• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Club Rugby in Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc

The majority of clubs have been in trouble at one stage or another over the last few years. In most cases, certainly not all, it comes down to the club be run by unqualified people. The biggest problem is a dependance on handouts and funding, rather than going out and getting some or at the very least trying to generate something outside the aru and qru funding and the same few sponsors who throw a few bucks in each year. Sure there was a large amount of luck and timing in a club like Sunnybank getting its revenue sources, but at least they did something. There are clubs still trying to get pokies now and continually getting denied, then there are the really hopeless ones like the filth who got rid of their pokies.

The rich ones get richer, the poor get poorer.

T

TOCC

i know a few clubs are reluctant to go down the pokies path because it means they would lose state govt funding, which may be ok if you look at someone like Sunnybank, but then again you only have to look at the pokie tax in NSW which is eroding there club grants to realise its not a assured source of revenue.

Clubs will always struggle, some of it is slightly exagerated, i mean a club might be 'deemed' as struggling but then they still supply player kits worth $250, I used to be involved with a club which gave out quite a large players kit, they would give a jersey, shorts, socks, training shirt, bag, dress shirt and tie. At the end of the season they were always struggling financially, until some genius suggested we cut down the players kit(painfully obvious i know), so now players only get shorts, socks, and training shirt. Means lower registration fees and the club is better off financially as well.

Some clubs just need to take the hit to there pride and make sacrafices like these.

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)
The club who has their allocation already lives in the jungle and has stripes. A couple of clubs have been given their instalments but not all. This could be bigger than Qld club rugby - maybe the QRU is struggling more than we know.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes the QRU toffs may have to cut back on their entertainment budget (snouts in trough) at Suncorp. They'd say its all to keep the sponsors happy but I won't have a bar of it.
I remember when the QRU had to cut back a couple of years ago they decided to cut back their allocation to the Referees Association - well done!

C

chief

Refabit said:
Yes the QRU toffs may have to cut back on their entertainment budget (snouts in trough) at Suncorp. They'd say its all to keep the sponsors happy but I won't have a bar of it.
I remember when the QRU had to cut back a couple of years ago they decided to cut back their allocation to the Referees Association - well done!

Yes well to save a lot of $$$$$ next year, I think a move to Ballymore for some games will certainly be on the cards depending on the Blues Reds match at Ballymore.

And some people wonder why there aren't many up and coming elite refs in Brisbane hey.

T

TOCC

things arent always what they seem
Queensland Premiers Brothers will play their NSW counterparts Sydney University for the Australian Club Championship on Saturday March 13th, when the two sides meet at Crosby Park, Albion at 3.30pm.

Brothers defeated Souths 26-19 in a hard fought 2009 Brisbane Grand Final while Sydney Uni secured their fifth successive Sydney title in rolling Randwick 24-19. For Brothers, it was their first success in the top grade since 1987.

The two clubs share a strong tradition in this fixture with Brothers winning three times and Sydney Uni twice.

Brothers President and former Wallaby and Queensland captain Tony Shaw said Brothers was planning a full day of celebrations to mark the occasion.

“We hope that rugby fans and the local community get right behind the day and come along to support Brothers and help us keep the trophy here in Queensland.”

Brisbane's Easts won the trophy in the 2009 playoff in Sydney, beating University 38-31.

Shaw said there will be plenty on offer at Crosby Park for fans to enjoy, including lunch beforehand, a BBQ and refreshments on “the hill’ during the game and a post match celebration with live entertainment in The Crossbar, Brothers recently re-opened beer garden.

http://qru.com.au/library/news/2010/100218_aust_club_championship_match,70941.html

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
unsub god said:
The club who has their allocation already lives in the jungle and has stripes. A couple of clubs have been given their instalments but not all. This could be bigger than Qld club rugby - maybe the QRU is struggling more than we know.

I have heard that this striped club from the jungle has actually been bailed out directly from the ARU for an amount substantially larger than the annual grant.

Clubs right around the country that still remain "amateur" are struggling, because in my opinion the national and the state unions have not given enough business type education to the volunteers who run the clubs on how to effectively run, manage and grow a club into a business. Let's be honest, they have to become businesses in this day and age, and if they do not embrace that notion, the gaps will continue to grow. There simply is no "grassroots" growth policy that is anything more than window dressing.

And rugby clubs are not alone, have a look through any club website that post their annual reoprts and you will see most are simply surviving.

R

rugbywhisperer

TOCC said:
things arent always what they seem
Queensland Premiers Brothers will play their NSW counterparts Sydney University for the Australian Club Championship on Saturday March 13th, when the two sides meet at Crosby Park, Albion at 3.30pm.

Brothers defeated Souths 26-19 in a hard fought 2009 Brisbane Grand Final while Sydney Uni secured their fifth successive Sydney title in rolling Randwick 24-19. For Brothers, it was their first success in the top grade since 1987.
The two clubs share a strong tradition in this fixture with Brothers winning three times and Sydney Uni twice.
Brothers President and former Wallaby and Queensland captain Tony Shaw said Brothers was planning a full day of celebrations to mark the occasion.
“We hope that rugby fans and the local community get right behind the day and come along to support Brothers and help us keep the trophy here in Queensland.”
Brisbane's Easts won the trophy in the 2009 playoff in Sydney, beating University 38-31.
Shaw said there will be plenty on offer at Crosby Park for fans to enjoy, including lunch beforehand, a BBQ and refreshments on “the hill’ during the game and a post match celebration with live entertainment in The Crossbar, Brothers recently re-opened beer garden.
http://qru.com.au/library/news/2010/100218_aust_club_championship_match,70941.html

What's the point???
Brothers will field a pretty well near strength team against Uni who will play their 3rd XV.
Brothers will probably win, Brothers and Qld rugby will crow on for a year about how it is better and stronger than NSW club rugby and more sheep are walking around naked because of all the wool that has been pulled over people's eyes.
Until both clubs foeld their best team - immediately after the respective Grand Finals the result will be a farce and Qld will try and make the most of it.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
rugbywhisperer said:
What's the point???
Brothers will field a pretty well near strength team against Uni who will play their 3rd XV.
Brothers will probably win, Brothers and Qld rugby will crow on for a year about how it is better and stronger than NSW club rugby and more sheep are walking around naked because of all the wool that has been pulled over people's eyes.
Until both clubs foeld their best team - immediately after the respective Grand Finals the result will be a farce and Qld will try and make the most of it.

It is true, rw, that Sydney Uni will not be able to field a side nearly as strong as their Grand Final team given that 30 odd players have franchise - contract or Academy - or Aussie Sevens commitments. But I suppose the same applies to some extent to Brothers.

Rest assured that Sydney Uni will field the best side available and take the match very seriously. I for one will be very surprised if "the result will be a farce".

Last year Easts travelled to Sydney and beat Uni on their merits, no excuses, but in the two previous seasons Uni defeated the Brisbane premiers, Wests and Sunnybank, IIRR.

I think that it would be great if the fixture could be played immediately after the respective Grand Finals as you suggest, but one difficulty would be that neither team would know in advance that they had that additional commitment.

T

TOCC

a match like this cant just be started overnight and be a success, it will take a few years and kinks will need to be ironed out before its truly succesfull, however i believe it does have potential.

C

chief

Would love to see that kind of ABC TV match with what they used to do. Just pick a match of the round, but understandably could be hard. Or even just having one round moved to Ballymore each week and televised. But that won't be happening for a while.

T

TOCC

chief said:
Would love to see that kind of ABC TV match with what they used to do. Just pick a match of the round, but understandably could be hard. Or even just having one round moved to Ballymore each week and televised. But that won't be happening for a while.

pretty sure the QRU actually had to pay for that, similarly to how the NSWRU pays to have there comp broadcast...
QRU arent exactly swimming in money at the moment so maybe its a sacrafice we will have to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.