• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Pretty confident TGS 12 Oates arrived at TGS in grade 8, is a country kid that has been developed as a player by the TGS crew and is not a brother of Corey Oates, but is a cousin, and by the way there are no boys on the supposed league bursaries at TGS you talk of and haven't been for a few years now
I think TSS probably has the best open sides by a margin this year, particularly the 2nds an BBC 2nds will be the next best I've seen so far this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure BSHS 1st 15 and 2nd 15 are both undefeated so far. And BSHS 1st 15 beat GT, who beat TSS on the weekend. So saying that TSS have the best open side by a margin this year is a bit rich.

Clayman

Frank Row (1)
Pretty sure BSHS 1st 15 and 2nd 15 are both undefeated so far. And BSHS 1st 15 beat GT, who beat TSS on the weekend. So saying that TSS have the best open side by a margin this year is a bit rich.
Comment was on open sides across the age group, I don't follow TSS but their 2nds are undefeated and I'm also pretty sure BSHS 4th and 5ths haven't had a win for a few seasons now!

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Comment was on open sides across the age group, I don't follow TSS but their 2nds are undefeated and I'm also pretty sure BSHS 4th and 5ths haven't had a win for a few seasons now!

Hahaha. BSHS 4th and 5ths. That is funny. If you checked the books I think you will find they don't have those teams. They don't have the numbers or the depth at the school. You need to remember half the population of the school are females. Take out about another 30 percent of the school that are of Asian background (who historically tend to do very well academically but don't seem to focus on rugby),and I think you will find numbers are a bit thin. Although we now at least have three teams in each age group which is a step up from a few years ago.

Clayman

Frank Row (1)
Hahaha. BSHS 4th and 5ths. That is funny. If you checked the books I think you will find they don't have those teams. They don't have the numbers or the depth at the school. You need to remember half the population of the school are females. Take out about another 30 percent of the school that are of Asian background (who historically tend to do very well academically but don't seem to focus on rugby),and I think you will find numbers are a bit thin. Although we now at least have three teams in each age group which is a step up from a few years ago.
Glad you got the joke!
I rest my case on the strongest opens age group.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Glad you got the joke!

Don't think it is quite that clear cut

GT v TSS on the weekend

Was 1st & Thirds to GT
2nds, 4ths and 5ths to TSS
6ths a Draw

Look pretty even to me
BAG

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Just looking at the open results, I noticed what a great competition the 3rds is putting on.

We have 4 sides still in it with NC and ACGS undefeated and TSS, GT and BBC with one loss each.

ACGS have a win over GT (19-12), TSS lost to GT (27-26), while NC have easily beaten the bottom teams, BBC are still 3 and 1 but look a little behind the others on results.

Still to play;
GT v BBC
GT v NC
ACGS v NC
ACGS v TSS
ACGS v BBC
NC v BBC

Great completion between the top 3 or 4

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Glad you got the joke!

This is going around in circles.
Let's look at the opens. BSHS 1st 15 and 2nd 15 both undefeated. TSS lost to GT who the BSHS 1st 15 beat.
The TSS under 12, under 13, and under 14's have not won a single game after four rounds?? Can you confirm that for me and still say with a straight face that TSS is the best open rugby school in the competition.
The BSHS 14A's and 12's A's are undefeated.
Now I know rugby goes cycles and every school has it's share of successes. But please don't go making statements like you are the best rugby school in the opens when you 12's, 13's and 14's A's have not won a single game between them.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Just looking at the open results, I noticed what a great competition the 3rds is putting on.

We have 4 sides still in it with NC and ACGS undefeated and TSS, GT and BBC with one loss each.

ACGS have a win over GT (19-12), TSS lost to GT (27-26), while NC have easily beaten the bottom teams, BBC are still 3 and 1 but look a little behind the others on results.

Still to play;
GT v BBC
GT v NC
ACGS v NC
ACGS v TSS
ACGS v BBC
NC v BBC

Great completion between the top 3 or 4
I think injuries could play a big part in this comp as I know a few schools are not that strong off the bench, I also have noticed some average goal kickers which is very important in the business end. Any takers??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I will be very surprised if TSS 2nds are not undefeated. Very very strong. BBC looked good & they destroyed them.
In fact-if you check the records I think you will find TSS have been 1st & 2nd in the 2nd xv & 3rd xv for many many years.Great win by GT in 3rds last week because that is a strong TSS 3rds.
As someone said earlier the difference between TSS 14s - you play last year and 15s you play this year is huge.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
With the half way point coming up in the comp, there are two undefeated teams, NC and BSHS, and three with one loss (GT, TSS and BBC).

I believe that any one of these five sides could win the premiership, be that outright or shared.

Some great games ahead. Looking forward to them.

Great post. Very accurate.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
not only the results that are improving out BBC way.Watched my nephew in 13B s on weekend and was very impressed to see 1stxv players running the water = culture

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Good round up of games this weekend

BGS v TSS - Fitting that they are playing on a cricket oval such should be the score line. TSS 0 for 50 by stumps.

TGS v ACGS - The desperately unlucky Downs lads are now back on home turf and will make sure they don't even the Grey and White so much as a bone.

BBC v NC - BBC are yet to hit their top gear and will be challenged hard by Nudgee . May be a tighter contest than it should be if the game opens up and Nudgee can get their talent firing in their backline

IGS v BSHS. The Hub Cap Shield . The Ipswegians in a shock rocker here.

Outside of the First XV match ups other notable match ups across the rounds to look out for :

2nd XV - BBC v NC

15A - IGS v BSHS

14A - IGS v BSHS

Clayman

Frank Row (1)
not only the results that are improving out BBC way.Watched my nephew in 13B s on weekend and was very impressed to see 1stxv players running the water = culture
Good to hear that!
Yeah It's not just about the 1st cv and A's

RedBlackRed

Frank Row (1)
Heard some interesting insight from a former TSS dad on the weekend. The reason they do so historically well in the opens in recent years is because at the very least more than half of the boys playing opens are 18yo

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Heard some interesting insight from a former TSS dad on the weekend. The reason they do so historically well in the opens in recent years is because at the very least more than half of the boys playing opens are 18yo

Yes. Unlike any other Qld GPS school I know of, TSS have no u16 players in this year's Firsts. Mainly due to number of 18 year old players in team. This occurs because the school aligned itself to the NSW school system many many years before Qld did with intake into school being six months to a year older. It has given TSS Opens a "natural" advantage for around the last two decades at least.

This advantage will disappear in about four years when current Year 8's reach Senior, being the first Qld year group to go through a Prep Year and aligning itself with the NSW Education Age intakes.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
This advantage will disappear in about four years when current Year 8's reach Senior, being the first Qld year group to go through a Prep Year and aligning itself with the NSW Education Age intakes.

I believe it's the current Years 9's (distributed among the current u14's and 15's).

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes. Unlike any other Qld GPS school I know of, TSS have no u16 players in this year's Firsts. Mainly due to number of 18 year old players in team. This occurs because the school aligned itself to the NSW school system many many years before Qld did with intake into school being six months to a year older. It has given TSS Opens a "natural" advantage for around the last two decades at least.

That is wrong. There 12 who is currently playing 10 was in Western Australia last year us an u15. There is a few

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
"Yes. Unlike any other Qld GPS school I know of, TSS have no u16 players in this year's Firsts. Mainly due to number of 18 year old players in team. This occurs because the school aligned itself to the NSW school system many many years before Qld did with intake into school being six months to a year older. It has given TSS Opens a "natural" advantage for around the last two decades at least."

Rubbish. Majority of boys are only turning 17 this year. A few of them still 16 and not turning 17 till later in the year. A mix of year 11 and year 12 across both 16 and 17. I think the only one 18 is the big N05 and he came from Northern NSW 3 years ago, so prob that is why. Correct Getwithme, saw No10 Campbell P?? play in Jnr Gold Cup for WA last year and was the winning difference in the game v Gold Coast with his kicking and yes, he is young.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
"Yes. Unlike any other Qld GPS school I know of, TSS have no u16 players in this year's Firsts. Mainly due to number of 18 year old players in team. This occurs because the school aligned itself to the NSW school system many many years before Qld did with intake into school being six months to a year older. It has given TSS Opens a "natural" advantage for around the last two decades at least."

Rubbish. Majority of boys are only turning 17 this year. A few of them still 16 and not turning 17 till later in the year. A mix of year 11 and year 12 across both 16 and 17. I think the only one 18 is the big N05 and he came from Northern NSW 3 years ago, so prob that is why. Correct Getwithme, saw No10 Campbell P?? play in Jnr Gold Cup for WA last year and was the winning difference in the game v Gold Coast with his kicking and yes, he is young.

In the TSS forward pack the following turn 18 this year:-

1. Dechlan Day
2. Rory Meyer
5. Angus Blyth
6. Josh Tonkin
7. Finn McElroy
8. Tipene Mavoa

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
In the TSS forward pack the following turn 18 this year:-

1. Dechlan Day
2. Rory Meyer
5. Angus Blyth
6. Josh Tonkin
7. Finn McElroy
8. Tipene Mavoa

wow that makes a difference in last 10 minutes . it is usually same for Nudgee but not this year: has been for some tome.

Status
Not open for further replies.