• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Complete review post the RWC. Why do you imagine it will be more difficult for teams out side the top 24 to get in than teams outside the top 20 to get in now?

I just think it will become like the 7's series where its a miracle if the old invited finished anywhere but last

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I am actually happy with the variety of playing 11 different teams across a year rather than playing the same teams multiple times.

For example England always seems to avoid playing the All Blacks, something like 3 games in 5 years, that is a joke

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am actually happy with the variety of playing 11 different teams across a year rather than playing the same teams multiple times.

For example England always seems to avoid playing the All Blacks, something like 3 games in 5 years, that is a joke
And in the reverse - we pretty much play them all the time.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it'd be fine if the promotion/relegation was automatic, rather than through a playoff. 2 up 2 down every time would create so much more interest in both the battle to avoid relegation and the battle for promotion in the 2nd tier.

With the playoff there is such a big advantage for the team trying to avoid relegation as they've spent the whole year playing higher quality teams. It'd be like organising an arm wrestling match and only allowing one of the competitors to lift heavy weights in preparation.

TheHaydog

Stan Wickham (3)
The main positive is that the World Cup is finally expanding to 24 teams in 2027. It'd be interesting to see what teams will end up qualifying in those 4 spots. A lot of the qualifying stuff depends on how many spots are allocated to each continent or whether they pursue a larger repechage going forth.

On playing form, there's a reasonable enough argument to give 2 spots each to Europe and the Americas. However, even without the whole qualification scenario being sorted, there are guaranteed a minimum of 4 changes to the composition of the tournament, which in my opinion freshens up the variety of the group stage. Sure, there'll probably be a few big scores here and there, however, it is vastly outweighed by the exposure the lower-ranked qualifiers get, along with any players getting professional contracts, etc.

The "Nations Cup" on the other hand is very unfair as to be expected. The same teams vs the same teams for a trophy every 2 years that can't rival the Webb Ellis anyway. Japan and Fiji will "host" games at neutral venues in order to cut down on traveling is just one of the issues.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
does it come with guaranteed cash? if so I can see why they would take money.
Like I mentioned earlier, it comes with a guaranteed draw and regular matches for these team's that has been seriously lacking in the past. That flows through to revenue inevitably, but the primary motive for teams like Samoa to support this is surely regular test opportunities.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Didn't mention Aus A or AB XV in the Pacific Nations Cup. Does that mean they're excluded or is it just not confirmed if that they are in?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Posting this here because it was deemed too controversial for Rugby Australia's instagram post:

"Dogged the little guys again"

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Posting this here because it was deemed too controversial for Rugby Australia's instagram post:

"Dogged the little guys again"
Except that it hasn't

As has been said in a few posts, it's giving T2 nations a stable platform for growth and improvement. If they were bundled in with T1, at this stage, it would be a bloodbath.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not sure what thread it belong in but the Pacific Nations Cup is back as well

IMG_9259.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Would much rather see a sold out final in Fiji than in front of 1k ppl at either an empty soccer stadium or that club ground they have in Colorado
Absolutely. I know they want to pre plan but having the highest finisher host would be my preference. At least then you get the local audience wanting to attend.

Tonga v Canada isn't going to draw anything in the US if it happened.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Absolutely. I know they want to pre plan but having the highest finisher host would be my preference. At least then you get the local audience wanting to attend.

Tonga v Canada isn't going to draw anything in the US if it happened.

Tonga, Fiji and Samoa are all probably on board with getting a larger guaranteed distribution from the broadcast rights in return for not having a chance to host the final though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What's the current situation with the Fijian Rugby Union? Pre world cup wasn't there some shenanigans going on? They will go where they are told if control is out of their hands.

I like the whole concept. These countries need to be playing consistent Tests. It worried me the Nations Cup becomes a walled garden and other nations wither whilst trying to look over the fence. It's been a positive to see players like Fekitoa, Sopoaga playing for Tonga, Samoa. If they aren't able to play meaningful Rugby do they brush it?