• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Club Rugby 2010 (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
I thought it may be time to start to look ahead at QLD club rugby for 2010.

There has been a few changes of coaching staff and player movements and of course the usual rumours.
So far,
Brothers assistant coach Rob Murdoch has gone to Wests as head coach. Id say he has a challenge in front of him to turn the Bulldogs around.

T

TOCC

the state comp is also likely to be scrapped in 2010, they cant find a sponsor for it and a lot of clubs hated how there were upwards of 5 byes in the season

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank's Roy Saunders has stepped aside from the Prems head coach role to take over their Colts program. Rob "Tiny" Nowlan the Australian Schoolboy coach will take over as Prems head coach for 2010.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
TOCC said:
the state comp is also likely to be scrapped in 2010, they cant find a sponsor for it and a lot of clubs hated how there were upwards of 5 byes in the season

Think the byes in the main season were a result of having Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast in the comp who don't have lower grade teams and having Redlands and Logan in the comp who don't have Premier teams.

So when a club with all teams played Logan or Redlands, the Premier team from that club got a bye - that's four byes per year. Similarly when a club with all teams played Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, the Premier and Premier Colts played but the rest of the grades had a bye.

In pre-season there were byes during the state cup but I think most clubs played trial games in those byes.

Agree that not many Brisbane clubs were keen on the state cup and wanted it called off.

I spoke to some of the officials & supporters from Rockhampton last year who stayed in Brisbane after their game against Brothers - they were convinced the Brisbane clubs would use some of the poor results by country teams to pressure QRU to drop the state cup as a waste of resources. Then the country teams put in a few good performances and looked competitive.

Norths have also announced that Chris Roche is staying on as head coach and Lew Price from Reserve Grade last year as his assistant.

http://qru.com.au/library/news/2009/091022_norths_announce_coaching_staff,70218.html/section/62400

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Re: QLD Club Rugby 2010 (part 2)

Lion said:
If so and if Darcy is amarist old booy this could see Nature own Gentleman Steve Phillpotts moved on. Dont be suprised if Marist favourite son Anthony the Bull Mathesion head pop's up on the coaching staff.

There was a lot of people at GPS unhappy last year at the way Mick Heenan was shown the door - imagine there'll be lots more if the popular Philpotts is also ushered out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Philpots has done a great job with a no name pack.

So Darc want back in the fold? Well he was our last premiership winning coach!

T

TOCC

Scotty11 said:
TOCC said:

Think the byes in the main season were a result of having Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast in the comp who don't have lower grade teams and having Redlands and Logan in the comp who don't have Premier teams.

So when a club with all teams played Logan or Redlands, the Premier team from that club got a bye - that's four byes per year. Similarly when a club with all teams played Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, the Premier and Premier Colts played but the rest of the grades had a bye.

In pre-season there were byes during the state cup but I think most clubs played trial games in those byes.

Agree that not many Brisbane clubs were keen on the state cup and wanted it called off.

I spoke to some of the officials & supporters from Rockhampton last year who stayed in Brisbane after their game against Brothers - they were convinced the Brisbane clubs would use some of the poor results by country teams to pressure QRU to drop the state cup as a waste of resources. Then the country teams put in a few good performances and looked competitive.

Norths have also announced that Chris Roche is staying on as head coach and Lew Price from Reserve Grade last year as his assistant.

http://qru.com.au/library/news/2009/091022_norths_announce_coaching_staff,70218.html/section/62400
well thats part of the reason the had so many byes, the way around that is that you have Gold Coast step in as the Logan Premiership side and Sunshine Coast step in as the Redlands premiership side. Ive seen it happen quite often in the Darling Downs competition. It is a pain when teams play against these sides the premiership side plays in a different location to the rest of the sides, but hey thats life.

C

chief

The norths Premier Colts coach may be finally able to rectify some action, I hear quality things about him. I believe he was an ex SAS solider. Surely will add some 'beef'

Status
Not open for further replies.