• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas v Wallabies, Rosario, 5th October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Mowen was one of our better players on the weekend though...

Ben Mowen made 4 metres from 2 runs. We need a fair bit more than that from him this weekend against Argentina.

And did Lilo even touch the ball as it hardly looks like it - 2 runs for 6m.

Timani's effort was 3 missed tackles in 8 minutes & then ending up in the bin so he's hardly made a great claim for a starting spot this week.

http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match22226.html

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
wooden-spoon.jpg

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'd like

Robbo (he brought nothing more to scrums and less around paddock but with Slipper at 3 it may stabilise the scrum a bit more - WHAT SCARES ME IS THE REPLACEMENTS ON BOTH SIDES)
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Timani
Mowen (still not up to scratch but better last week)
Hooper (but would prefer Gill)
McCalman
Genia
Cooper
Leali'ifano
Kuridrani
Cummins
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau - but he has played like shit

Kepu, Alexander, Anae ???? Fainga'a, Dennis, White, To'omua, Foley.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was only foolish for you to think that how many metres a forward made running with the ball was the most important aspect of forward play..........

To quote the same site:

Kieran Read 2 runs (6m)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Having said that, the Wallabies too often take the ball from a standing start........

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the Boks make significantly more metres with the ball in hand........

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Somehow Fardy, Hooper and Mowen have individually played pretty well but managed to completely fuck up when it comes to the breakdown management which is one of their main tasks. I have no clue how this is happening, except that what it is that they are doing well must be the wrong things.

To'omua surely must get his turn to shine. Cooper needs the time to work on his speed with a track coach. (I assume the ARU have one on their staff - probably someone who has a demonstrated history of turning sub 10 second athletes into solid 12 second disasters. So then again, maybe not :p )

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One last point, given the speed of the set up under the new laws why didn't the AR tell the Ref that Alexander was binding on the arm before the engage. Every single scrum he bound on the arm and then went down.

That's an excellent point. I understand the ref is meant to in struct the 9 to put the ball in only when he is satisfied the scrum is set properly and is stable. Clearly, if Benny A is binding incorrectly (and I believe he is) then the ref or asst ref should be doing something about it before allowing the ball to be fed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree to an extent but think if the backrow and locks were doing more it would be less an issue. Gill would be a bigger presence at the breakdown to start tests, this is an area we are continually being beaten.

Drop Simmons and Alexander, move Fardy to 4, Mowen 6 and Ben Mc at 8. I still don't see Mowen as a sure thing. Higgers and Palu would take his spot if fit at present.

Replacing Alexander is the harder part. He is just not up to it. Slipper needs to be told he is playing 3 as there is no point having mobile props to cover deficiencies in the backrow and lock while the set piece is getting smashed. Slipper and Kepu as TH, Sio and Robinson as LH.

Liam Gill is an excellent 7, and so is Hooper. Hooper is bigger than Gill, so wouldn't it be likely that Liam would also have the same problems as Hooper at the breakdown? Pocock is the answer at 7 when he is fit and well.

Agree, drop Simmons and Alexander; Fardy to 4 and Mowen to 6. Ben McC was better that I thought he would be and probably deserves his chance at 8 in preference to Dennis atm. Imo Kepu offers no more than Benny A. First scrum he went down in Alexander fashion but the ref allowed play to continue with the Bokke winning their ball. Therefore, Slipper to 3 must happen.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If our players lack the ability to make smart and effective decisions on the field like when is the right time to just hoof it downfield and when is the right time to work the ball to a better position (or where you can have a better set kicker) then we are going to continue dropping down the world rankings.

Our players need be able to follow a more dynamic and complex game plan than just do A or do B.

BH I agree with all you say, but I really do think they were under extremely strict instructions from Link in the first half and played accordingly (simplified game plan). It didn't work, as much to do with the paucity of our chase as to the quality of the kick imo. Why is it that almost every kick by the opposition (whether SA or NZ) is contested by one, two or three chasers but hardly any of our kicks are contested by the Wallabies at all. Come to think of it, hardly any of the opposition's kicks are contested by the Wallabies as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd like

Robbo (he brought nothing more to scrums and less around paddock but with Slipper at 3 it may stabilise the scrum a bit more - WHAT SCARES ME IS THE REPLACEMENTS ON BOTH SIDES)
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Timani
Mowen (still not up to scratch but better last week)
Hooper (but would prefer Gill)
McCalman
Genia
Cooper
Leali'ifano
Kuridrani
Cummins
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau - but he has played like shit

Kepu, Alexander, Anae ???? Fainga'a, Dennis, White, To'omua, Foley.

Leaving Scott Fardy out of the 23 really makes sense.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I wouldn't right us off. Surely a wallabies team with their backs against the wall will be hard to beat. Kuridrani needs to go. Out of the 23. So does Tomane. Bring in a morahan for the bench and play nick cummins and JOC (James O'Connor) if available .AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to outside. With injures or subs cummins can go to 13, Tamooa to 10, 12 or 13, JOC (James O'Connor) to full back or 12 or 10, morahan to wing or full back. Plenty of back solutions to problems that may happen. I'm really looking or ward to spieght in the EOYT but this could be bad news for JOC (James O'Connor). JOC (James O'Connor) might find himself as a bench player if lucky by then. Spieght will answer some problems. Can't weight. Let's hope he has better luck the Kuridrani who has been absolutely abysmal in his first test season.

Genia
Quade
JOC (James O'Connor)
LILO
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Cummins
Izzy

This is by far our Best backline and we have the right guys like Tamooa, white, morahan coming off the bench.

Is cummins available this week? I realise JOC (James O'Connor) won't be and rightly shouldn't be but he is hands down a mile ahead of anyone other then cummins for a wing spot.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
The Wobs are struggling to get decent ball from set pieces. That is nothing unusual in the history of the Wobs but to me what has changed is the way the ball is given away too easily. They always were so good at ball retention and playing away from the oppo's strong areas. They are not playing their natural game, not sure why, I reckon the skills are there. Link needs to leave training this week and take them out on a major piss-up and team bonding exercise.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Wobs are struggling to get decent ball from set pieces. That is nothing unusual in the history of the Wobs but to me what has changed is the way the ball is given away too easily. They always were so good at ball retention and playing away from the oppo's strong areas. They are not playing their natural game, not sure why, I reckon the skills are there. Link needs to leave training this week and take them out on a major piss-up and team bonding exercise.

If we go back to the period between 1960 and 1980, the Wallabies were, with a couple of exceptional years, always playing with 40% or less of possession. This experience taught them to treasure what they had and use it wisely. Funny how it is that the lessons you learn the hard way seem to be the lessons that are the most valuable.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If our players lack the ability to make smart and effective decisions on the field like when is the right time to just hoof it downfield and when is the right time to work the ball to a better position (or where you can have a better set kicker) then we are going to continue dropping down the world rankings.

Our players need be able to follow a more dynamic and complex game plan than just do A or do B.
You're spot on with this observation.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

But beforehand, like 6 hours, have the assistant coaches take the entire media pack out to an earlier major piss-up, so that they can't condemn your proposed piss-up for the team with their holier-than-thou reporting:D

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
BH I agree with all you say, but I really do think they were under extremely strict instructions from Link in the first half and played accordingly (simplified game plan). It didn't work, as much to do with the paucity of our chase as to the quality of the kick imo. Why is it that almost every kick by the opposition (whether SA or NZ) is contested by one, two or three chasers but hardly any of our kicks are contested by the Wallabies at all. Come to think of it, hardly any of the opposition's kicks are contested by the Wallabies as well.
It might be time for Link to simply say, "get out there play as hard as you can, show me what you can do and have fun doing it." There's some good players out there and they're committing some fairly basic errors. They've had a change of coach mid-season and to me they look more than a little confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.