• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Lots of boys chose to neglect junior gold this year to focus on school rugby with added workloads. Epecially the u16 age group who are all looking to beef up for a possible jump to opens rugby.

Junior Gold program is extremely good for u15's and you should look for some GPS players in that competition.
18 either play GPS or AIC by my count. Only 3 of the 8 Gold Coast reps go to TSS.

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
Well said HTC(happy to chat), these boys deserve every chance to compete for both, not having the best side due to decision making could jeopardise medal contentions at the youth commonwealth games in Samoa. Surely the GPS could identify and manage these programmes to suit. These young men have trained to get this far, then told to make a decision! Not fair I say!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like Hewat and Mosely from Nudgee have pulled out of the 7's Aus squad.... Nudgee not supportive of them playing due to conflicts with GPS training/games and Aus schoolboys selections. Shame to have to give up such a massive opportunity..... I wonder how many others will have to choose.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looks like Hewat and Mosely from Nudgee have pulled out of the 7's Aus squad.. Nudgee not supportive of them playing due to conflicts with GPS training/games and Aus schoolboys selections. Shame to have to give up such a massive opportunity... I wonder how many others will have to choose.
Heard from friend Dylan Riley from TSS is going, cannot confirm though and not sure about the BBC boys but if they are on Rugby Scholarships it may be difficult to let potentially 3 backline players miss 2 games. I'm sure it would depend on the Coach and or the Director of Rugby.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Heard from friend Dylan Riley from TSS is going, cannot confirm though and not sure about the BBC boys but if they are on Rugby Scholarships it may be difficult to let potentially 3 backline players miss 2 games. I'm sure it would depend on the Coach and or the Director of Rugby.

The BBC boys are all going.
Only miss 1 game as round 9 is a bye for BBC.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looks like Hewat and Mosely from Nudgee have pulled out of the 7's Aus squad.. Nudgee not supportive of them playing due to conflicts with GPS training/games and Aus schoolboys selections. Shame to have to give up such a massive opportunity... I wonder how many others will have to choose.
"A Bird in the Hand is Worth two in the Bush".

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Ah, on the wrong page then.

If that's so, have you got any idea why that might be?

I'm genuinely confused though why players like Unga Wolske, Harry Hoopert, Reuben Wall, Sean Farrell, Martin Koorts or Hamish Stewart played JGC but didn't get selected to the Queensland team - I thought Harry Hoopert especially wasn't too far off an Australian Schoolboys spot this year.
I'd put my house on this being the lowest GPS representation in a QLD schoolboy rep team ever.

To the mods: this particular selection whinge is here and not the JGC thread because we're discussing how QLD GPS players aren't getting the rep love we're all accustomed to. I don't want to hijack the JGC by talking about the GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you King."I'd put my house on this being the lowest GPS representation in a QLD schoolboy rep team eveR?"

But I be interested to hear your thoughts on how many of these "Qld under 17 team" make the Qld Schoolboys team to play the Nationals in July. Surely
that team will be composed of many 18 year olds.I would go as far as to say some of these "under 17 " boys may not make their schools 1st xv.
Not saying the team is weak-just my view that many of the very top players did not try out-especially boarders from NC,TSS & BBC & ACGS.

Natal shark

Peter Burge (5)
I agree with you King."I'd put my house on this being the lowest GPS representation in a QLD schoolboy rep team eveR?"

But I be interested to hear your thoughts on how many of these "Qld under 17 team" make the Qld Schoolboys team to play the Nationals in July. Surely
that team will be composed of many 18 year olds.I would go as far as to say some of these "under 17 " boys may not make their schools 1st xv.
Not saying the team is weak-just my view that many of the very top players did not try out-especially boarders from NC,TSS & BBC & ACGS.
I believe players who have played in the Qld open national side are not asked to go to JG due to fact to give up and coming boys a crack at showing there skills and then getting a chance in Qld trials and hopefully progress from there and they are having exposure to top rugby

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I believe players who have played in the Qld open national side are not asked to go to JG due to fact to give up and coming boys a crack at showing there skills and then getting a chance in Qld trials and hopefully progress from there and they are having exposure to top rugby

That would explain it then.. Good idea not to invite the stars.

I rate Joel Kuchel quite highly. As I mentioned previously I think Harry Hoopert will be knocking on the door for Australian schoolboys.

Naming a team this year would be a huge stretch for me. I'm well and truly out of date now. Once the season's team sheets are out I'll have a crack.

From that JGC U17 team I had pegged Sean Farrell, Harry Hoopert and Joel Kuchel as TOTY candidates for 2014.

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
"A Bird in the Hand is Worth two in the Bush".

I'm not sure this is a fair comment.... if the school does not support the boys attending what are they supposed to do? Give up school rugby to be able to attend the training camps to see if they might make the final team?

One might reverse the quote by saying maybe the boys should be be content with what they have (GPS School Rugby) than to risk losing everything by seeking to get more i.e. Commonwealth Games selection....

Believe me, I'm sure these boys would love to have it all (i.e my sources tell me Mosely had to give up his contract with the Brisbane Lions AFL and Queensland under 18 AFL this year as well), but the reality is that it is almost impossible, and you if don't have the support of your school, this actually makes it impossible.....

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
That would explain it then.. Good idea not to invite the stars.

I rate Joel Kuchel quite highly. As I mentioned previously I think Harry Hoopert will be knocking on the door for Australian schoolboys.

Naming a team this year would be a huge stretch for me. I'm well and truly out of date now. Once the season's team sheets are out I'll have a crack.

From that JGC U17 team I had pegged Sean Farrell, Harry Hoopert and Joel Kuchel as TOTY candidates for 2014.

Here's an idea; How about the Qld Schools limit the number of times you can trial for these state teams. Might stop the "2 year, year 12 students" from clogging up the system. Doing Year 11 and 12 over three years, just to make rep teams or to win premierships, does diminish the honour of selection or the win!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm not sure this is a fair comment.. if the school does not support the boys attending what are they supposed to do? Give up school rugby to be able to attend the training camps to see if they might make the final team?

One might reverse the quote by saying maybe the boys should be be content with what they have (GPS School Rugby) than to risk losing everything by seeking to get more i.e. Commonwealth Games selection..

Believe me, I'm sure these boys would love to have it all (i.e my sources tell me Mosely had to give up his contract with the Brisbane Lions AFL and Queensland under 18 AFL this year as well), but the reality is that it is almost impossible, and you if don't have the support of your school, this actually makes it impossible...
Granted probably a little harsh looking at it that way but for the boys that don't know whether they will make it into the Aus Schoolboys team and are not on a scholarship you'd have to grab the opportunity of representing your country at the Commonwealth games that only comes around every 4 years and hey who knows you may even make both. I do feel for the NC boys, as I watched them both play in the 7's Nationals and they did stand a real chance of making the top 12.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Umm, We are talking about the Youth Commonwealth Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common...ipedia.org/wiki/2015_Commonwealth_Youth_Games) which is a very small scale version of the "proper" Commonwealth Games. Wikipedia says that there will only be 8 sports competed for at Apia (athletics, tennis, lawn bowls, rugby 7's, boxing, swimming, squash and weightlifting).
In Rugby 7's, the Boys competition at the 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games will feature nine teams – Australia, England, Fiji, Kenya, Samoa, South Africa, Singapore, and the Cayman Islands, with Australia, Samoa, Canada, Fiji, Papua New Guinea and the Cook Islands competing for the chocolates in the Girls competition.

Without trying to diminish the achievement of being selected for ones country in Rugby 7's, I reckon that most young folk would choose a tilt at Aust Schoolboys over the Youth Commonwealth Games Rugby 7's in Apia, different story entirely if it was the "proper" Commonwealth Games Rugby 7's, but then they do tend to chose from contracted players already on the circuit over good schoolboys for that event.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok it's a bit early for a 100% accurate form guide on the season to come, but it's been a while since I've been on the thread and I have done some nosing around the various schools.
So here's how I think the competition is shaping up for 2015, starting with what many consider to be the top 3 teams:

Nudgee College
As we stare down the barrel at the Easter long weekend, the brethren once again look the goods for the upcoming season. Already their rugby coaches have been busier than an Adelaide Archbishop clearing out his desk drawers before a diocese inquiry.
Their first training session for this season started shortly after the uniform shop opened in the last week of the Christmas holidays. They also have about 12 players back from last year. If these guys aren't in the top 2 at the end then I'll run nude around Ross Oval at half time in the last game, with the Popes hat shoved up my arse.

TSS
Once again our mates from the Glitter Strip have implemented a recruitment program that makes ISIS look like a Tuppaware pyramid selling party at my mums house on a Monday morning. They've got more new faces running around in their rugby program than an episode of Australia's Got Talent and on top of that at least 10 of last years team is back again. There are some big boys on board, in particular their number 8 - he is so big he has his own postcode. Top 3 for TSS in an absolute walk.

BBC
What are best 3 years of your school life at BBC? Well if you are in the First XV its year 12. Just like the 2 schools above, these guys have at least 12 or 13 lads back from the First XV squad last year. Whilst their supporters may have learnt their lesson on talking themselves up, if they have a bad tour of Japan on the injury front then the season could be over before a chip is put in the fryer at Miskin Street on the morning of the first game.
That said if they come back from Japan with more than just some Duty Free Saki (half the kids are already 18 so their bags will be full), but also some real combinations and confidence then watch out. Top 3 for BBC.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ok it's a bit early for a 100% accurate form guide on the season to come, but it's been a while since I've been on the thread and I have done some nosing around the various schools.
So here's how I think the competition is shaping up for 2015, starting with what many consider to be the top 3 teams:

Nudgee College

As we stare down the barrel at the Easter long weekend, the brethren once again look the goods for the upcoming season. Already their rugby coaches have been busier than an Adelaide Archbishop clearing out his desk drawers before a diocese inquiry.
Their first training session for this season started shortly after the uniform shop opened in the last week of the Christmas holidays. They also have about 12 players back from last year. If these guys aren't in the top 2 at the end then I'll run nude around Ross Oval at half time in the last game, with the Popes hat shoved up my arse.

TSS
Once again our mates from the Glitter Strip have implemented a recruitment program that makes ISIS look like a Tuppaware pyramid selling party at my mums house on a Monday morning. They've got more new faces running around in their rugby program than an episode of Australia's Got Talent and on top of that at least 10 of last years team is back again. There are some big boys on board, in particular their number 8 - he is so big he has his own postcode. Top 3 for TSS in an absolute walk.

BBC
What are best 3 years of your school life at BBC? Well if you are in the First XV its year 12. Just like the 2 schools above, these guys have at least 12 or 13 lads back from the First XV squad last year. Whilst their supporters may have learnt their lesson on talking themselves up, if they have a bad tour of Japan on the injury front then the season could be over before a chip is put in the fryer at Miskin Street on the morning of the first game.
That said if they come back from Japan with more than just some Duty Free Saki (half the kids are already 18 so their bags will be full), but also some real combinations and confidence then watch out. Top 3 for BBC.

hi Warren
very funny - but also very accuarate .
agree with all of the above .particularly all the new boys at TSS and the massive number 8. who is the new 15 at TSS they all raving about ? league boy from where else- northern NSW.
actually it is more than half that are 18 at BBC

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ <troll warning> All the good ones in Qld GPS seem to come from NSW </troll warning>:) Don't bother responding.

The Sydney School Clipboards don't seem to like traveling too far past the Clarence River.

Good to see you back @Warrenwobble.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)

Nudgee College

TSS

BBC

WW
i tend to agree with you.Does your nude run apply if Hewat and Pritchard are injured and out for the season?
Nephew in grade 9 at TSS agrees with you- there are a lot of "newboys" either repeating grade 10 or in grade 11 doing senior 2 years. expect TSS to be very strong next year as well.
speaking of new boys - the NC 13As got spanked by BBC ( 48 zip)and IGS last year
dont expext that to happen in 14A this year with 9 or 10 new boys in that age group.NC sure know how to plug holes in their program .

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think there would be quite a few who would put winning a premiership with their mates ahead of this comp as well.

B&G

With a new headmaster & "Mr Recruitment" Tom Barket on board -I have heard from a number of people that the GT will be stepping up the search for "new boys" wit talent..
Is that what you are hearing?

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
B&G

With a new headmaster & "Mr Recruitment" Tom Barket on board -I have heard from a number of people that the GT will be stepping up the search for "new boys" wit talent..
Is that what you are hearing?

Will be ineresting to see how Nudgee go in the future with a new principal whose mandate is improving the quality of learning and teaching, and not letting activities outside the classroom affect the quality of classroom learning.... i.e. sport is not his priority and he makes this known at every opportunity, especially to the boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.