• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Poms are the bogeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Haven’t got too much to go on other than some highlights against Ireland and Wales in the pre WC warm up (and last year’s series), but I reckon England will be our bogey team rather than the Blacks. We love playing the ABs and kind of know how to play them (10 straight losses notwithstanding), whereas the Poms raise it another level when they play us – especially in the forwards. And with Tuilagi in the side, they have a talisman center that does what the Blacks were hoping SBW was going to do. If we can get past them, we would be looking schweet.

S

Skippy

I don't know about Tuilangi. I doubt he will still be in the starting team by the knock out rounds. He is very prone to coming out of his line and coming up with no one whilst going for the big hit. And makes a lot of defensive misreads. He's still young and learning and players like Quade, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale will run him round in cirlces.

Armitage has played quite well in the friendlies and I can see him moving into 13 later in the WC with Tindall at 12. Or even Flood at 12 and Tindall at 13.

Englands backs don't worry me at all. They've got nothing in attack, no organisation and don't make space for anyone. They're counter attack is limited. However, your right the England forwards always invariably perform against Aus and will present a real challenge. If it's wet and Wilkinson kicks his goals, a England 10 man game plan will be a tough old day at the office for Australia.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah might be a bit of man-love there for Tuilagi. Always wished we'd be able to pluck some barnstorming steamroller centre out of clubland to throw in among the QCs, KBs and Justin Beebs who can shred the line. We've never had one really (Higginbotham?) although Digs and Sanchez always find the gaps. It would just be nice to have a scarier McCabe in the line around whom everyone else can dance.

S

Skippy

I actually could see the Poms getting knocked out early. Whilst not doubting their strengths - lineouts/scrum/decent forward pack. I think they've got a lot of weaknesses.

Scrum half is a real problem area and they will be relying on Ben Youngs to overcome injury and find form quickly.

Wilkinson whilst playing reasonably well still sits too deep and struggles to get his backline going, they are poor at counter attack which is a key area of the game now especially kick return, and from the friendlies I watched, they really don't seem to have any clear game plan or idea of what they are trying to achieve.

They have little presence 'on the ball' like Pococky, Brussow and/or McCaw and Moody, whilst a real goer is just not in the same class. Easter is a lumbering player and will really struggle in an up tempo game on a dry pitch. Lawes is still a work in progress, can be easily rattled and can go missing. He can hit though also!

Croft is world class but hooker is another problem area with Thompson prone to poor throws.

As I said, the best hope they've got is a real wet and windy WC and the game being played in very much English conditions. And they just keep it tight, kick to the corners and take penalty goals and drop goals all day.

They have to overcome Argentina and Scotland in the pools and I can see them losing atleast one of these - possible Scotland. But if the Argies pull one out of the bag and win the first game... puts a lot of pressure on England to put away Scotland.

Losing twice would see them out perhaps. Losing once puts them in line for a All Black or SAfrican QF by my calculations.

Win both, and win the pool and they are on Australia's side of the draw (SF match up possibly).

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The one thing that might help them is the weather is likely to be less the dry.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I have said since the last world cup that England will again be the team to beat. They have a lot of pride in the jersey and have done well in recent years. Because of the wet conditions they play in over there they are a very skilled team in keeping the ball in the tight and starving you of possesion. Whilst the conditions would encourage fast ruck ball and ball movement it has been my view that they last 2 world cups have been won by tactics i suggested earlier.

This makes me a little bit concerned given that the All Blacks on Saturday (Now that i have settled down from the win) rucked and mauled the ball from their 22 to eventually score. I don't know if this is a skill that we have. What i do know is that we have the talent and the ability to score tries from anywhere on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.