• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Less.
Especially in emerging markets like America if there is no guarantee that their team will be in it, but can you imagine the scepticism of an Aussie broadcaster if the wallabies are a chance of been culled
Yup. They won't allow a roll of the dice where they can make it guaranteed.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
While disappointing with Fiji left out I guess with the commercial realities I can understand the reason for the decision and certainly still back the World League concept as step forward even if of course would prefer it based on top 12 based on rankings with promotion/relegation. But latter was my heart speaking as in my head I knew commercial realities would make latter unlikely.

For me hopefully GRR can help provide a path to develop Fiji, Samoa and Tonga rugby. And WR (World Rugby) certainly been very supportive of GRR concept.

But yes WR (World Rugby) need to make sure sides like Fiji who are rising powers still get regular test matches against tier 1 nations given they are top 10 side, as should Georgia. We can't ignore Tier 2 nations but WR (World Rugby) equally shown in past they haven't so I would like to feel they will continue to look after them outside of World League concept.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some of the reports are suggesting that Italy and Scotland were the major players who didn't want promotion/relegation.

USA and Japan clearly offer a better financial opportunity but are definitely weaker than Fiji and probably weaker than Georgia most of the time.

Another point raised was that the World Rugby Vice-President Augustin Pichot is the World Rugby Representative for USA Rugby.

Hopefully the backlash against the current rumours are enough to make them reconsider.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Some of the reports are suggesting that Italy and Scotland were the major players who didn't want promotion/relegation.

USA and Japan clearly offer a better financial opportunity but are definitely weaker than Fiji and probably weaker than Georgia most of the time.

Another point raised was that the World Rugby Vice-President Augustin Pichot is the World Rugby Representative for USA Rugby.

Hopefully the backlash against the current rumours are enough to make them reconsider.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...arrell-criticism-of-world-rugby-global-revamp

Lots of backlash.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ru...-criticism-of-world-league-proposal-1.3809590

And the head of the Pacific Islanders players’ union believes it could prove the death knell for their sides.
Speaking to Stuff.NZ, Aayden Clarke said: “I’ve been in discussions with the three CEOs (of the Pacific islands) and we talked about the impact of this and one of them straight out said that ‘this will be death of Pacific Island Rugby.
“Another discussion indicated that ‘we might as well start playing league’. It’s going to have a huge impact.”

International Rugby Players have outlined six main concerns with the proposed changes to the international rugby calender:
- Player load challenges from multiple top-level test matches in different countries and time-zones in consecutive weeks.
- Increased long-haul travel in short time frames.
- A lack of real opportunities for Tier Two nations to progress.
- Increased conflicts between country and club demands and Regulation 9 release periods.
- Potential impact on Rugby World Cup and Lions tours.
- The long-term quality and integrity of the international game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If the 6 Nations isn't on FTA, that's the medium to long term death of Rugby in the UK and Ireland virtually guaranteed. For the heads of the NH Unions, everything else should be minutiae by comparison.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If I worked at the NRL I would be so excited about this. They are looking for a viable platform to have Test RL mean something. I'd send 10 development guys to each of Tonga, Samoa and Fiji and get them a pathway to the NRL. I'd also have a post season 6 Nations every year with Aust, NZ, PNG, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa so they have a top line comp to be part of.

The people running rugby in Australia have short memories too. Tonga saved rugby here when they toured in the 70's, when no one else would. Also the number of Fijian, Tongan and Samoan players who make up a large number of our top line players can't be overlooked. Maybe they think they'll get more players for the Wallabies who can't play for the county.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
So if this World League idea gets scrapped, what of the Rugby Championship?? Would they still expand to Japan and the USA/Fiji???? Personally i think that'd be a great idea. One of the 6 nations strengths is the interchanging fixtures where one year you might have to travel away to the more difficult teams and another you have an easier fixture list with them playing on your home ground.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So if this World League idea gets scrapped, what of the Rugby Championship?? Would they still expand to Japan and the USA/Fiji???? Personally i think that'd be a great idea. One of the 6 nations strengths is the interchanging fixtures where one year you might have to travel away to the more difficult teams and another you have an easier fixture list with them playing on your home ground.

Well, this is the article pretty much saying it is https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-u...ter-leading-players-intervene-welfare-issues/.

As for the RC. I'm actually in favour of expansion. I'd even involve Japan, the US and Fiji. Play it in a straight 6 game series.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, this is the article pretty much saying it is https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-u...ter-leading-players-intervene-welfare-issues/.

As for the RC. I'm actually in favour of expansion. I'd even involve Japan, the US and Fiji. Play it in a straight 6 game series.
Even whilst acknowledging Fiji's issues, cutting them out would be a load of shit. I'm glad this league idea is being scrapped. All indicators point to it being a botch job.

Expanding where the theoretical money is gave us the abomination that is the Sunwolves.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’d 100% back Fiji be included in the Rugby Championship before the Yanks or Japanese, but wont happen. All the powerbrokers see are the $$$$$ of the Japan and American markets.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just think the best way (and now perhaps the only way) it would work is if it was completely separate from the 6 Nations and RC.

Have the 2 groups of 6 (a European group and a rest of the world group), but each team only plays the 6 teams in the other group. 3 matches in July, 3 in November. Then there could be a final (no semis) - though you wouldn't necessarily need to have one as the top side from each group will have already played each other. The tournament winner could either be the winner of that match or determined by points/record.

With this tournament structure you'd leave the 6 Nations and RC as stand alone tournaments, not as part 1 of the world league, and therefore those tournaments could remain a closed shop, while the world league could have promotion and relegation.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I’d 100% back Fiji be included in the Rugby Championship before the Yanks or Japanese, but wont happen. All the powerbrokers see are the $$$$$ of the Japan and American markets.

The main problem is that almost all of Fiji's test team play for European clubs. If Fiji were to be in the RC those guys would either have to take a significant pay cut, or they'd make themselves unavailable for test selection. It'd only be possible if this were addressed - either by getting more top Fijian players in Super Rugby (and other tournaments that don't clash with the RC) or compensating the players enough for representing Fiji that it was worth the reduction in pay from European clubs.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I just think the best way (and now perhaps the only way) it would work is if it was completely separate from the 6 Nations and RC.

Have the 2 groups of 6 (a European group and a rest of the world group), but each team only plays the 6 teams in the other group. 3 matches in July, 3 in November. Then there could be a final (no semis) - though you wouldn't necessarily need to have one as the top side from each group will have already played each other. The tournament winner could either be the winner of that match or determined by points/record.

With this tournament structure you'd leave the 6 Nations and RC as stand alone tournaments, not as part 1 of the world league, and therefore those tournaments could remain a closed shop, while the world league could have promotion and relegation.

The UEFA Nations league format is the best and WR (World Rugby) should just copy it. It involves multiple division of 4 x 3 groupings. Under this format teams play either each other twice for home and away or their group once in July and a corresponding group in November with the respective winner of these playing in the final and the last ranked team playing the winner of the 2nd division for their survival in the 1st division. This would involve 5 games per team which with the 6N's and say a expanded RC would mean around 12 tests a year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The main problem is that almost all of Fiji's test team play for European clubs. If Fiji were to be in the RC those guys would either have to take a significant pay cut, or they'd make themselves unavailable for test selection. It'd only be possible if this were addressed - either by getting more top Fijian players in Super Rugby (and other tournaments that don't clash with the RC) or compensating the players enough for representing Fiji that it was worth the reduction in pay from European clubs.

Catch-22, most Fijian test players play for European Clubs because there’s no professional playing opportunities in Fiji. A League of Nations would offer the foundations for Fiji to start paying their test players more and keep them from shifting to Europe, or at least steer them towards Super Rugby/NRC.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not as dismissive of the World League concept as some on here. I think it could work, as long as the issues can be worked through.

It could give us a meaningful dance card of non-Bledisloe home tests every year. All of a sudden those July games against Italy and Scotland mean a lot more, as does the October/November NH tour.

Given how stale the Rugby Championship has become, it's something worth looking at. And if it puts more $$$ in the coffers as well, then all the better.

But there are a few barriers in the way. Locking it in for 10 years is ludicrous. I'm less worried about player welfare (they can work through that), but the promotion/relegation hurdle may be too high. The 6N must be preserved as a part of this, and thus you can't have a scenario where Italy is relegated.

So then you have a scenario where Fiji, Georgia etc. are out in the cold. The solution there is probably a 2nd tier comp with regular out-of-competition games against first tier nations. But I'm not sure that's achievable or palatable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

it'd have to be in an agreed test window. Then the clubs have to release the players