• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
You are forgetting one key player and he is Borger (unsure of first name)

I am not forgetting him - very nice footballer - not new, played last year when they couldn't win a game and not in their best two players at U15.

This year they are without Shepherd and Gilbert - huge holes literally and figuratively - cant see them winning more than 1 honestly.

Darvo

Peter Burge (5)
I am not forgetting him - very nice footballer - not new, played last year when they couldn't win a game and not in their best two players at U15.

This year they are without Shepherd and Gilbert - huge holes literally and figuratively - cant see them winning more than 1 honestly.

Was he the number 6??? Quite an imposing player in my eyes

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
1) BSHS won 2 nds on weekend as well. Look out -they now have depth;
2) does trial form mean anything:
-last year ACGS lost all 5 trials;
-This year TSS put 7 tries on TGS in the trial.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
And when I think of great broken field kill you from anywhere type teams over the last few years I am thinking Nudgee , TSS and BBC over Terrace

Never said Terrace were the best in broken field play over the years. Just making the point they seemed to have the talent indicated by their abilities in attack during unstructured play. But when it came to structured play by Terrace those abilities seemed to have been curtailed because of the predictability which was magnified by the conditions on Saturday.

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
Great to see another year of Schoolboy Rugby kick off last week and I share the excitement with all the other "tragics", that the season is finally underway. New to the forum and love an opinion as much as the next bloke so I'll give it a crack. TSS is my local (and the mums in the canteen are usually pretty hot), so I went over to watch TSS v TGS game. Close game that could have gone either way and TSS looked goners in the first half. Certainly not the sharp back line play I saw at the trials last term. IMO, biggest problem was not adapting to the wet conditions. Should have kept it more in the forwards on a day like that - they have a huge (and experienced) forward pack with most of the lads having played First XV last year, so for mine, I reckon they could have just smashed it up all day, save the big passes for a dry track. I've seen it before with TSS though, they can get a bit fancy and not use the forwards enough in attack. Perfect weather for rolling mauls all day!!
Hard to miss the big No5 out there (Blyth). He's just massive. Heard from my sons mates that he played last year with a broken bone in his foot and I saw him on the sidelines during the trials, so an injury might explain why he did not trial for GPS teams. Disagree with Stellar15's comments that he couldn't manage the lineoutsj as: 1. It didn't appear that he was calling the lineouts and 2. TSS kept sending it to the back jumper (No.4), who was jumping against Matt Willshire (Australian schoolboy). A case of not clever calls I would say, but I saw some shockers from TGS also, with throws going all the way over everyones head and bouncing at the back, completely missed everyone. Lot of responsibility on the call, the thrower, the lifters for timing, and then finally, the jumpers hands. Lineouts are just one technical part of the game that involves many parts working together to be successful.

TGS went the short kick off most times and again Matt Willshire was very strong on the regather, stole plenty of ball that left TSS a bit shell shocked. Really great skills on show. TSS scrum was much stronger and have a big forward pack that should have dominated in attack and didn't.
But Hey - all just IMO!

Dry weather is the forecast for next weekend so looking forward to some great rugby on a dry pitch. Good luck all teams.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Never finished my preview on time, but figured it was better in here late than taking up space on my desktop.

State High

Last year, State High defeated both first-placed Churchie and second-placed Nudgee, delivering a premiership to the former by stunning Nudgee at Carina.

With seven returning starters from that First XV, State High have the potential to finally pull clear of the mid-table and return to GPS Rugby’s podium.

According to head coach Sione Fukofuka, State High is ready to take the next step.

“We’ve been hoping to continue what we’ve tried the last three years - to play open, expansive rugby,” Fukofuka said. “We’ve come a long way to re-establishing the identity State High has always been renowned for, in terms of physicality.”

“We’ve got a pretty good balance of skilful, strong ball running forwards and then some speed and footwork out wide.

“Our preparations have been pretty good, but the National Championships threw a bit of a spanner in the works. Having as many players involved in that as we did was an excellent reward for those players individually, but it’s obviously had an effect on our trial form.”

With an Australian Schoolboy at prop and three more Queensland reps in the pack, a Queensland representative centre and two Australian Schoolboys in the back three, State High will field their strongest First XV since the glory days of 2009-2011.

Fukofuka reserved special praise for Moses Alo-Emile, the younger brother of former Melbourne Rebels prop Paul, who featured for Queensland at the National Championships at just 16-years of age scrummaging against hardened players often two years older.

Winger Jordan Petaia was unheralded heading in to the National Championships with Combined States, but won an Australian Barbarians jersey on merit.

However, the star of this First XV is without doubt electric fullback Murray Taulagi.

The younger brother of former Queensland Reds winger Jamie-Jerry Taulagi, Murray is cut from the same hot-stepping cloth.

With a special ability to beat the man one-on-one, Taulagi will provide the x-factor that might help push this team over the edge.

However, depth has plagued the school in recent years and that has not changed - an inability to stay healthy might prove a decisive nail in the coffin in a competition as tight as this year’s.

“I think most people looking in at State High will have an understanding that we’ve got a good 16-17 players who I think are First XV players,” Fukofuka said.

“This year we can probably stretch to 21-22, but like most schools outside of the Big Three, if we lose someone out of that top 15-16 then the players coming in will do their best but they aren’t at the same level,” Fukofuka admitted.

In round one, State High clash with Gregory Terrace in the school colosseum in an Old Boys Day celebration.

It’s perhaps fitting that in a season that contains the most hope for half a decade, State High will open their campaign on the field that brought so much success in the past.

Ladder prediction: 2nd

1.Lloyd Gorman
2.Nesta Mahina
3.Moses Alo-Emile
4.Victor Tualima
5.Kurt Kruwinnus
6.Rudi Levi
7.Bryce Luff
8.Patrick Tafa
9.Neal McNamara
10.Isaac Crone
11.Jared Chambers
12.Quentin Mahina
13.Antonio Pouhila
14.Jordan Petaia

15.Murray Taulagi

Gregory Terrace

Gregory Terrace have forged a reputation as a well-structured, well-disciplined team in recent years.

In 2015’s competition, Terrace had Churchie on the ropes in the first round and could well have denied the Anglicans their premiership.

Similarly to State High, Terrace have a number of key returning players boosted a generous helping of exciting new talent.

Among them the returners is Australian Schoolboys flyhalf Isaac Lucas, the youngest of Terrace Rugby’s Lucas clan made up of Ben (Montpellier), Matt (Waratahs) and Tom (Australian Rugby Sevens).

Lucas is a rare talent with a strong pass and pinpoint accurate kicking game, truly capable of unlocking star outside backs like fellow Aussie Schoolboy Will Eadie on the wing.

Head coach Ben McCormack was the captain of Terrace’s last GPS Premiership win in 2004 and can see many similarities between the two sides.

“If we can get the rub of the green we’ll put ourselves up there, but you’d a be pretty bold First XV coach to say you’re going to win the competition,” McCormack said.

“I think obviously you’ve got the have the talent and the experience and you’ve got to have a lot of luck as well to win a GPS Premiership.

“In saying that, we have those boys with experience, and there’s a really heightened level of enthusiasm around the place which was a key part of our Premiership year.

“I’ve actually had to stop them from organising extra training sessions because they’re so keen, which is a positive.”

According to McCormack, Terrace have worked hard in the off-season on core skills and decision making.

“Through positions 1-15, every player in my team can draw a man, catch, and pass. I would hope our ability to shift the ball and find space will set us apart from other teams.”

McCormack’s Terrace First XV have a number of mobile units in the forward pack, including the conversion of last year’s 16As inside centre to lock.

While there are a number of returning starters like Queensland tighthead Josh Nasser, centre Bailey Ralston and winger Jordan Rogers, McCormack believes that the new faces in the team will cause a stir in 2016.

Australian Barbarian second rower Harry Wilson, a “no-frills lock/six with a great work ethic” is a capable ball carrier and lineout option who has improved a heap since featuring twice in 2015.

Wilson will combine with Queensland II openside Seamus Tweedy in the back row.

Two Under-16s in the backline, Hoani Ford-Stevens and Byron Ralston, are also poised to make a splash.

Ford-Stevens, a Rugby League/Basketball product who represented Norths Devils in Rugby League’s Cyril Connell Cup is an excellent communicator and offloader who slots in at outside centre.

Fullback Byron Ralston is the younger brother of captain Bailey, a strong tackler and pest at the breakdown with a strong kicking game, all wrapped up in a big frame - while “not yet a readymade superstar,” McCormack believes Ralston Jr will grow into one by season’s end.

Ladder Prediction: Third

1.Oliver Macklin
2.Harry Birgan
3.Josh Nasser
4.James Reiser
5.Ed Painter
6.Harry Wilson
7.Seamus Tweedy
8.Harry Webster
9.Sam Kirk
10.Isaac Lucas
11.Jordan Rogers
12.Bailey Ralston
13.Hoani Ford-Stevens
14.Will Eadie

15.Byron Ralston
Nudgee

St. Joseph’s Nudgee College were competition favourites in 2015 thanks to an Australian Schoolboys ensemble that were truly dominant at the First XV level.

All was going to plan until meeting Churchie on Ross Oval, losing a first match before being knocked out of contention by a freak State High upset.

While winning Nudgee’s 41st Premiership is still a goal for Nudgee in 2016, head coach Gerard Alexander only passingly discussed the possibility when talking with Green and Gold Rugby.

“My ambition for the team would be to make sure spectators can walk away happy with how the First XV has played,” Alexander began. “But broader than that, we’d hope the people who are in the First XV are an example to other people in this school on a daily basis with how they conduct themselves and show character.”

While expressing his unhappiness at the structure of the representative season, Alexander wasn’t phased by the “up and down” trial form of his side.

Narrow wins over BGS, Churchie and Gregory Terrace were tempered by defeats to State High and a thrashing at the hands of Southport.

“It’s been a little up and down but that’s not unusual for Nudgee in this year group, so it’s going to be a tight competition.”

Citing Nudgee’s spirit and determination as the side’s key strengths, Alexander revealed that the traditional Nudgee gameplan had been given a facelift to suit the needs of 2016’s squad.

“We have a different team this year with a different composition of players. This year, it’ll be much more of a team effort and carries will be shared around, instead of leaving it to just four or five players.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to play a very team based game, so there’ll be a little bit of a different style.”

Alexander felt confident that his six returning First XV starters, including flyhalf Augustus Rangihuna (Queensland I) and centre/fullback Semisi Tupou (Queensland II) would step up for the regular season, while also highlighting halfback Phoenix Hunt and openside Joe Small as young players who would make their mark on the competition.

Among Nudgee’s key players is the younger brother of Melbourne Rebels lock Nick Jeffries,
lock Tom Jeffries, who starred for Combined States at the recent National Championships.

Ladder Prediction: 4th

1.Lachlan Campbell
2.Joseph Cotton
3.Blake Schoupp
4.Thomas Jeffries
5.Josh Dalle Cort
6.Ethan Bullemor
7.Brodie Woodward
8.Joseph Small
9.Phoenix Hunt
10.Augustus Rangihuna
11.Joshua Preval
12.TJ Meni
13.Semisi Tupou
14.Ryan Shepherd
15.Willie Malala

BGS

Since winning the GPS Premiership in 2012, Brisbane Grammar School have won just two matches - State High in 2013, and Ipswich Grammar in 2015.

The departure of long time coaching tandem Damon Emtage and Julian Gardner has opened up an opportunity for ex-Munster icon Paul Warwick to breathe new life into the First XV.

For Warwick, a Nudgee College Old Boy, the mission to turn around the First XV will be an uphill battle.

“I’ve been very careful not to set results based goals, obviously because there are some really strong schools and this year in particular is a very open competition.

“If the boys give it their all, week in and week out, they’ll be able to compete with the bigger schools and that would make me completely happy,” Warwick said.

To bring BGS back into the light, Warwick plans on bringing back elements of the gameplan that carried Grammar to the top in 2012.

“Obviously we’re not blessed with a lot of size like some other teams are, so we have to play the game in a different way and a big part of my role is to find a style of footy that suits the kids in our squad.

“Our gameplay will be based around defence, putting pressure on the opposition and attacking with our defence. Our greatest strength is our commitment and intelligence, so hopefully the boys will be able put their bodies on the line and identify then nullify our oppositions advantages in size or speed by the way we play.

With depth a luxury unavailable at Brisbane Grammar, Warwick makes no secret that Grammar’s position as a leading academic school has left him behind the eight ball in the GPS Rugby arms race.

The ace up his sleeve is Australian Schoolboys openside flanker Fraser McReight, who will line up at 8 for Grammar’s Round 1 Clash with Nudgee College.

“We’ve very proud of Fraser, who’ll be a key for us and because most games are won in the forward pack, it’ll be great to see whether we can match it with other schools because of him.

“He’s a strong ball-carrier and defender, but the pleasing thing that I’ve found is that he’s been a real leader, dragging guys along with him.”

“Our team needs to be a workman type of team, because we don’t have many stars or individual standouts - what we do have is a strong team identity that helps everyone execute their roles to help the team.

Though McReight is clearly the team’s greatest hope at competitiveness, Grammar have a few up and comers in the ranks.

Queensland U15s tighthead prop Emile Tuimavave is a new recruit to the school in 2016, bringing much needed size into the forward pack.

Another face Grammar fans will be excited to see in the ranks of the First XV is Queensland U16 State of Origin Second Rower Tom Gilbert at centre, also a member of the Queensland U15s.

Ladder Prediction: Ninth

1.Harry Masselos
2.Max Eizelle
3.Emile Tuimavave
4.Hugh Arthur
5.Joe Baboolal
6.Ollie Shepherd
7.Harry Devereux
8.Fraser McReight
9.Nick Whip
10.Paddy Hogan
11.Will Ramsey
12.John Shaw
13.Tom Gilbert
14.Josh Baker
15.Andy Traves

M

Mike Hunt 16B's

With BBC entering the GPS with a slightly easy challenge against BGS could anyone highlight the players to watch in the firsts and 16's curious on what that school is doing with any new players.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
With BBC entering the GPS with a slightly easy challenge against BGS could anyone highlight the players to watch in the firsts and 16's curious on what that school is doing with any new players.

My understanding from my mate who has a son at BBC is that they have:
-a whole new coaching set up (including former Wallabies S&C);
-6 or 7 back from side that finished 3rd in 2015;
-plus the new 5 from Melbourne Rebels;and
-The cousin of Aussie schoolboy sensation - Jadyn Ngamanu -at 15.

But what have they been doing in the trials? Have they played anyone other than Downlands?.

As for 16 A - BBC beat Downlands 61 nil and also beat Churchie in trials. No new players -but 3 or 4 were in 1st xv squad and 2 with the Broncos. Will be solid but again with new coaches.

Whisperer

Frank Nicholson (4)
Never finished my preview on time, but figured it was better in here late than taking up space on my desktop.

State High

Last year, State High defeated both first-placed Churchie and second-placed Nudgee, delivering a premiership to the former by stunning Nudgee at Carina.

With seven returning starters from that First XV, State High have the potential to finally pull clear of the mid-table and return to GPS Rugby’s podium.

According to head coach Sione Fukofuka, State High is ready to take the next step.

“We’ve been hoping to continue what we’ve tried the last three years - to play open, expansive rugby,” Fukofuka said. “We’ve come a long way to re-establishing the identity State High has always been renowned for, in terms of physicality.”

“We’ve got a pretty good balance of skilful, strong ball running forwards and then some speed and footwork out wide.

“Our preparations have been pretty good, but the National Championships threw a bit of a spanner in the works. Having as many players involved in that as we did was an excellent reward for those players individually, but it’s obviously had an effect on our trial form.”

With an Australian Schoolboy at prop and three more Queensland reps in the pack, a Queensland representative centre and two Australian Schoolboys in the back three, State High will field their strongest First XV since the glory days of 2009-2011.

Fukofuka reserved special praise for Moses Alo-Emile, the younger brother of former Melbourne Rebels prop Paul, who featured for Queensland at the National Championships at just 16-years of age scrummaging against hardened players often two years older.

Winger Jordan Petaia was unheralded heading in to the National Championships with Combined States, but won an Australian Barbarians jersey on merit.

However, the star of this First XV is without doubt electric fullback Murray Taulagi.

The younger brother of former Queensland Reds winger Jamie-Jerry Taulagi, Murray is cut from the same hot-stepping cloth.

With a special ability to beat the man one-on-one, Taulagi will provide the x-factor that might help push this team over the edge.

However, depth has plagued the school in recent years and that has not changed - an inability to stay healthy might prove a decisive nail in the coffin in a competition as tight as this year’s.

“I think most people looking in at State High will have an understanding that we’ve got a good 16-17 players who I think are First XV players,” Fukofuka said.

“This year we can probably stretch to 21-22, but like most schools outside of the Big Three, if we lose someone out of that top 15-16 then the players coming in will do their best but they aren’t at the same level,” Fukofuka admitted.

In round one, State High clash with Gregory Terrace in the school colosseum in an Old Boys Day celebration.

It’s perhaps fitting that in a season that contains the most hope for half a decade, State High will open their campaign on the field that brought so much success in the past.

1.Lloyd Gorman
2.Nesta Mahina
3.Moses Alo-Emile
4.Victor Tualima
5.Kurt Kruwinnus
6.Rudi Levi
7.Bryce Luff
8.Patrick Tafa
9.Neal McNamara
10.Isaac Crone
11.Jared Chambers
12.Quentin Mahina
13.Antonio Pouhila
14.Jordan Petaia

15.Murray Taulagi

Gregory Terrace

Gregory Terrace have forged a reputation as a well-structured, well-disciplined team in recent years.

In 2015’s competition, Terrace had Churchie on the ropes in the first round and could well have denied the Anglicans their premiership.

Similarly to State High, Terrace have a number of key returning players boosted a generous helping of exciting new talent.

Among them the returners is Australian Schoolboys flyhalf Isaac Lucas, the youngest of Terrace Rugby’s Lucas clan made up of Ben (Montpellier), Matt (Waratahs) and Tom (Australian Rugby Sevens).

Lucas is a rare talent with a strong pass and pinpoint accurate kicking game, truly capable of unlocking star outside backs like fellow Aussie Schoolboy Will Eadie on the wing.

Head coach Ben McCormack was the captain of Terrace’s last GPS Premiership win in 2004 and can see many similarities between the two sides.

“If we can get the rub of the green we’ll put ourselves up there, but you’d a be pretty bold First XV coach to say you’re going to win the competition,” McCormack said.

“I think obviously you’ve got the have the talent and the experience and you’ve got to have a lot of luck as well to win a GPS Premiership.

“In saying that, we have those boys with experience, and there’s a really heightened level of enthusiasm around the place which was a key part of our Premiership year.

“I’ve actually had to stop them from organising extra training sessions because they’re so keen, which is a positive.”

According to McCormack, Terrace have worked hard in the off-season on core skills and decision making.

“Through positions 1-15, every player in my team can draw a man, catch, and pass. I would hope our ability to shift the ball and find space will set us apart from other teams.”

McCormack’s Terrace First XV have a number of mobile units in the forward pack, including the conversion of last year’s 16As inside centre to lock.

While there are a number of returning starters like Queensland tighthead Josh Nasser, centre Bailey Ralston and winger Jordan Rogers, McCormack believes that the new faces in the team will cause a stir in 2016.

Australian Barbarian second rower Harry Wilson, a “no-frills lock/six with a great work ethic” is a capable ball carrier and lineout option who has improved a heap since featuring twice in 2015.

Two Under-16s in the backline, Hoani Ford-Stevens and Byron Ralston, are also poised to make a splash.

Ford-Stevens, a Rugby League/Basketball product who represented Norths Devils in Rugby League’s Cyril Connell Cup is an excellent communicator and offloader who slots in at outside centre.

Fullback Byron Ralston is the younger brother of captain Bailey, a strong tackler and pest at the breakdown with a strong kicking game, all wrapped up in a big frame - while “not yet a readymade superstar,” McCormack believes Ralston Jr will grow into one by season’s end.

1.Oliver Macklin
2.Harry Birgan
3.Josh Nasser
4.James Reiser
5.Ed Painter
6.Harry Wilson
7.Seamus Tweedy
8.Harry Webster
9.Sam Kirk
10.Isaac Lucas
11.Jordan Rogers
12.Bailey Ralston
13.Hoani Ford-Stevens
14.Will Eadie

15.Byron Ralston
Nudgee

St. Joseph’s Nudgee College were competition favourites in 2015 thanks to an Australian Schoolboys ensemble that were truly dominant at the First XV level.

All was going to plan until meeting Churchie on Ross Oval, losing a first match before being knocked out of contention by a freak State High upset.

While winning Nudgee’s 41st Premiership is still a goal for Nudgee in 2016, head coach Gerard Alexander only passingly discussed the possibility when talking with Green and Gold Rugby.

“My ambition for the team would be to make sure spectators can walk away happy with how the First XV has played,” Alexander began. “But broader than that, we’d hope the people who are in the First XV are an example to other people in this school on a daily basis with how they conduct themselves and show character.”

While expressing his unhappiness at the structure of the representative season, Alexander wasn’t phased by the “up and down” trial form of his side.

Narrow wins over BGS, Churchie and Gregory Terrace were tempered by defeats to State High and a thrashing at the hands of Southport.

“It’s been a little up and down but that’s not unusual for Nudgee in this year group, so it’s going to be a tight competition.”

Citing Nudgee’s spirit and determination as the side’s key strengths, Alexander revealed that the traditional Nudgee gameplan had been given a facelift to suit the needs of 2016’s squad.

“We have a different team this year with a different composition of players. This year, it’ll be much more of a team effort and carries will be shared around, instead of leaving it to just four or five players.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to play a very team based game, so there’ll be a little bit of a different style.”

Alexander felt confident that his six returning First XV starters, including flyhalf Augustus Rangihuna (Queensland I) and centre/fullback Semisi Tupou (Queensland II) would step up for the regular season, while also highlighting halfback Phoenix Hunt and openside Joe Small as young players who would make their mark on the competition.

Among Nudgee’s key players is the younger brother of Melbourne Rebels lock Nick Jeffries,
lock Tom Jeffries, who starred for Combined States at the recent National Championships.

1.Lachlan Campbell
2.Joseph Cotton
3.Blake Schoupp
4.Thomas Jeffries
5.Josh Dalle Cort
6.Ethan Bullemor
7.Brodie Woodward
8.Joseph Small
9.Phoenix Hunt
10.Augustus Rangihuna
11.Joshua Preval
12.TJ Meni
13.Semisi Tupou
14.Ryan Shepherd
15.Willie Malala

BGS

Since winning the GPS Premiership in 2012, Brisbane Grammar School have won just two matches - State High in 2013, and Ipswich Grammar in 2015.

The departure of long time coaching tandem Damon Emtage and Julian Gardner has opened up an opportunity for ex-Munster icon Paul Warwick to breathe new life into the First XV.

For Warwick, a Nudgee College Old Boy, the mission to turn around the First XV will be an uphill battle.

“I’ve been very careful not to set results based goals, obviously because there are some really strong schools and this year in particular is a very open competition.

“If the boys give it their all, week in and week out, they’ll be able to compete with the bigger schools and that would make me completely happy,” Warwick said.

To bring BGS back into the light, Warwick plans on bringing back elements of the gameplan that carried Grammar to the top in 2012.

“Obviously we’re not blessed with a lot of size like some other teams are, so we have to play the game in a different way and a big part of my role is to find a style of footy that suits the kids in our squad.

“Our gameplay will be based around defence, putting pressure on the opposition and attacking with our defence. Our greatest strength is our commitment and intelligence, so hopefully the boys will be able put their bodies on the line and identify then nullify our oppositions advantages in size or speed by the way we play.

With depth a luxury unavailable at Brisbane Grammar, Warwick makes no secret that Grammar’s position as a leading academic school has left him behind the eight ball in the GPS Rugby arms race.

The ace up his sleeve is Australian Schoolboys openside flanker Fraser McReight, who will line up at 8 for Grammar’s Round 1 Clash with Nudgee College.

“We’ve very proud of Fraser, who’ll be a key for us and because most games are won in the forward pack, it’ll be great to see whether we can match it with other schools because of him.

“He’s a strong ball-carrier and defender, but the pleasing thing that I’ve found is that he’s been a real leader, dragging guys along with him.”

“Our team needs to be a workman type of team, because we don’t have many stars or individual standouts - what we do have is a strong team identity that helps everyone execute their roles to help the team.

Though McReight is clearly the team’s greatest hope at competitiveness, Grammar have a few up and comers in the ranks.

Queensland U15s tighthead prop Emile Tuimavave is a new recruit to the school in 2016, bringing much needed size into the forward pack.

Another face Grammar fans will be excited to see in the ranks of the First XV is Queensland U16 State of Origin Second Rower Tom Gilbert at centre, also a member of the Queensland U15s.

1.Harry Masselos
2.Max Eizelle
3.Emile Tuimavave
4.Hugh Arthur
5.Joe Baboolal
6.Ollie Shepherd
7.Harry Devereux
8.Fraser McReight
9.Nick Whip
10.Paddy Hogan
11.Will Ramsey
12.John Shaw
13.Tom Gilbert
14.Josh Baker
15.Andy Traves

Great stuff but where are the rest of the schools?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
TheKing said:
"Never finished my preview"

Hopefully this answers your question o_O

TSS and Churchie also declined requests for interview, IGS were just slack getting back to me.

I've got interviews complete for BBC and TGS, so they're not too far away

I

Ippy 15As

go

State High

1.Lloyd Gorman
2.Nesta Mahina
3.Moses Alo-Emile
4.Victor Tualima
5.Kurt Kruwinnus
6.Rudi Levi
7.Bryce Luff
8.Patrick Tafa
9.Neal McNamara
10.Isaac Crone
11.Jared Chambers
12.Quentin Mahina
13.Antonio Pouhila
14.Jordan Petaia

15.Murray Taulagi

Gregory Terrace

1.Oliver Macklin
2.Harry Birgan
3.Josh Nasser
4.James Reiser
5.Ed Painter
6.Harry Wilson
7.Seamus Tweedy
8.Harry Webster
9.Sam Kirk
10.Isaac Lucas
11.Jordan Rogers
12.Bailey Ralston
13.Hoani Ford-Stevens
14.Will Eadie

15.Byron Ralston
Nudgee

1.Lachlan Campbell
2.Joseph Cotton
3.Blake Schoupp
4.Thomas Jeffries
5.Josh Dalle Cort
6.Ethan Bullemor
7.Brodie Woodward
8.Joseph Small
9.Phoenix Hunt
10.Augustus Rangihuna
11.Joshua Preval
12.TJ Meni
13.Semisi Tupou
14.Ryan Shepherd
15.Willie Malala

BGS

1.Harry Masselos
2.Max Eizelle
3.Emile Tuimavave
4.Hugh Arthur
5.Joe Baboolal
6.Ollie Shepherd
7.Harry Devereux
8.Fraser McReight
9.Nick Whip
10.Paddy Hogan
11.Will Ramsey
12.John Shaw
13.Tom Gilbert
14.Josh Baker
15.Andy Traves
good stuff

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
if we lose someone out of that top 15-16 then the players coming in will do their best but they aren’t at the same level,” Fukofuka admitted.

I thought the comment from BSHS head coach was a bit rough and not at all positive.
I hope it’s not what he tells those players, who faithfully sit on his bench week in and week out waiting for the opportunity to get out there and play 1st XV. "Hey do your best but you're not as good as those boys"

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I thought the comment from BSHS head coach was a bit rough and not at all positive.
I hope it’s not what he tells those players, who faithfully sit on his bench week in and week out waiting for the opportunity to get out there and play 1st XV. "Hey do your best but you're not as good as those boys"

I think the full quote tells a little different story, Stripes...

He says he's got 16-17 player who are solid First XV players. He thinks the team can still win games with 5 or 6 starters who aren't up to First XV level, but if he loses more than six starters it will be tough to bring home a Premiership.

That's certainly how I interpreted the comment. Let's not forget State High struggle to field below a B team in most age groups. Apparently the 16s can't field a C team in 2016.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think the full quote tells a little different story, Stripes.

He says he's got 16-17 player who are solid First XV players. He thinks the team can still win games with 5 or 6 starters who aren't up to First XV level, but if he loses more than six starters it will be tough to bring home a Premiership.

That's certainly how I interpreted the comment. Let's not forget State High struggle to field below a B team in most age groups. Apparently the 16s can't field a C team in 2016.

BSHS only had 2 under 16 teams last year and by end of season IGS had 1!
But every school seems to have E teams in football .

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)

Not sure about this comment ...

U13 down to C's
U14 down to C's

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Fact: State High just beat Terrace.

Why would their coach admit to being beaten by a better coached team?

Fact: I don't know any First XV coach in the GPS who has a single thing to do with the 15Cs and 15Ds to make them stick on with rugby. Not sure how it's the First XV coach's fault that the 15Cs don't feel like continuing on to be the 16Cs.

Fact: Nudgee in my experience have gone down to Gs. I know Terrace has also gone down to Fs before. BGS in my era had an Es. I can't even comment on Southport.

"Just" going down to a C team means that State High have little depth, relative to the competition.

Fact: the interview question was "does State High have any weaknesses this year/ challenges you've had to overcome". The coach replied with his answer, which I think is perfectly reasonable. Depth is not spectacular at State High, which shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Fact: State High just beat Terrace.

Why would their coach admit to being beaten by a better coached team?

Fact: I don't know any First XV coach in the GPS who has a single thing to do with the 15Cs and 15Ds to make them stick on with rugby. Not sure how it's the First XV coach's fault that the 15Cs don't feel like continuing on to be the 16Cs.

Fact: Nudgee in my experience have gone down to Gs. I know Terrace has also gone down to Fs before. BGS in my era had an Es. I can't even comment on Southport.

"Just" going down to a C team means that State High have little depth, relative to the competition.

Fact: the interview question was "does State High have any weaknesses this year/ challenges you've had to overcome". The coach replied with his answer, which I think is perfectly reasonable. Depth is not spectacular at State High, which shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.