• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Priorities For The New ARU CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
BP today in the SMH
I would like us to be a little more commercial around how we run the game. . . if along the way you can be the leading national team in the world, that can be good, too. The initiatives relating to women, sevens, a third-tier competition - I'd like to see many of those starting next year

I have no preconceived ideas of his appointment, ability etc. In fact up untill today I was reasonably impressed with his approach,

But the words in bold have really taken me aback. "That can be good too" ? ? ? ?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In a professional sport, commercial success is more important than anything else.

Obviously, most of us would assume that being the best team in the world would lead to commercial success. But Pulver's first responsibility is to ensure that we have the financial resources to keep the game alive, so that we can challenge the rest of the world. He is a realist.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I thought 'servo' for a nickname, as in his initials BP.

I'm with Aussie D, "Servo" has endless possibilities. It shows some wit and imagination, a bit like Cockney rhyming slang, one removed from William Pulver. And there's a nice balance to Servo Pulver, both with two syllables and a V in the second one.

Some possible lines:

"Servo pours oil on troubled waters."
"SANZAR broadcast debate fuelled by Servo."
"Servo puts rocket up ARU HPU Manager."
"Servo adds fuel to third tier discussions."
" 'We have to pay our way in Aussie sport, we can't run away', says Servo."
"Servo fixes new coach's contract."
" 'Fill 'em up', Servo implores Aussie fans to get to the grounds and watch games live."
" 'We want Super, not Standard', Servo lectures Aussie coaches."

Yep, endless possibilities.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
According to a story in the Terrorgraph, we do not have a sponsor for the Australian component of the Soup competition yet.

Pulver says that he intends to spend the $30 million Lions windfall wisely. I hope so. That equates to $2.5 mill a year until the next one. He might be better off investing it, and spending the income.

Come to think of it, we might have been better off not frittering the World Cup windfall away, too.

These sorts of occasional revenues should NOT be frittered away. Who knows when we will ever get another World Cup? We assume that there will always be Lions tours, but maybe not.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
No sponsor for Super Rugby is really a disgrace. Securing that must be Pulvers immediate priority.

Not only that but David Gallop announced an upgraded second-tier for Football Australia today with a National Premier League. Soccer is doing it where Ruggy, so far, is not:

FFA launches National Premier League
PADDY HIGGS: GOAL.com
With a relegation and promotion system the eventual goal, the FFA have announced the National Premier Leagues model for five federations will kick off in 2013​
Football Federation Australia has taken the first steps towards a second professional tier with the launch of the National Premier League on Wednesday.​
A key part of the National Competitions Review, the football federations of Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania will come together under the NPL model from their 2013 seasons.The winners of each state competition will meet at the end of each season to determine the NPL champion.
It is hoped the NPL will set the foundations for a second division - or 'B-League' - of Australian football, complete with a relegation and promotion system.​
Adhering to a host of changes, the 70 clubs from participating federations will operate under the NPL brand and feature a qualified technical director and adhere to a player points system. They will also be subject to improved financial and business planning schemes, a revised compensation system for players that depart for A-League clubs.​

The federations of Victoria, Northern NSW and Western Australia will follow suit in 2014, with the Northern Territory to operate in a partial capacity.

"The semi-pro state league clubs have long been the engine room of Australia's player development system and have always provided a local focus of football passion across the nation," FFA chief executive officer David Gallop via statement on Wednesday. "Today's launch of the National Premier Leagues model gives the state-based competitions the status and organisational structure they deserve.

"This model is the product of National Competitions Review, a hugely important piece of policy development over the past two years. I commend our member federations, the constituent clubs and the FFA staff for their commitment to the cause. This work will shape football across the nation for years to come."

Gallop continued: "The NCR is a key outcome of our strategic plan which has the objective to better connect community football to the professional tier," he said. "The National Premier League model is a vital conduit from the grassroots to the A-League. The strategy is sound, but now all parties need to redouble their efforts to ensure the implementation brings the desired results.

"In short, our aim is to see highly qualified coaches employed by stable and well-run NPL clubs producing better Australian players from Under-12 to Under-18, then Under-20s and finally to senior ranks."

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No sponsor for Super Rugby is really a disgrace. Securing that must be Pulvers immediate priority.

Not only that but David Gallop announced an upgraded second-tier for Football Australia today with a National Premier League. Soccer is doing it where Ruggy, so far, is not:

FFA launches National Premier League
PADDY HIGGS: GOAL.com
With a relegation and promotion system the eventual goal, the FFA have announced the National Premier Leagues model for five federations will kick off in 2013​
Football Federation Australia has taken the first steps towards a second professional tier with the launch of the National Premier League on Wednesday.​

The lack of a sponsor is not particularly surprising. After all, ARU did not have a full time CEO for most of last year.

As for soccer, all they are doing is re-badging their existing state competitions.

Nothing to see here, folks, move on please.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What about football in SA and WA? Don't FFA care about these places too. I won't even start on NT.

Or is it just rugby where we have to include everyone thereby making it a financial time bomb?

T

TOCC

Given the rumors of Timani, Barnes and Palu heading overseas I'm surprised he didn't say something earlier.

But I do think something needs to be done, this current process isn't very fluid.. I think the ARU needs to either return to a salary limit imposed across every super rugby player of say $150'000 with the ARU offering topups from there... Or they hand the contractual process completely over to super rugby clubs and have the ARU only offer match/tour bonuses...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the ARU needs to provide Wallaby top ups to a very limited number of players and it should be based on how many games you played for the Wallabies in the previous year.

It is harsh on players who get injured but it will mean that some of them get paid their top up for a full year when they haven't played. I.e. Horwill didn't play a test in 2012 but received a Wallaby top up and under this system he wouldn't get one for 2013.

The number of people on these contracts should be very limited (perhaps 15-20 people based on Wallaby tests/minutes in a year).

Most of the weighting should be on match payments and then a during the year top up once you play a certain amount of tests during that year (there is currently a system similar to this).

The highest performing Wallabies who are consistent will earn the most dollars as they will have an existing top up contract and then receive the during the year top up based on playing lots of tests (which will then qualify them for the top up in the next year).

This sort of system seems the fairest to me in that it is standard across the board and is completely measurable based on how many tests/minutes people play.

The most you can be guaranteed to earn without playing any rugby is a top up contract for one season based on being a prolific Wallaby in the season before.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Braveheart81 the underlying problem is structural: the interests of the s 15 clubs and the wobblies rarely align.
All the money comes from the ARU.
he who pays the piper calls the tune.
Central contracting may be (you guys will point out why it isnt) the answer with power to direct players to the franchises.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The lack of a sponsor is not particularly surprising. After all, ARU did not have a full time CEO for most of last year.
A disgrace, regardless of where the finger is pointed. Needs to be fixed ASAP.

As for soccer, all they are doing is re-badging their existing state competitions.

Nothing to see here, folks, move on please.
No, they are doing more than that with National Championships playoffs.

A key part of the National Competitions Review, the football federations of Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania will come together under the NPL model from their 2013 seasons.The winners of each state competition will meet at the end of each season to determine the NPL champion.
..... The federations of Victoria, Northern NSW and Western Australia will follow suit in 2014, with the Northern Territory to operate in a partial capacity.​
If Rugby did the same we'd be in a better place than we are now. Pulver at least is talking about a semi-pro National Club Championship (amongst other proposals) but the FFA will have one next season. The ARU need to follow suit, tout de suite.

T

TOCC

I think the ARU needs to provide Wallaby top ups to a very limited number of players and it should be based on how many games you played for the Wallabies in the previous year.

It is harsh on players who get injured but it will mean that some of them get paid their top up for a full year when they haven't played. I.e. Horwill didn't play a test in 2012 but received a Wallaby top up and under this system he wouldn't get one for 2013.

The number of people on these contracts should be very limited (perhaps 15-20 people based on Wallaby tests/minutes in a year).

Most of the weighting should be on match payments and then a during the year top up once you play a certain amount of tests during that year (there is currently a system similar to this).

The highest performing Wallabies who are consistent will earn the most dollars as they will have an existing top up contract and then receive the during the year top up based on playing lots of tests (which will then qualify them for the top up in the next year).

This sort of system seems the fairest to me in that it is standard across the board and is completely measurable based on how many tests/minutes people play.

The most you can be guaranteed to earn without playing any rugby is a top up contract for one season based on being a prolific Wallaby in the season before.

Some flaws I see in this, is that it doesn't provide a set income and players are going to be reluctant to sign long term contracts if their pay could vary or drop over the duration.. Why sign with the ARU where their pay could vary between $200'000-800'000 each season depending on injury, or you could sign with a European/Japanese team for a set $700'000/annum..

If a player has a bad season with injury and its his last on contract, knowing that the ARU are going to offer him minimum top-up for the next 12 months would see him consider overseas options..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have not thought it through, but on the face of it, we (and other SH nations) would appear to have a lot to gain from the introduction of a system of transfer fees, as in soccer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some flaws I see in this, is that it doesn't provide a set income and players are going to be reluctant to sign long term contracts if their pay could vary or drop over the duration.. Why sign with the ARU where their pay could vary between $200'000-800'000 each season depending on injury, or you could sign with a European/Japanese team for a set $700'000/annum..

If a player has a bad season with injury and its his last on contract, knowing that the ARU are going to offer him minimum top-up for the next 12 months would see him consider overseas options..

I think the biggest problem the ARU faces with the Wallabies is that there isn't enough money to keep 40+ players on big contracts.

The desire to play rugby for Australia has to be the driving force to keep players in the country.

There has to be a system by which the players who play the most rugby for Australia earn the most money.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

T

TOCC

I think the biggest problem the ARU faces with the Wallabies is that there isn't enough money to keep 40+ players on big contracts.

The desire to play rugby for Australia has to be the driving force to keep players in the country.

There has to be a system by which the players who play the most rugby for Australia earn the most money.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

solution.... get more money :/

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
to which BP said on Thursday night the Wallabies were the solution - so pay them more money to get more money so we can pay them more money etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.