• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

MongoRahRahFilth

Bob McCowan (2)
He came from St Peters Lutheran College an AIC school I believe he quit rugby their when he got the shits for not making the firsts I think it was due to an attitude problem and a falling out with the head coach but I may be wrong. He also played 16A's for Nudgee last year aswell though and had a good season.

Bigdadda Thank you for letting us all know a bit more about this young fellow. well it's a shame for that college and AIC but a gain for Nudgee and GPS. He showed some attitude yesterday in the round one clash and it was a really good attitude. He must of been a good kid and a good player for Nudgee to show interest in him because judging on his performances he has some major skill. I have just done some research on him and he is all throughout the Nudgee pre season promotional video (with 15 on his back?) so it seems he has been a well kept secret of the NC coaching staff and he was also highlighted in the national championships for this great step in a Qld schools 1 game. Nudgee has obviously brought out the best in this young fellow and this is what Schoolboys rugby should be about. We deserve to see kids like this playing at the top tier of our Schoolboys game. But it's only round 1 and it will be good to see him play more and hopefully he brings more of what he brought yesterday, it was a big game and he came up with a big game play and for us Old Blue & White faithful it was a great thing to bare witness to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MongoRahRahFilth

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah, Sheppard was injured. He had a very small tear in his hammy from Thursday afternoons training session. Ethan Robbins played on the wing instead. Atkinson played well at fullback; wasn't afraid to run the ball. Other Nudgee stand outs were Joe Small at inside, Tom Forde at Prop and Hayden Moseley at 7. Of course, Jangala Bennett, who was widely spoken about, was also brilliant. Reesjan, the flyhalf, was the game winner, but almost cost the team a victory after gifting GT possession and reducing the team to 14 at a pivotal point in the game.

The 10 for Nudgee played well but had a few immature moments (getting carded) but he will get better as the season goes forward, he displays real quality as did the number 4 he is tough and really got involved with everything although he had a brain snap to receive the card also but these are young teenaged men so that will happen at the best and worst of times. I thought the 9 was ok but the 9 for GT probably outplayed the NC captain. Joe Small is an outstanding athlete and has great hands for a big strapping young lad but is probably more suited to the back row then inside? This weeks game should be great !

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Fantastic day at Boondall yesterday, beautiful weather combined with very spirited rugby all day made for great rugby. Interestingly Nudgee won all A games, U15's had their first win against Terrace in this age group. Crowd for the 1st's must of topped 5k, biggest crowd since Grammar beat Nudgee in 2012. Streets around Boondall were absolutely clogged. The finish certainly ended Old Boys day on the right note, Terrace will be gutted. Gut feel says both sides are on the young side and will struggle against TSS, I think after Soli went off both had 6 x U16 players and may well feel the effects towards the end of the season. Terrific to see the competition so close, I predict a bolter will win the comp, green and black may give a hint.

Full cudos to Terrace community for accepting and not whinging about the result of a great game of football in such controversial circumatances, and full credit to Referee Hoffman for a great performance and even awarding the re-kick - showed no bias as a Terrace old boy I believe.

I think either of those sides are the favourites to be holding the trophy at the end of the season, game of the season may have come in round 1.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was curious to hear any feedback on the performance of the recently selected Aust schoolboys and barbarian players from QLD.
Heres my thoughts on the TSS vs BSHS game matchups.
1.#3Moses Alo-Emile vs 1# Egan Siggs(both Barbarians) . I thought this was a great battle and both deserved their place in the Barbarians. However, it was an eye opener and a player to watch TSS 3# Zane Nonggorr. Very mobile and difficult to bring the big man down. May need to do a bit more work on the set pieces(srumageing)
2. #12 Noa Alesio(Aust Schoolboys) vs #12 Christian A . This was a very interesting matchup. Christian held his own and was a solid defender in the first half, and then Noa enjoyed thew dominance of the TSS forwards to provide the platform for the backs.
3. #15 Jordan Petaia(Aust Schoolboys centre) vs Max D(Barbarians FB). I thought JP was the most dominant back in the game. A constant threat with ball in hand. Big boot. MD also ran great lines especially in the 2nd half.

Frank Smith

Stan Wickham (3)
He came from St Peters Lutheran College an AIC school I believe he quit rugby their when he got the shits for not making the firsts I think it was due to an attitude problem and a falling out with the head coach but I may be wrong. He also played 16A's for Nudgee last year aswell though and had a good season.

It seems he hasn't got rid of his bad attitude and expectations. He seemed to fire up over a head high tackle and argued back with the ref. I don't think NC care too much about it as he's a talented young bloke and will help them put a few points on the board.

troysnowden

Bob McCowan (2)
After watching Nudgee v BBC 15A last year, I would have thought the nudgee full back (Dan Atkinson) would have better adapted to 1st XV rugby as he was up against a very good flyhalf in the BBC 10, who seems to have flourished by the sounds of it. He looked nervous (which he has every right to be). Anyone got highlights of BBC v IGS?

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
I was curious to hear any feedback on the performance of the recently selected Aust schoolboys and barbarian players from QLD.
Heres my thoughts on the TSS vs BSHS game matchups.
1.#3Moses Alo-Emile vs 1# Egan Siggs(both Barbarians) . I thought this was a great battle and both deserved their place in the Barbarians. However, it was an eye opener and a player to watch TSS 3# Zane Nonggorr. Very mobile and difficult to bring the big man down. May need to do a bit more work on the set pieces(srumageing)
2. #12 Noa Alesio(Aust Schoolboys) vs #12 Christian A . This was a very interesting matchup. Christian held his own and was a solid defender in the first half, and then Noa enjoyed thew dominance of the TSS forwards to provide the platform for the backs.
3. #15 Jordan Petaia(Aust Schoolboys centre) vs Max D(Barbarians FB). I thought JP was the most dominant back in the game. A constant threat with ball in hand. Big boot. MD also ran great lines especially in the 2nd half.

At BBC
Hosea - Aussie schools was a standout - brilliant at kickoffs;
Ngamanu -( Baa baa) offloading at will standing wide;
Kibble - ( Baa Baa)did not make any big runs but good turnovers and brutal tackles;
Gordon - Qld 2 surely has the best pass in the comp
For IGS

- Whitside was quiet
- Did Rapilla play( he was listed)?
- the number 11 was like trying to tackle a runaway bull
- Koorts was good in 1st half but like his front row partners- ran out of puff.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
After watching Nudgee v BBC 15A last year, I would have thought the nudgee full back (Dan Atkinson) would have better adapted to 1st XV rugby as he was up against a very good flyhalf in the BBC 10, who seems to have flourished by the sounds of it. He looked nervous (which he has every right to be). Anyone got highlights of BBC v IGS?

BBC 10 made Qld 2 and had a blinder in 1st xv on Saturday . Interesting tactic by IGS to stand the massive number 11 at flyhalf off set piece at run him straight at BBC 10 - he missed the first tackle of the game - but none after that. But i must say BBC 6 ( Kibble?) did step in to help out with some massive hits on 11.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The same Alexander Smit who played fullback for GPS 3 at the State Championships is playing blindside for BSHS?

YES KING.
I thought it was a stroke of genious by the coach and an act of amazing courage and maturity by the young man.Never played there before and just switched in the pre-season but its his very first game at #6. Keep an eye out for young AS :) . The next Pocock in the making(switching from backs to forwards).

troysnowden

Bob McCowan (2)
Is it bad I didn't know Ethan Robbins was on the field until he scored the try in the last minute to win it for NC? Mustn't have made an impression on me.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Is it bad I didn't know Ethan Robbins was on the field until he scored the try in the last minute to win it for NC? Mustn't have made an impression on me.

He came off the bench sometime in the second half, so I guess it's not bad you didn't notice him?

Will Smith

Peter Burge (5)
At BBC
Hosea - Aussie schools was a standout - brilliant at kickoffs;
Ngamanu -( Baa baa) offloading at will standing wide;
Kibble - ( Baa Baa)did not make any big runs but good turnovers and brutal tackles;
Gordon - Qld 2 surely has the best pass in the comp
For IGS

- Whitside was quiet
- Did Rapilla play( he was listed)?
- the number 11 was like trying to tackle a runaway bull
- Koorts was good in 1st half but like his front row partners- ran out of puff.

BBC played well, I do not believe IGS played to their standards... Yes #11 Viliami Lea was near impossible to take down, there was a run of his where I saw him go through the lineout

John Locke

Bob McCowan (2)
Ethan Robbins actually started in place of an injured Sheppard. The commentators kept calling him Sheppard though. Got a yellow card in the first half. Played ok, but didn't take his opportunity to overtake injured Sheppard and Blackmore to be a first choice winger.

MongoRahRahFilth

Bob McCowan (2)
He had #14 on?

I thought the young winger Robbins played well enough but I'm not sure who he has replaced so can't make judgement but he did some good things in that position. It was a really big game and for him to come into the side at the very last minute as a backup winger speaks volumes for his character.

MongoRahRahFilth

Bob McCowan (2)
GT robbed, all crowd noise, cant hear any noise on the replay or live, Rohan Hoffman is arrogant and disrespects the game and he wants to decide who should win rather then letting the game pan out.

It's in the laws of rugby not to yell when challenging ? In the footage you can clearly hear the GT gentleman yell whilst challenging. The experienced ref (GT old boy?) made an experienced and correct decision. It is unfortunate for the GT gentleman but that's rugby.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
GT robbed, all crowd noise, cant hear any noise on the replay or live, Rohan Hoffman is arrogant and disrespects the game and he wants to decide who should win rather then letting the game pan out.

Want to rethink that one? I don't like Rohan at all, not even slightly. The way he talks to the kids grates me, and I question his judgement over the third card against Nudgee. There's a reason he's no longer a Super Rugby referee.

However, you can clearly hear at least 1 Terrace boy yell during the kick, so unfortunately for Terrace they have to cop that one no matter how unfair it seems.

Here's the link time stamped:

I'd have thought Terrace had a better argument against the penalty he blew at the turnover before the try. I rewatched it a few times and I can't see what Rohan sees at all.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
TGS 24 BGS 12 a very interesting result seeing how TGS was doing everything for the first 1/2 of the game to loose it and BGS seemed to be the dominate team. TGS were their own worst enemies and were continually plagued with handling errors which put a lot of pressure on them selves. In the end the superior fitness of TGS along with a lot of heart pulled them through with a try against the run of play and another which looked like a set move off the line out. if BGS hadn't run out of puff I think the result would have been a lot tighter.
In an interesting side note TGS 16a's run out winners 47 to 7 could be a team worth watching and with 5 grade 11's that started in the firsts this weekend things could be interesting for TGS next year. Anyway its only the first game of the season so we will not try to get to ahead of ourselves.

How many of the 6/7 new grade 11 RL boys played in 1st xv?

Status
Not open for further replies.