareholders. It's harder to assess the gain for Seven and Nine shareholders as they are mostly private equity firms in foreign jurisdictions. But they have reason to be thankful.

Until now the government had said it cannot announce any tax relief because it was waiting for the comprehensive tax review by Ken Henry. The television owners have gazumped all that. It no longer matters what Henry recommends on television taxes. This industry's wish list has been granted.

Every other industry unlikely to get a tax cut out of Henry should get in now. The sooner the better: someone is going to pay more since the television shareholders are going to pay less.

All of this goes to show Conroy has done rather well for the people he represents. I am sure he will regard it as a compliment when I say he is emerging as a real operator - a worthy successor to that other great Labor communications minister, Graham Richardson.

Peter Costello is a former Liberal federal treasurer.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Once heard him guest commentate on an AFL game on radio down in Melbourne. He was very good, kept up with the play and hardly said a word wrong and quite funny at times. Changed my opinion of him. Don't know why he didn't show that side to the public more, as it really would have improved his popularity.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

We now have up to 40% of insulation installed being not up to the required standards!

And some insulation potentially toxic:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politics/rudd-unaware-of-toxic-roof-batts/story-e6frgczf-1225831382501

Surely it is time that Garrett was fired.

Mr Rudd also refused to say whether he or his department received advice not to roll out the $3.7 billion ceiling insulation rebate scheme so quickly due to safety concerns.

When quizzed on the issue by reporters in Canberra, he said his advice, from Mr Garrett, was that the minister worked his way through the relevant product safety standards, workplace safety standards and training issues.

"The minister was charged, as you would expect, with any such program, with the implementation of the decision taken by the cabinet to go in this direction.''

The prime minister defended Mr Garrett's decision not to attend a meeting between government officials and electrical contractors in Canberra on Monday.

``In my advice, the meeting had been organised as a technical level meeting and the relevant technical representatives of the department and associated agencies of the government were there.''

Family First Leader senator Steve Fielding said today evidence to a Senate inquiry in Melbourne today suggested that 30-40 per cent of installers used inferior products that failed to meet basic compliance standards.

“It’s scandalous that a billion dollars can be wasted by a government while working families are left struggling to make ends meet,” Senator Fielding said.

“What we’ve got here is a gross waste of taxpayers’ money that can never be recouped because this government can't manage itself out of a wet paper bag.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Senator Fielding IS a wet paper bag. Among the very least qualified people to govern that I've seen.

PC's article is a good one. Much better than anything in the Murdoch Press, above, Scotty.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
For the insulation scheme we have now had:

1. 4 installer deaths
2. Several live roof cavities from metal fasteners
3. Potentially toxic gases being released
4. Insufficient insulation characteristics
5. Cheap imported materials being used (this was supposed to stimulate our economy)
6. Some non-green products used (why weren't we using recycled materials)

Surely the government has to do two things:

1. Sack Garrett
2. Prosecute the dodgy installers using dodgy products and attempt to reclaim their (our) money

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
7. Batts placed over light fittings in ceilings leading to heat entrapment
and/or potential fire hazards.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Kevin has decided that there are too many problems with his country party so he'd better stay home this year:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/rudd-cancels-gallipoli-trip/story-e6frg6nf-1225831556484

As the leader of the opposition before the 2007 election, Mr Rudd attacked John Howard's overseas travel as prime minister and described Mr Howard's total travel bill of $13.5 million in nine years as a waste of taxpayers' money.

But in his first two years in office Mr Rudd has spent 110 days overseas compared with Mr Howard's 390 days overseas in 11 1/2 years.

So in his first two years he spent 15% of his time overseas, by contrast Howard spent 9% of his time overseas. Ironic that it was something that Rudd critisised Howard about.

Status
Not open for further replies.