• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
To continue slightly off topic, surely you can admit he is one of the best in the world. I can't remember the last time he was out played by a rival half back at international level.

Genia was decidedly average internationally in 2010 and I don't think he was The best 9 in the world last year. He's played 4 games in 2012 and none of them against a team ranked in the Top 5 in the world.

Let's see how he goes in the Rugby Championship.....

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
Genia was decidedly average internationally in 2010 and I don't think he was The best 9 in the world last year. He's played 4 games in 2012 and none of them against a team ranked in the Top 5 in the world.

Let's see how he goes in the Rugby Championship...

I will pay some of that criticism however you offer no alternative to Genia as the bet number 9. If you asked any coach to line up and say pick your world 15, when came to picking the scrum half they would mostly like it would be Will Genia. Maybe your criteria is pedantic and precise but I would have Genia as 9 any day as there are a lack of alternatives.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Let's see how he goes in the Rugby Championship...

Just a comment on the Top 5 thing. Wales were no. 5 in the world at the start of the series with Australia, rose to no. 4 briefly and only dropped to no. 6 after the series ended and France climbed above them by beating Argentina.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I will pay some of that criticism however you offer no alternative to Genia as the bet number 9. If you asked any coach to line up and say pick your world 15, when came to picking the scrum half they would mostly like it would be Will Genia. Maybe your criteria is pedantic and precise but I would have Genia as 9 any day as there are a lack of alternatives.

I'd have Weepu before Genia. A lot of folks thought Yachville was the best half-back at the RWC. Ben Youngs was pretty good too as was Kahn Fotuali'i. And who knows....by the end of the Championship, Aaron Smith mite go past him as well. Again, in my opinion, Genia has by no means proven he is the best 9 in the world.

Honestly, apart from his Super Rugby form (which has been pretty outstanding for the last 2-3 years) he has yet to really make the same impact consistently for the Wallabies. Surely the RWC would have been the ideal place to do this and put some substance behind that claim.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Firsty, well done to the Sharks on their win. Having to travel all the way over from RSA and not arriving til Monday night then fronting up like they wanted to win is an immense effort.

Kaplan didn't have his best game but that happens and it takes a great team to rise above that and move on with the game. Maybe Horwill's captaincy was lacking there when the questions about cards should have been asked earlier? The yellow at the end seemed an excuse to rack up his quota for the season.

The TMO incident should be a reason for the SANZAR people to look into how the question from the referee should be asked. The 'tell me why I can't ward a try' and 'try, yes/no?' isn't clear enough and this isn't the first game this year when a BS TMO decision has changed the game. (Chiefs/Hurricanes last week comes to mind)

The replacement of Lucas that saw Genia at 10 was baffling to say the least. Frisby probably can do the job but in a game of such importance I don't know why it wasn't 9) Genia, 10) Harris, 12) A Finger or even Tapuai off the bench? Genia at 10 didn't work in Durban so I don't know how it would magically work now.

But well done to the Reds to getting where they did considering they were down to their 5th fly half at one stage this season and losing their captain for a chunk of it too.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'd have Weepu before Genia. A lot of folks thought Yachville was the best half-back at the RWC. Ben Youngs was pretty good too as was Kahn Fotuali'i. And who knows..by the end of the Championship, Aaron Smith mite go past him as well. Again, in my opinion, Genia has by no means proven he is the best 9 in the world.

Honestly, apart from his Super Rugby form (which has been pretty outstanding for the last 2-3 years) he has yet to really make the same impact consistently for the Wallabies. Surely the RWC would have been the ideal place to do this and put some substance behind that claim.

359316-jay-laga-039-aia.jpg

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Very poor start from the reds with multiple handling errors, we made the sharks defense look good when it wasn't (early) and then their defense really did get good (late).

Good season for the reds considering the injury issues (missing two of the big three for this game even). Glad they fought to the end. They will come back better next year.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Put him in the ABs and you'd be claiming him as the best ever. Fact.

Yeah.....but he would probably play better :)

Go back and look at the posts and threads where we discussed the best players a the RWC and see how Genia wasn't universally regarded as the best. Lucky to be in the Top 3 sometimes. So if he wasn't the best by the end of the intrnational season last year, to call him the best now is based on what exactly?!

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah...but he would probably play better :)

The All Black forwards make Weepu look better than he really is. He's given all the time in the world back there with quick ball and quality options all around him. Genia has been able to turn games around himself behind forwards going backwards. Genia is also a better package, when was the last time Weepu had a running game?

Weepus got a good rugby brain, passing ability but he's only played with quality ball. It's another story when you're dealing with shit up in front of you!

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
In regards to the halfbacks, most of it comes down to the forward pack. Australia were pretty weak in the WC and thus so was Genia. Behind the AB's he would be unstoppable. I don't think you could argue there are any better all round 9's than Genia right now (although his kicking is poor at times). Aaron Smith behind a dominant pack is going to be special, Kerr Barlow and TJP all have the raw talent to be at the top.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
A well deserved win by the sharks. Reds should have converted their mountain of possession in the second half into points and couldn't. The reds just didn't appear to have zip to do so. I'm a bit gutted at the moment, but realize the reds did well in the back half of the season.

We really need to work way harder in the off season on our s&c. Whilst the tahs are busy playing for Australia, the reds need to change ourselves into the build of the sharks and stormers in the forwards.

It's the only way to beat them. We have the skill, we need the strength.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is Annoying is the whining when reds were never in the game. Also a little perspective, the disallowed Gill try would not be an issue if Genia is penalised at earlier scrum. Whilst Simons should have Benin yellow carded for constantly interfering with defence on wrong side of rucks. I think the guy believes he plays for opposing teams by the amount of time he spends on the wrong side!!!!

Take the patch off people, well and truly beaten despite being gifted a home game

Well done on selectively quoting me. Maybe you could have read the other posts where I congratulated the Sharks and said they were the better team.

A word of warning: if you are just here to troll, you will not be here long, especially with that user name. You might want to contribute a little more next time.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Weepu has been one the biggest disappointments this season. Not even best halfback in NZ.

Hougaard would be up there pushing Genia and was good in the tests.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
In regards to the halfbacks, most of it comes down to the forward pack. Australia were pretty weak in the WC and thus so was Genia. Behind the AB's he would be unstoppable. I don't think you could argue there are any better all round 9's than Genia right now (although his kicking is poor at times). Aaron Smith behind a dominant pack is going to be special, Kerr Barlow and TJP all have the raw talent to be at the top.

My last word on this cos it's not really on topic.

Kahn Fotuali'i wasn't behind a dominant pack like the ABs but he was still considered by some to have played better than Genia at the RWC.

Weepu may not be the best halfback in NZ based on Super Rugby......but being the best in the world should be based on what you've done in Tests.

I'm not saying Genia isn't one of the top halfbacks in the world but 'world's best' is OTT when based on actual international form. Again, if he wasn't the best at the end of the last international season then he has suddenly become the best after playing against Scotland once and Wales 3 times. Really?!

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Dear Link,

I know that with the benefit of hindsight, all this looks obvious but can I humbly suggest if we have another week like this one:

1) appeal Cooper's suspension, it wasn't warranted.

2) Harris can play 5/8 better than Genia - who crabs more than any player I've ever seen.

3) Frisby doesn't look like he's playing the same sport.

4) Genia, Harris, Tapuai, Fainga'a

5) Where did turnstiles Morahan hide all season?

6) can we play in leg braces next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.