• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies, 25th July 2015, Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
All three of the Amigos seem to share the same defects.

They'd be written off as transient mistakes if they weren't celebrities, and especially sports celebrities, who are held to higher moral standards than their critics would ever contemplate for themselves.

If the Internet was restricted to people who'd never done any of the things the Amigos are pilloried for, there'd only be self-righteous journalists, tumbleweeds and liars left.

I've been in Burger King at 2am. There, I admit it.

Ever bumped into a no parking sign on the way in or out too.:)

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I love your comment "The guy steering around Australia's best performing Super Rugby team, or the bloke who has been running one of the poorest?". Quade Cooper has played less than 15 games the past 2 seasons. Are we blaming him for the Reds losses when he doesn't play too? You do realise being in a better team doesn't instantly make players 1-15 the best player in their position right?

If that's what you think, then why do you keep going back to how Quade generally wins when he plays with the Wallabies as a defence? Surely you ought to be discounting that outright because of the quality of the players around him as an argument.

We really are going in circles here TWAS, so I think it's best we just leave this now because you're clearly taking comments about Cooper personally and I clearly think he deserves most of the criticism he's copped.
So let's just focus on the next test. Deal?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Has anyone seen footage to determine whether Hooper threw a punch, a slap or just a hard push?
All I can see is Sanchez try to hold Hooper back, Hooper throw an arm out and Sanchez look like he copped one from Mike Tyson (but then jump up unhurt). Not saying Hooper didn't throw a punch (most players I played with in the 70's would have under those circumstances), just that any footage I've seen doesn't show that.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Has anyone seen footage to determine whether Hooper threw a punch, a slap or just a hard push?
All I can see is Sanchez try to hold Hooper back, Hooper throw an arm out and Sanchez look like he copped one from Mike Tyson (but then jump up unhurt). Not saying Hooper didn't throw a punch (most players I played with in the 70's would have under those circumstances), just that any footage I've seen doesn't show that.
It's not public, but according to Fairfax they've seen angles that show Hooper swing around and "push" Sanchez in the back of the neck, after which he rolls around on the ground and grabs his face like he's just had a bucket of acid thrown at him.

Massive dive if that's the case and hopefully the judiciary hit him harder than Hooper for both the professional foul and the dive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Stills aren't always the best way to tell but these are the best I've seen.

Lends some weight to the "shove to the back" defence which Hooper is apparently going with

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If it turns out to be proven not to be a punch then he has to be acquitted because a shove wasn't something that was covered under that law. It would need to be a strike of some description. If it's determined that he was trying to free himself from sanchez's illegality then he should get off. But we are talking about sanzar.

And how habana hasn't been cited under the same law is a blatant and unfair inconsistency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
They're better than the grainy "Vine" video doing the rounds, but not much. I reckon it's probably a pretty robust shove, but he'll get a week or two off. Just my gut feeling.
Hope not... Sanchez was being very cynical pulling Hooper back in a try scoring situation (his support wasn't needed in the end, but still). If it's shown to just be a push, then Sanchez ought to cop the punishment and not Hooper for two counts of extremely cynical play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Weekes got a red card for reacting to a shove. I'd suggest that is not a great defence as it is something SANZAR have been tough on all year. Prob 1 week but they suspended Speight for an extra couple of games in order to have him sit out more time. Who knows what will happen?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're better than the grainy "Vine" video doing the rounds, but not much. I reckon it's probably a pretty robust shove, but he'll get a week or two off. Just my gut feeling.

Either he punched him and gets 4 weeks or didn't and gets nothing. I can't see it in between.

It's bloody obvious it's a dive though so expect he'll get off. I'd bring up the other diving incidents in the match to show a pattern of diving culture from the Argentina players and their cynical tactics throughout the match.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
You can't defend yourself saying that the counterpart did something as retalliation is also policed out.

Plead guilty with an open hand slap and then hope that sanzar mathmatecicians roll the dice for only 1-2 weeks.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
You can't defend yourself saying that the counterpart did something as retalliation is also policed out.

Plead guilty with an open hand slap and then hope that sanzar mathmatecicians roll the dice for only 1-2 weeks.

If it's a push it's fine. We see this in every game of Rugby in rucks; a play holds onto another player trying to break free and so held player pushes or attacks the arm to break free. This is in that category; it's not a punch and it's not even really retaliation - it's an attempt to break free from a cynical play impeding a player in a try scoring situation.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
If it's a push it's fine. We see this in every game of Rugby in rucks; a play holds onto another player trying to break free and so held player pushes or attacks the arm to break free. This is in that category; it's not a punch and it's not even really retaliation - it's an attempt to break free from a cynical play impeding a player in a try scoring situation.
Well I am expecting the worse, afterall the push or whatever one wants to call it, is directed in the head area and the world rugby is explicitly trying to get any head-involved accidents out of the game.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Foxniscenti said that it was the essential difference between Supe and test rugby. Game mamagement, they said. They've been drinking from the same Kool-Aid trough as Nick White and Will Genia, methinks.

However, well placed box kicks do have a strategic benefit, as well as causing the rush defence to pause. If every breakdown ball is thrown wide by the 9, the defensive line is automatically on the front foot knowing the attacking team has no other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.