• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas v Wallabies, Rosario, 5th October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
firstly I'm sick and tired of being called biased simply because I see things differently to you mob and secondly not one of you took a second look in the time since I posted so who exactly is taking a predetermined view here?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

D

daz

not one of you took a second look in the time since I posted so who exactly is taking a predetermined view here?

Even though I say it myself, I like to think my posting history shows I am one of the most unbiased people on this forum.

I watched it in replay a thousand times yesterday, Sully. If Simmons really was just standing his ground and FC ran into him, I would have been the first to say it.

But he wasn't. And it was exactly how I described it a few posts ago.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
firstly I'm sick and tired of being called biased simply because I see things differently to you mob and secondly not one of you took a second look in the time since I posted so who exactly is taking a predetermined view here?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

I took a second look. And then a third one. I think you are incorrect.

And don't forget you were the one who brought the b-word into this discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Matt Cockbain. Owen Finegan.

Were any of those guys (and Harrison) actually thugs though? Pests, yes. Thugs, not really. I don't recall anything of them getting rubbed out for eye gouging, knocking blokes out or any other assorted dog acts. They had mongrel, no doubt about it, but I don't think they were filthy.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
My point on bias was simply that many on here have called him lazy and a penalty magnet. I simply wanted this to be viewed without those preconceived ideas influencing the outcome. I agree that he should have been sinbined. I don't agree that he took Conteponi out on purpose.
I think that he saw Bosch shape to pass and took his eye of f the man with the ball and assumed Conteponi would get it. I think he realised at the last second and stopped the tackle which only makes him look worse in the replays. I think he stuffed up but I don't think comparisons to Nonu's dog act shoulder charges are reasonable.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just looked again now. Simmons definitely dropped his shoulder and stepped into Contepomi.

If he 'just stood there' then why was Contepomi hurled backwards and winded, while Simmons remained on his feet unharmed? Contepomi was the one running forward, remember.

And I love the use of the word 'unbiased' there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Can you show me where the stepping in occurred? did you mean coming forward or changing his direction?

D

daz

Sully, we will have to agree to disagree. The ball carrier #13 (and #5 who was acting as immediate support) were running inside Simmons. He had eyes on FC the whole time. He saw FC running wide outside and absolutely lined him up for the shoulder. And you really think it wasn't on purpose?

Did Simmons think FC was looking to link up with the other two? More than likely, yes.

Did Simmons attempt, in any way at all, to use his arms and actually make a legal tackle? Not on your life.

Was FC anywhere near being in position to get the ball at the time Simmons dropped him? No way. 13 passed the ball to 5 a good 15 metres after they passed where Simmons was.

Happy to say it - In my opinion I think it is a perfect comparison to Nonu. Therefore, by your own words, I'll also call it a dog act.

Please don't assume I have any preconceived ideas about Simmons that is colouring my thinking. I don't, and it isn't.

D

daz

Can you show me where the stepping in occurred? did you mean coming forward or changing his direction?

45 seconds in. Side-stepped 3 paces directly into FC's path with shoulder down.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mate he made absolutely no attempt to use his arms, leads with the shoulder, and takes a guy out who isn't even near the ball.

Now, it is nowhere near a Nonu level act, but you're defending the indefensible.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not defending him. I've already said it was a yellow card. I'm trying to have a discussion on whether it was deliberate or accidental and keep getting accused of bias.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
firstly I'm sick and tired of being called biassed simply because I see things differently to you mob and secondly not one of you took a second look in the time since I posted so who exactly is taking a predetermined view here?

OK, boys, don't fight, have a race instead. We're chewing up a bit of goodwill here.

BTW, Sully, I watched a replay later on Sunday morning, with many slo-slo-mos. Simmons' no-arms tackle on Contepomi looked pretty bad.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Simmons: was just mentally lazy, if he was mentally sharp he could have made an attempt to avoid rather than an attempt to brace.

Scrummaging: sublime, the height of the scrum at the second effort was superb. I thought the lack of numbers at the first major breakdown after the 4 or 5 scrums was a good indicator of the effort our boys put in - I think the lactic acid would have been working overtime!!!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
We, the GAGR punters cannot get over our own team biases. Reds supporters will argue for Simmons even in the face of damning evidence regarding the tackle he was binned for. From my biased viewpoint, I think Rob Simmons should have played his last Wallabies' game, but not due to that tackle, but for his general lack of influence around the park. My unbiased viewpoint however is that he should be replaced by Pyle, Neville or Jones until Higgers (all Rebels you will note) is back.

Then @Pfitzy shows his Tahs bias (imo) by suggesting Kepu start at THP. I watched him closely in this match and in my biased opinion he was nowhere near test standard in the open and offered no more in the scrum than Benny A. Again, from an unbiased point, I would prefer Slipper at TH with Benn R at LH.

I think, other than the weaker links covered above, the team is starting to go in the right direction, and the younger, and/or less experienced (like Foley, Kuridrani, Tomane, To'omua, White, Lealiifano, Sio, Fardy, F'Sautia and Folau) players are starting to adapt to test football and will form the backbone of the Wallabies in years to come. Did you notice my biases coming through?

Can't wait to see Godwin play tests and hope he makes the EOYT.

Reactions: gel

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The big problem here is that we had Simmons, Kepu and Horwill defending against outside backs and were beaten for speed/agility. This happens far too often (not these 3 in particular, but generally). It's going to happen every now and then, but with the Wallabies at the moment it's too regular - and this is where most line breaks are being made against us.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
We, the GAGR punters cannot get over our own team biases.
Well, all I can say is thank fuck we now have a Victorian coach who played for the brumbies and waratahs as well as coached the tahs and reds.

Hopefully he holidayed in Perth a lot, and maybe, just maybe he truly will be the messiah that finally bands us together.

(Or maybe he is just a very naughty boy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom