• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pom Vs Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
From memory he just awarded the team with the put in the free kick or penalty. It is the safest thing for a ref to do, unless the discretion is blatant.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Turban said:
And back on the topic of scrums, on one occation when we were penalised it looked to this flanker that the English scrum had stepped backwards on the hit and pulled us down with them. Not sure how the ref saw it but he awarded their dangerous tactic with a penalty :nta:

I'm going to watch the replay at some point so I'll summarise the scrum indiscretions if I can get a decent shot of what happened.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scotty said:
The absence of Barnes and the balance he gave to us at 12 in the Sydney Bledisloe has brought us back to the field. We have no other player of his type to play 12 in the country, but the good news is that we cobbled together a victory without him.
Isn't it funny how last year Connolly was castigated by many a NSW supporter for picking Barnes for the RWC squad, even though it was clear at the time Barnes had better credentials than the likes of Beale.

Ground. Old. Rake.

Scotty, I've had a good look around the recent match fixtures and I'm buggered if I can find a game anywhere involving NSW. But I did notice a few matches involving Australia somewhere or other.

Do try and keep up.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
A few pages ago someone mentioned the game. Anyway, what I really liked was the way the Wallabies are hitting the line in attack AND defence subtly differently. Wouldn't you say? It's particularly noticeable in defence, when they sort of do a combined tackle/lying down on the wrong side that reminds me of someone ...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ground. Old. Rake.

Scotty, I've had a good look around the recent match fixtures and I'm buggered if I can find a game anywhere involving NSW. But I did notice a few matches involving Australia somewhere or other.

Do try and keep up.

Fair enough. Onwards and upwards for a united Wallaby front.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
A few pages ago someone mentioned the game. Anyway, what I really liked was the way the Wallabies are hitting the line in attack AND defence subtly differently. Wouldn't you say? It's particularly noticeable in defence, when they sort of do a combined tackle/lying down on the wrong side that reminds me of someone ...

Scarfie, you are right, and something we haven't talked about enough. The biggest difference from the end of the 3N to the game in HK was the defensive line. They are really getting up and in the faces of the attacking team, and have almost turned it into an attacking weapon. It has been the biggest improvement by far in our game over this season, and is starting to get back to where it was a few years back.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yes, but differently. It was extremely determined defence, but with one eye on turning defence into attack. Or at least, milking a penalty. And I noticed all the ball runners more determined to deliver quick ball than I've seen in a while. Not enough pop passes, and a few rucks where no-one showed up, but I like the way we're heading.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I like the power and pace of the forward ball runners around the rucks.

I remember not too long ago it was David Lyons and no-one else. Now there's Brown, MMM, Mumm, Moore, Palu. Sharpe and Chis almost looking dangerous. Elsom and Big Kev to come back.

A few more pop passes as mentioned above would make this a pretty awesome attacking platform.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would like to see the likes of Palu or Brown run a bit wider now and then, outside flyhalf as a crash baller or dummy runner. Palu would be a nightmare for the opposition flyhalf to try and tackle.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Mortlock hit on Flutey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9junO9RrNA

With these touch judges he was lucky not to be penalised, but it would have been worth it the lift it gave the team.

Also in this sequence is Cross' impressive turnover, and an example of one of those little no-where runs that Burgess made a habit of last Saturday. In his defence I wonder if it was the front row midfield between him and the overlap that dissuaded him....

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
I would like to see the likes of Palu or Brown run a bit wider now and then, outside flyhalf as a crash baller or dummy runner. Palu would be a nightmare for the opposition flyhalf to try and tackle.

And I would like to see the Wallaby coaching stuff take notes of whatever you recommend and do the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.