• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Poms Vs Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Please select a good side Robbie.

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Chisolm
5. Mumm
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper/Beale
11. Mitchell
12. Gits
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

or

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Chisolm
5. Mumm
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper/Beale
11. Ioane
12. Gits
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Hynes
15. Tuner

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't expect changes.

All those who didn't play will do so on Tuesday.

The Deans will keep this test team together again.

R

Richard D. James

Oh god, I hope he doesn't keep Cross.

I like the teams Spook's posted

P

PhucNgo

Richard D. James said:
Oh god, I hope he doesn't keep Cross.

I like the teams Spook's posted

Yeah, but please lets not talk about Beale.

I think that Thomson coming back into the England team definitely signals a back to bully-boy approach is on the cards. Just look at the body language and eyes of the wallabies forwards in the latter part of tonites match. They were obviously very low on confidence and it showed. Just ripe for the picking. These guys are technically and physically competent but lack confidence and the aggression that comes from it (or the confidence that comes from aggression - whichever). If they don't grow this quick smart they'll be wasted.

R

Richard D. James

oh yes, should have clarified.

Cooper, not Beale. :thumb

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I agree PN. Just before the Conrad Smith try I was explaining to the wife that the Wallabies were mentally frail and every time a little thing goes wrong (like the ball hitting the corner post but the rules changing) they drop their heads. Pussies. Bloody Zen Deans needs to fuck off.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I agree PN. Just before the Conrad Smith try I was explaining to the wife that the Wallabies were mentally frail and every time a little thing goes wrong (like the ball hitting the corner post but the rules changing) they drop their heads. Pussies. Bloody Zen Deans needs to fuck off.
Who do we report identity theft to on the forum? I think WJ has stolen Scarfy's control panel.
Whoever is in control, I agree 100%. Soft. Except for Smith who looked seriously pissed off when he came on - doesn't like pine apparently, and good to see.
Oh yeah, I'll have Spook's 1st XV thanks

P

PhucNgo

Scarfman said:

Your wife was actually still talking to you by that stage? Mine wasn't, I suffer terribly from Spectator Tourets, which doesn't go down well (as you'd imagine).

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
PhucNgo said:
Your wife was actually still talking to you by that stage? Mine wasn't, I suffer terribly from Spectator Tourets, which doesn't go down well (as you'd imagine).

She said: "I can't believe you're not swearing."

I just didn't expect anything different.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hynes let in the first try. I didn't think his performance was great.

The talk about Genia having a poor game is unfair. He had trouble getting fast ball out because the ABs were slowing it down beautifully (if the ref allows it its not cheating) and the Wallaby forwards didnt show enough aggression. eg At one stage, about 65mins in, Mumm and Cowan had a bit of a scuffle. Mumm gave him a little shove and that was it. Would Bakkies have let a halfback giving him lip off with a little shove. Mumm should have shoved him to fullback and then gone looking for Brad Thorn. That's what the problem is with the Wallabies pack.

The ABs slowing the ball cruelled us and the few times we got behind the ad line we werent able to take advantage of it. Pocock played well but I'd still pick Smith.

Elsom needs to lead. He has never been dominant in the big games.

Next Game

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Chisolm
5. Mumm
6. Elsom
7. Smith
8. Palu

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Gits
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

The only alternative would be:

11. Hynes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Ioane
15. Mitchell

Spook - resist your temptation to throw To'omua to the lions. He's not starting in the CC and nor is he dominating. A test match is a much sterner examination.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Don't blame Mumm, Cutter. He is exactly the least of our problems. I suppose 12 test matches later Deans will figure out what we all knew at the start of the year, that Deano is pretty close to our best lock.

Hynes needs a walking frame. Solid player, and one of the few backs to go to a barber like a real man, but is not quite test standard.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well Mumm played very well at lock in the S14, and had pretty limited time on the field in any of the previous Tests. From what time he has had, I think he has performed at least as well as any other lock running around. I think he'd benefit from more time.
On a side note, how is it that 2 big munters like Chisolm and Horwill can be so ineffective at getting over the advantage line. At least Sharpe manages to fall over the advantage line as he gets tackled most times (can't believe I'm typing that) but these 2 do nothing.
I must admit I'd love to see someone put Cowan on his arse - chippy bastard that he is. However I applaud Mumm for resisting the temptation and getting yellowed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the the mid week game will be very important, whoever plays lock, 10,12 & 15 will be trialling for the test side.

Locks aren't there to get over the advantage line, but they are required to be on the hip of the runners driving through and cleaning out

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Our mental frailty up front will be exposed brutally by the Poms, and I don't know what we're going to do about it. Maybe have a few training sessions with Phil Waugh???

S

Spook

Good read by Stuart Barnes:

Australians are playing the long game

DO NOT bet against Australia winning the World Cup in 2011 but wager your mortgage against this 2009 team emulating such great Wallaby teams as the 1984-ers and leaving these shores with another Grand Slam. The Home Nations should give up if they do. Coach Robbie Deans is using this tour as the launch pad for 2011. Australian eyes are staring over the horizon towards New Zealand and the only competition by which this thinly populated rugby union nation judges itself.

The name of the new captain is familiar enough. Rocky Elsom, the outstanding performer in last season’s Heineken Cup with Leinster, has replaced Stirling Mortlock as leader. The blindside is one of the Wallabies’ five world-class players and his will be the standard set and the one followed.

Yet of the four other global reputations, two of them, Nathan Sharpe and that imposing competitor Mortlock, are nursing injuries in Australia while George Smith was replaced for yesterday’s match with New Zealand by the 21-year-old openside flanker David Pocock. This leaves Matt Giteau as the only other bona fide superstar in the Wallaby camp while the ankle injury suffered by Berrick Barnes, the new vice-captain, weakens them even further.

Expect thunder from the new captain and lightning from the fly-half but these talents are the exceptions not the essence of this Wallaby work in progress. David Dennis sums them up better. David who? The 23-year-old flanker has played one Super 14 match, back in 2007. Since then he has injured both knees and played at no higher a level than Sydney University, whom he captained to the New South Wales club championship. It would be the equivalent of Martin Johnson choosing the Exeter Chiefs captain, Tom Hayes, for England’s summer tour of Australia.
Related Links

* Tireless All Blacks wear down Wallabies

* Reborn Wilkinson ready to rule

* Back-to-basics approach puts Stade in the pink

Admittedly Dennis is touring for the experience but other youngsters will take centre stage, none more so than Will Genia, at 21 a scrum-half touted to replace George Gregan. Already capped seven times, he was chosen for the Tri-Nations despite being injured for two months. His game glimmered with occasional touches of gold in Tokyo yesterday but there remain flaws. What would you expect at his age?

Pocock, the man who deposed Smith (another clear indication of the priority given to the future over the present) for yesterday’s starting XV, is another 21-year-old but one whose development is ahead of Genia’s. He is a robust defender and abrasive ball-carrier and — in the best tradition of Australian opensides — a hound at the breakdown. He scavenges and steals superbly. That priceless ability is what usually makes the Wallabies difficult to break down.

Were Pocock and Smith English, nobody would even contemplate that such a supreme performer at international level would be omitted for the rookie but the Wallabies do things differently and that is probably why they have won two World Cups despite their relatively thin playing resources.

As for the latest injury to Barnes, Deans has decided that, whoever the next best in line might be, he is not good enough and has called for Matt To'omua, the Australian Under-20s fly-half. Australia might be struggling for results but they are undaunted in Deans’ pursuit of the long-term goal of 2011; which brings us to James O’Connor, the full-back with the choirboy looks disguising that abrasive Aussie spike. He has just turned 19 and already has 11 caps, seven as a starter and four as a replacement.

He was as fascinating an individual as the Tri-Nations threw up in a rather turgid year’s competition. He could perform as if his destiny was to develop into one of the great players, with his regal unveiling perfectly timed for 2011. On other days , when he was battered and bullied beneath the high-ball game of Australia’s rivals, you wondered whether the NSPCC should be told.

He made some calamitous blunders but never lost self-belief. Through the early errors the talent will emerge. The best talents are not ruined by being recognised prematurely. They are wasted by being ignored when they need promotion. Clive Woodward understood this more than perhaps any other England coach because his formative intellectual rugby spell was during his Manly days. To blood the child Wilkinson in that infamous 76-0 defeat in Brisbane accelerated the learning curve. The lesson has been forgotten in our conservative northern climes and the thought of a precocious talent, perhaps Joe Simpson of Wasps, being unleashed from the bench into international rugby is shelved for the option of an exposed competitor such as Richard Wigglesworth.

What Deans is doing with his selection is brave. The Wallabies might focus more exclusively than we do on the World Cup but five defeats from six Tri-Nations games leaves him little leeway for error. This is essentially a school trip for many of this squad. There is no reason they should not develop, although the reasons they could lose are myriad. The polar opposite applies to England.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
fatprop said:
I think the the mid week game will be very important, whoever plays lock, 10,12 & 15 will be trialling for the test side.

Locks aren't there to get over the advantage line, but they are required to be on the hip of the runners driving through and cleaning out
Sorry, but why, if you have locks that are 198-200 cm and 120 kg, are they not there to get over the advantage line? Sure, if you play a bean-pole that may be so, but these 2 guys are big solid units, and one of Chisolm's touted strengths in the past has been his ball-carrying ability. Why now is that surplus to requirements, just because he has become more a lock than a 6 as he was before? Use the abilities of the players there, whatever they are, I reckon.
I agree a bit with Nick too - the Poms will sniff blood in the water, and although they will field a weaker front five than they hoped, I think they'll fancy their chances of bullying us out of the game, especially at Twatenham with all their pilgrim singers swinging low.

S

Spook

Chisolm and Horwill are massive...but doesn't seem to dent anything.

Who the hell is the lineout coach by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.