• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Dont get me wrong they have a great coaching system and a great team its just a lot of young players. Im sure they will be great in years to come
You sure you know what you are talking about? most of GT will be Yr 12, also could you please put some substance behind your comments rather than just a one liner it will help to put some of your comments into context.
I mean your comments about IGS and then Nudgee and now GT, they kind of dont make sense

Dash Pure Rugby

Frank Row (1)
To all the GPS Schools who deliberately repeat boys for an extra year of rugby, well done. Whilst you walk around chests out patting yourselves on the back you may want to look back for when the exact moment was that you lost sight of the true values associated with rugby. Commonly known as ' The Spirit of the Game'.
You may well try to justify this as getting maximum return on investment. Your only investment here is the individuals education, the rugby is a bonus. Stop teaching these young men that it's ok to lower your moral standards to win a game. Don't go giving them a false sense of status as they run around as ' King of the Kids'. I suppose all I'm really trying to say is let these young men grow up in the real world and be subject to natural selection like the majority around them. Leave your ego at the door, have a good look at yourself and grow up.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
To all the GPS Schools who deliberately repeat boys for an extra year of rugby, well done. Whilst you walk around chests out patting yourselves on the back you may want to look back for when the exact moment was that you lost sight of the true values associated with rugby. Commonly known as ' The Spirit of the Game'.
You may well try to justify this as getting maximum return on investment. Your only investment here is the individuals education, the rugby is a bonus. Stop teaching these young men that it's ok to lower your moral standards to win a game. Don't go giving them a false sense of status as they run around as ' King of the Kids'. I suppose all I'm really trying to say is let these young men grow up in the real world and be subject to natural selection like the majority around them. Leave your ego at the door, have a good look at yourself and grow up.

Most likely this has nothing to do with the school and is more aligned to the player trying to get a shot at Australian schoolboys. At least in my experience this is the case.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Most likely this has nothing to do with the school and is more aligned to the player trying to get a shot at Australian schoolboys. At least in my experience this is the case.

If it were the individual aspirations of the boys dictating the decision to repeat it would be less of a concern. I'm still not sure I would ever advise a boy to repeat simply to have another shot at Aussie Schools. If the boy would benefit from another year at school to boost grades or see him that little bit more mature when he graduates, that is a different story. It could be argued that a schoolboy who dominated the GPS, or any other competition, might actually benefit from playing in a club colts competition for the sake of character development if nothing else.

It is an unfortunate reality though that some schools do encourage and sometimes demand that boys repeat year 11 so that they are 18 in their final year of school. Again, there might be cases where this might be in the best interests of the student. Maturity and academic courses/subject offerings may come into it but this is not always the case.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Careful not to get nose bleeds from upon your high horses people

The reality of school sports today is that there are significantly more demands placed on kids playing sport at a high level , and yeah , it is a load to manage performance across academics and sporting endeavours

Anything that can be done to manage load properly to a level that is appropriate for each individual's circumstances - so they can optimise performance , academically and physically , then well and good

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)

I was going to reply and then thought:it is not worth it. Anyone who says "Schools who deliberately repeat boys" has no idea . And is probably an AIC supporter. Not long now chump(5 more year) and everyone will finish school at 18-like every other state in Australia.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
[quote="Jack Hardy, post: 843307, member: 22300"

It is an unfortunate reality though that some schools do encourage and sometimes demand that boys repeat year 11 so that they are 18 in their final year of school. te]

What a load of crap.What power does a school have to "demand" someone repeat.
You need to stop watching soapies.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Basically the same place isn't it??
Not if youre A Samoan or Tongan its not. Only the naive or uneducated or a R#$ist would would say something like that.
I wish these "schoolboys" would stay off this site, you know who you are, and its actually easy to tell....this is not facebook or twitter its here for general and real rugby discussion - not flippant one off remarks

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
I was going to reply and then thought:it is not worth it. Anyone who says "Schools who deliberately repeat boys" has no idea . And is probably an AIC supporter. Not long now chump(5 more year) and everyone will finish school at 18-like every other state in Australia.

When they are all 18 it will be a level playing field.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
[quote="Jack Hardy, post: 843307, member: 22300"

It is an unfortunate reality though that some schools do encourage and sometimes demand that boys repeat year 11 so that they are 18 in their final year of school. te]

What a load of crap.What power does a school have to "demand" someone repeat.
You need to stop watching soapies.

This is turning into a subject for another thread but there are many reasons why a school might have 'bargaining power' over a boy and his family to 'encourage them' to enter in year 10 even though they have already done Year 10.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)

Not everyon. The majority will still be 17 when they finish year 12. Only those with birthdays July - Nov will finish aged 18, The rest will be still 17.

I KNOW WHO WILL WIN

Frank Row (1)
Not if youre A Samoan or Tongan its not. Only the naive or uneducated or a R#$ist would would say something like that.
I wish these "schoolboys" would stay off this site, you know who you are, and its actually easy to tell..this is not facebook or twitter its here for general and real rugby discussion - not flippant one off remarks

Finally someone has said it. Thank you

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
This is turning into a subject for another thread but there are many reasons why a school might have 'bargaining power' over a boy and his family to 'encourage them' to enter in year 10 even though they have already done Year 10.

well then dont use the word "demand".

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
NC U16A's half back appears to have gone walk about and has gone from the reservation. Will be calling GT home from Monday.

Big loss for Nudgee.

Agreed, a big loss for Nudgee. He was a very strong contender for a spot in Nudgee Firsts this year, with injuries and form in the older age group clearing the path. Over the years I thought he was at the top end of half backs in his age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.