• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Hunt 16B's

From memory, it has been very rare for IGS to field a 16b team in the last decade. Players drop out as they get older, they usually lose a couple to Firsts and there just aren't the numbers to sustain a 16b team at IGS.

It starts at the younger age groups when you can only field two or three teams. A school of this size and with some wonderful rugby history should be fielding four and five teams in the younger age groups. By the time they get to 16's and Opens they would be more likely to have three teams competing.
I blame soccer. Ever since the swap of rugby from Term 2 to 3. With the basketball and rugby seasons colliding, duo talents have been wasted. I'm guessing this would be true for Ipswich. Miss the days when no one was interested in soccer and everyone was too busy watching the real footy.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Some very interesting results in 16 A s
TGS beat NC and ACGS beat GT.
Who would have picked that from 15 A matches last year?

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Churchie to win the premiership
I can believe that. They played really well. Not big but very well drilled. Bone crunching defence. GT line out was terrible. Won about 10 per cent of their own ball. No tall timber at 4 or 5. GT forwards had no go forward which made it hard for what appeared to be talented 11,12,13 and 14. Some missed tackles by the close in backs were punished by some great Churchie tries.
Given the results of their 1st XV they can look forward to improved results next year

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
I watched the BSHS v Downlands 2nd and 1st XV game yesterday afternoon.
2nds was exactly how I thought the game would go. BSHS dominated the game and within first 10 minutes it was obvious BSHS were going to win. No surprises there. I thought the BSHS centre who scored 3 tries was outstanding as well as the flanker who was yellow carded at the start of the game, his defense was unrelenting, also liked the hooker too, he had some powerful runs and was rewarded with a try.
However the 1st XV game was not what I, nor anyone else, was expecting.
From the start you could see BSHS had some serious competition and it was not the walk in the park they may have been expecting. Downlands opened the scoreboard with an impressive first try, however BSHS was able to gain possession from a Downlands error at the kick off and they used the opportunity to score a try, although the missed the conversion kept Downlands in the lead 7-5. This was followed by another well earned try and conversion from Downlands but once again BSHS was quick to answer with a try. Downlands continued to lead for most of the first half but just before half time BSHS were able to score to put them in a 3 point lead 17-14 at HT.
The second half BSHS fielded a very different team, with only about a third of the starting 1st XV remaining. The rest of the players were made up of 16A and 2nd Players, who did well considering they had just played a full game beforehand. The game progressed much like the first half, and no.8 who remained on the field from the first half scored his 3rd try before he came off. Downlands were able to walk away with a 31-27 win. I thought both teams played well although Downlands exceeded my expectations and BSHS did not. The BSHS number 8 had a great game.

I thought it was interesting to see Quade Cooper in the stands watching the 2nds and 1sts. He's a churchie old boy, so had me wondering what brought him to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Terrace may not have lost a game but how many did they draw?

There are no premierships outside of the 1st XV.

GT drew two games against NC and BSHS I think, BBC lost one to GT. In my books if there was a premiership that would make it a draw. In other news, no one brags about age group premierships except the kids themselves.

I saw that GT team again this year play my boys side in the 15s and they played very well. I don't see any school beating them in that age group but with their broken season who knows. That 13 of theirs is apparently only in grade 9 and he's close to 1st XV worthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets three years in the GT 1sts.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I saw that GT team again this year play my boys side in the 15s and they played very well. I don't see any school beating them in that age group but with their broken season who knows. That 13 of theirs is apparently only in grade 9 and he's close to 1st XV worthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets three years in the GT 1sts.[/quote]

From what I have seen this year the number 13 for the 15 As at BBC,GT & BGS could all play 1st xv very shortly

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
In my books if there was a premiership that would make it a draw. In other news, no one brags about age group premierships except the kids themselves.

If you look at GPS Sporting Pulse- you will see there is a ladder & points for each age/division.
Will you be happy if we say "top of ladder" rather than premiership.
Also -re bragging rights-try telling that to any parent/coach of any team-say the 14Es- who trains all pre season hoping they can win the comp.

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
I watched the Churchie V GT games on the weekend. The Churchie 16A's looked very impressive from 1 to 15. I expected GT to walk all over Churchie but they were completely dominated. I'm not sure if they have any new boys but Churchie 16A's need to be congratulated. They have now beaten the 2 top teams from last year.

I then watched the FirstXV and Terrace would have beaten anybody on that performance. I don't believe the score line was a true indication of the game. 2 of Terrace tries where not tries with one being a obstruction. The second was the winger must have been 2 metres off side. Having said all of that GT were deserved winners. The standouts for GT was the NO.5. He is the best second rower in the GPS comp and I understand he is only in grade 11. The winger NO.14 for GT must be the fastest young man in the comp. The No.8 was like a tiger ready to pounce on it's prey at every opportunity in the breakdown, not big in frame but huge in heart.

For Churchie the NO.2 was best on field with the NO.9 a close second. The 2 was everywhere. The No.9 had some great runs he may just need to work on his chip kick. Well done GT.

Next week is shaping as a cracker between GT and IGS as I understand IGS lost at the death to TSS.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Quick update on the preseason form guide following the first two rounds:

16A’s – Battle of today V tomorrow

TSS
GT
NC
IGS

NC & GT will benefit greatly without their immersion programs. IGS were good last year, but I still think at full strength NC and GT are the cream of the crop here. If they are not required to supply too many to the Firsts they should finish top 3 with TSS who usually sport a few new recruits.

BBC could be the surprises here.

Wow way off the mark on this one – ACGS looking good and already accounting for IGS and GT, NC looking out of sorts even with little Firsts impact, I’ll also put the watch on TGS rather than BBC.
15As – Oh what might have been?

BSHS
BBC
GT
NC

BSHS look bigger and faster than ever with amazing depth across the age group. BCC remain classy but I defiantly saw some defensive issues being hidden by speed over the last few years and I think BSHS catch them this year. GT are a very good team (IMO the best in the age group) but will miss players and be distracted throughout while NC face the same issues as Terrace but are not quite as good.

No surprise packages here the top 3 are all very good and well balanced – BBC V BSHS should decide the title and it is a shame we won’t see GT at its best.

Hard to change much here yet, other than to say missing a full strength BBC V GT battle is the tragedy of this seasons GPS Competition

14A’s – The bigger they are the harder they fall

IGS
BSHS
BBC
GT

Same top 4 as last year – but not necessarily in the same order. BBC and GT will be stronger in personnel and on the field and just a little closer than they were last year. This year is probably too soon but I expect a changing of the guard in U15 with BBC rising to the top and GT closing the gap but cruelled by immersion.

TGS if anyone upsets the top 4.

The top two are away and heading towards a monumental clash, while GT threatened to spring an almighty upset in round one, BBC still flying under the radar with the bye (&BGS) and TGS are 2 for 2 against some handy competition.
13A’s – Size really does matter

GT
IGS
BSHS
BBC

GT were easily the pick (and biggest) of the under 12s in 2015 and have some quality new boys arriving as do BBC. IGS and BSHS are always good in 13’s and were pretty good last year in the 12s - IGS field a couple of the hardest tacklers I have seen at this age. I know little of the BSHS new boys but I expect them to be good and big. BBC will probably lack the depth of the top 3 but have some real class, a few worthy workers and could (but probably won’t) beat any of the top three on their day. IGS V GT to decide the title.

ACGS the dark horse with an excellent forward pack but not much size out wide.

Interesting start to the season – GT not looking as dominant as many predicted, but still getting the job done – IGS have deservedly overtaken them for favoritism. BBC have yet to show any of their cards and ACGS have performed extremely well against the (preseason) top 2 – could they go undefeated from here on out.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Quick update on the preseason form guide following the first two rounds:

16A’s – Battle of today V tomorrow

TSS
GT
NC
IGS

NC & GT will benefit greatly without their immersion programs. IGS were good last year, but I still think at full strength NC and GT are the cream of the crop here. If they are not required to supply too many to the Firsts they should finish top 3 with TSS who usually sport a few new recruits.

BBC could be the surprises here.

Wow way off the mark on this one – ACGS looking good and already accounting for IGS and GT, NC looking out of sorts even with little Firsts impact, I’ll also put the watch on TGS rather than BBC.
15As – Oh what might have been?

BSHS
BBC
GT
NC

BSHS look bigger and faster than ever with amazing depth across the age group. BCC remain classy but I defiantly saw some defensive issues being hidden by speed over the last few years and I think BSHS catch them this year. GT are a very good team (IMO the best in the age group) but will miss players and be distracted throughout while NC face the same issues as Terrace but are not quite as good.

No surprise packages here the top 3 are all very good and well balanced – BBC V BSHS should decide the title and it is a shame we won’t see GT at its best.

Hard to change much here yet, other than to say missing a full strength BBC V GT battle is the tragedy of this seasons GPS Competition

14A’s – The bigger they are the harder they fall

IGS
BSHS
BBC
GT

Same top 4 as last year – but not necessarily in the same order. BBC and GT will be stronger in personnel and on the field and just a little closer than they were last year. This year is probably too soon but I expect a changing of the guard in U15 with BBC rising to the top and GT closing the gap but cruelled by immersion.

TGS if anyone upsets the top 4.

The top two are away and heading towards and monumental clash, while GT threatened to spring an almighty upset in round one, BBC still flying under the radar with the bye (&BGS) and TGS are 2 for 2 against some handy competition.
13A’s – Size really does matter

GT
IGS
BSHS
BBC

GT were easily the pick (and biggest) of the under 12s in 2015 and have some quality new boys arriving as do BBC. IGS and BSHS are always good in 13’s and were pretty good last year in the 12s - IGS field a couple of the hardest tacklers I have seen at this age. I know little of the BSHS new boys but I expect them to be good and big. BBC will probably lack the depth of the top 3 but have some real class, a few worthy workers and could (but probably won’t) beat any of the top three on their day. IGS V GT to decide the title.

ACGS the dark horse with an excellent forward pack but not much size out wide.

Interesting start to the season – GT not looking as dominant as many predicted, but still getting the job done – IGS have deservedly overtaken them for favoritism. BBC have yet to show any of their cards and ACGS have performed extremely well against the (preseason) top 2 – could they go undefeated from here on out.

Very interesting article. Congrats on your fair and unbiased appraisal.
I did not go to Toowoomba but trotted off to northgate on Saturday.Although they won I was disappointed with BBC 16A and15A .
Heard a lot about that 15A backline and saw them put a 40 point spanking on NC last year. Did not look sharp on Saturday
However I was very impressed by BBC 13 A - they were much better than I was lead to believe with some big boppers and well drilled.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
In my books if there was a premiership that would make it a draw. In other news, no one brags about age group premierships except the kids themselves.

If you look at GPS Sporting Pulse- you will see there is a ladder & points for each age/division.
Will you be happy if we say "top of ladder" rather than premiership.
Also -re bragging rights-try telling that to any parent/coach of any team-say the 14Es- who trains all pre season hoping they can win the comp.

Don't confuse a website that provides a good service with the actual competition rules. If someone has a copy of the GPS guidelines document thing you will see it expressly states there is no premiership outside of the 1st XV. This is the same for every GPS sport every school ever plays. I've had this discussion a hundred times, it's the same outcome.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Don't confuse a website that provides a good service with the actual competition rules. If someone has a copy of the GPS guidelines document thing you will see it expressly states there is no premiership outside of the 1st XV. This is the same for every GPS sport every school ever plays. I've had this discussion a hundred times, it's the same outcome.
Are you delusional. Tell me one parent in any age group who doesn't turn up every week not knowing exactly where their team is on the ladder. Otherwise what the hell are the kids playing for. BSHS versus GT under 14A's last round last year. Every kid and every parent at the ground new exactly what was at stake in that game. And the game was played hard and intense because GT knew if they won the game they won the competition. And I think from memory BSHS may have had a chance of winning the competition aswell. To say otherwise is simply delusional.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
[quote="DarkSide, post: 864632, member: 37784"

I bet you work for the Tax office.
I do not care what the rules say -- if you finish top of the ladder at end of the season then you win the fing premiership
Title/ premiership / gong - call it what you want---- but that is what you are playing for .!! And in the 14 A comp last year we all know who
got most points and was 1st on published GPS points table.[/quote]

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And then there are the lines / inscriptions on Blazers , colours , half colours , and - even crown insignia for an undefeated season at some schools

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Warren Wobble- where for art thou?
The Range Rover Gang are playing the stratco sheds soon.
And this weekend the Western Suburbs group confront old boys' day at TSS- more fake tans & pearly whites than at Brookfield Shopping centre(I think you said last year).

Status
Not open for further replies.