• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
BGS are in a position where they will be competitive in all games this year, and pip a few teams but by no means are premier contenders as TheKing said. IGS to me are a lot better than everyone is giving them credit for. They beat GT (not sure about TGS) on the weekend. I'd say there are a log jam of middle teams and only 2 real front runners with BBC pushing hard from behind

Concur : IGS will be top 4. Drew with NC in 1st gps trial at TSS and last 3 wks of getting some match fitness would have benefited the big boys from Ippy.
Very Happy to make money on the $21 odds.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Melbourne Rebels (14)

James Hanson, GT 2005
Jake Schatz, ACGS 2007
Dom Shipperley, NC 2008
Sam Jeffries, NC 2009
Tom Moloney, NC 2011
Ben Meehan, BSHS 2011
Sean McMahon, NC 2011
Jonah Placid, TGS 2012
Harley Fox, ACGS 2014
Jack Farrell, BBC 2015
Emmanuel Meafou-Latu, IGS 2015
Tim Sippel, BSHS 2015
Semisi Tupou, NC 2016
Richard Clift, TGS 2016
Alo-Emile
Brumbies (17)

Josh Mann-Rea, NC 1998
Aidan Toua, ACGS 2007
Jarrad Butler, TSS 2008
Andrew Muirhead, BSHS 2011
Lausii Taliauli, TSS 2012
Lolo Fakaosilea, BBC 2012
Tom Banks, BBC 2012
Fred Dorrough, TSS 2014
Angus Allen, TSS 2015
Angus Wagner, ACGS 2015
Liam Moseley, NC 2015
Zac Shepard, BSHS 2015
Geoffrey Robertson, IGS 2015
Darcy Swain, BBC 2015
Tevita Wolske, IGS 2015
Dawie Verryne, NC 2016
Len Ikitau, BBC 2016
Mat To'omua
Waratahs (5)

Con Foley, GT 2009
Matt Lucas, GT 2009
Jamason Fa'anana-Schultz, IGS 2013
Maclean Jones, NC 2013
Mack Mason, ACGS 2014

Western Force (4)

Jono Lance, TSS 2007
Luke Morahan, TSS 2007
Angus Cottrell, BBC 2008
Shambeckler Vui, IGS 2014[/quote]

King, Ive added 2 more .Im sure there is a lot more.
Great article (10's rugby) btw.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
With a tough preseason under their belts, three GPS Schoolboys teams have been selected to contest the Queensland Schoolboys trials at Ballymore from the 21-23 June.

Nudgee College, Gregory Terrace and Brisbane Boys' College are the best represented schools, with 10 players selected each.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 5.37.39 PM.png

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I think I have seen enough so far, opening book makers markets would look as follows for the 2017 First XV.

TSS -$1.80
NC - $3.50
GT -$5.00
BBC - $11
BGS - $25
ACGS - $50
BSHS-$50
TGS-$150
IGS-$200

I will place $30 on IGS at 200/1, thanks!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hearing more from the boys as we speak.

Halatoa Puafisi (TGS) has ruptured his ACL and is out indefinitely as he waits for surgery.

Tristan Stanghorn (ACGS) has a broken scapula that ruled him out of the QLD Trials but he'll be right for the GPS Season and as a late call-up to Aus if need be.

Mitch Wood (NC) has just come out the other side of knee tendonitis, so missed the QLD Trials.

Jordan Petaia (BSHS) is just coming back from surgery, so missed the QLD Trials and is due back next week.

Jared Chambers (BSHS) has "done his ACL and a bit more" - out for the season.

Koen Dovey (TSS) was ill for the trials and decided to rest for the GPS season

Tom Van Der Schyff (TSS) has nearly recovered from a foot injury and is due back soon

Conrad Green (BBC) has rehabbing post-surgery but will be extremely lucky to take the field this year.

Greg Adams

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks King

Any idea on who is coaching ? Also would appreciate your thoughts on weather the gps 1 bench Is stronger than the gps 2 starting positions,

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
BBC .?Really ?? with that pop-gun backline of midgets?
Yes next year -I agree.
I hear their star number 8 is wearing a sling -did not play Friday & will not play this weekend.

I've watched them play and they are a big dynamic forward back with some very smart footy players. I think they will surprise you[/quote]

mmn .You may be right.I see 6 of their forward pack made GPS 1 or 2.
And the prop that did not make it is a giant.
Maybe they will play Jake White rugby.

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
The GPS squads are interesting mix. Some handy players not making it possibly through injury.
Surprised that two halfbacks can be included in the squads from Churchie given how well they have been travelling.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With a tough preseason under their belts, three GPS Schoolboys teams have been selected to contest the Queensland Schoolboys trials at Ballymore from the 21-23 June.

Nudgee College, Gregory Terrace and Brisbane Boys' College are the best represented schools, with 10 players selected each.

View attachment 9324

King, how many Grade 11s in those teams?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Some interesting calls by the selectors.
  • The front row stocks look extremely thick with the only 1 of BSHS Dynamite front three in GPS. Mahina (BSHS) in GPS 3 and Malolua (BSHS) very unlucky to miss a starting spot. GPS 2's front row is right up there too with Van Nek (BBC), Tuimavave (BGS) and Taugaele (BBC).
  • Interesting that Vela-Tupuhi (BBC) is selected at 6, I always thought he was a second rower
  • The 10 depth is incredible with Parata (TSS), Whiteside (IGS) and Crone (BSHS) taking those 3 spots.
  • All benches have plenty of talent with GPS 1 having Moseley (NC) and Malolua (BSHS), GPS 2 having JP Tominiko (ACGS) and Tautau (NC) and GPS 3 having Gerrard (TSS)
  • Plenty of year 11's thrown in the mix too with GPS 1's Tabuai-Fidow (BGS) and GPS 2's Kirk (GT) leading the way (correct me if I missed anyone here)

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
There have already been some changes to the GPS teams due to injury. Finlay Hume is playing 10/15 for ACGS. ACGS No.9 is the halfback picked. I'm sure will be other changes after school trail games this weekend. The final makeup of the teams will only become clear in the following week.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Touchwood injuries wont have too much of an impact with selection...and speedy recoveries to those boys with injuries. . . and for those boys picked in the gps squads...grab the opportunity with both hands. . .you have earned it..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the high performance in the AIC of Marist and Padua in the past few years, its pretty evident that they should be invited to the GPS comp.

how's their cricket, swimming, athletics, rowing, volleyball et al?

Oh and the ability to add an extra lane to swimming pools and athletics tracks and rowing courses?

Of course that is a flippant answer, but also the justification behind their non-inclusion.

It would be great to see a broader schools competition in years to come. Perhaps if AIC was to move to Term 3 as well, then something in Sept holidays as a culmination of the season could work?

Status
Not open for further replies.