• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
COACHING ANNOUNCEMENT
We (Norths Rugby Club) are excited to announce the appointment of Tom Donnell to the role of Head Coach of Colts for the 2023 season.
Tom is a former Norths Colts player who has served his Coaching apprenticeship under the stewardship of Dan Ritchie – our former Head Coach of Colts for the past two seasons acting as Defence, Skills and Transition Coach for our strong and ever improving Colts program.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looking at school leavers from Reds U18 and what clubs they're going too based on whispers. This is what I have. Feel free to add ones I've missed;

Marcarius Pereria- Nudgee (Repeating Year 12 but training with Norths)
Caleb Laifoo- TSS (???)
Rory Beech- Nudgee (TSS)
Will Rogers- Nudgee (Norths)
Trevor King- Downlands (Souths)
Hugh Smith- St. Laurences (???)
Ben Daniels- Churchie (Brothers)
Alex Kerr- Churchie (???)
Tobias McPherson- BBC (???)
Cooper Cameron- Nudgee (???)
Charlie Brosnan- Churchie (Brothers)
Charlie Macauley- BGS (???)
Luke Aiken- Sunshine Coast Grammar- (???)
Finn Prass- Sunshine Coast Grammar (Brothers)
Ryan Shaw- BGS (Wests)
Dre Pakeho- Churchie (Brothers)
Bud Smith- TGS (???)
Xavier Rubens- BBC (???)
Toshi Butlin- BSHS (Wests)
Connor Simpson- Churchie (???)
Joe Wikaria- Sunshine Coast Grammar (Brothers)
Kadin Pritchard- St. Peter's (Brothers)
Blake Raymond- TSS (???)

Fair to say Brothers are going to be stacked next year in Colts.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking at school leavers from Reds U18 and what clubs they're going too based on whispers. This is what I have. Feel free to add ones I've missed;

Caleb Laifoo- TSS (???)
Rory Beech- Nudgee (TSS)
Ryan Shaw- BGS (Wests)
Bud Smith- TGS (???)
Xavier Rubens- BBC (???)
Blake Raymond- TSS (???)

The thing is though They wont all play Colts 1. They are competing with 2nd and 3rd year colts for spots, unless you are from Nudgee as the current colts 1 head coach primarily only picks Nudgee boys….

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Connor Simpson is with Brothers as well I believe. Yes being a NC boys certainly helps with the current coach. It will be interesting as Brothers won Colts 4, 3 and 2 so there will be competition for positions and some boys may be disappointed with the team the start in :eek:

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Talk out of Crosby is that there are a number of 2nd & 3rd year colts that are pissed off with not getting a fair go. They realize that the Colts 1 head coach favors Nudgee players at the expense of others who deserve to play higher. A number of them have played rep footy at U18/19 level but still can’t nail down a spot in Prem Colts. Word is that the forwards coach for Prem colts this year and a number of lower grade colts coaches won‘t be coaching in 2023 as they can‘t work with the head coach of prem colts.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Talk out of Crosby is that there are a number of 2nd & 3rd year colts that are pissed off with not getting a fair go. They realize that the Colts 1 head coach favors Nudgee players at the expense of others who deserve to play higher. A number of them have played rep footy at U18/19 level but still can’t nail down a spot in Prem Colts. Word is that the forwards coach for Prem colts this year and a number of lower grade colts coaches won‘t be coaching in 2023 as they can‘t work with the head coach of prem colts.

what do they expect though going to the most successful colts program in Queensland

This should be a good development for the comp if if these colts 2 boys end up playing Prem colts at a different club… we need to remove the gps schoolboys to club colts tribalism

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
what do they expect though going to the most successful colts program in Queensland

This should be a good development for the comp if if these colts 2 boys end up playing Prem colts at a different club… we need to remove the gps schoolboys to club colts tribalism
Agreed on this.
Might sound controversial but I think personally the QRU should limit clubs to a maximum number of teams/players for colts. This would make people have to be daring and move to other clubs.
I get this undermines the hard work some clubs do with recruiting and helps those who are lazy with recruitment but would certainly help the colts 1 and 2 competition in my opinion.
Unsure how you’d logistically implement this but just an idea

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How about a proper qpr colts academy at the Queensland reds… each qpr club would be able to nominate a forward and a back that’s part of the qpr colts academy…

I don’t know if that would help “distribute” the colts 2 talent more evenly but it would be a incentive for young players looking for greener grass… I’m unsure how it would be implemented cause nepotism could totally come into play with a scheme like that.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)

It’s only successful if colts 1 win the premiership. The filth have been knocked out the last two years . The current head coach has been involved the last two years. With the current coach they won’t win a premiership whilst he keeps favouring NC boys.
He thinks that the way forward is picking only first xv players. Clubs should be looking at 2nd & 3rd players they are the ones that will be the better players in the long term

Last edited:

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)

Agree. Similar bias towards Churchie graduates at Easts...

DRFC

Frank Nicholson (4)

Caleb Laifoo- TSS (???)
Rory Beech- Nudgee (TSS)
Ryan Shaw- BGS (Wests)
Bud Smith- TGS (???)
Xavier Rubens- BBC (???)
Blake Raymond- TSS (???)

Jack Hocking-IGS/Souths ( Edinburgh Rugby/ Scotland U20s )

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)

Caleb Laifoo- TSS (???)
Rory Beech- Nudgee (TSS)
Ryan Shaw- BGS (Wests)
Bud Smith- TGS (???)
Xavier Rubens- BBC (???)
Blake Raymond- TSS (???)

They have been stacked the last two years ‍♂️

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
GPS appear to have tapped into the old Marist connection again. Hearing that 6 or 7 from last year have been rolling up to Yoku Road for pre season.