• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyescream

Bob McCowan (2)
I personally thought TSS played well, not scrappy at all, BBC have the forwards but they lost line outs on there own throw, and scrums as well, TSS did well starving them of the ball in the first half, was good to see Parata (10) back, his kicking game was missed last week, turning point for TSS was when Gerrard (8) picked up an injury, eventually leaving the field in the second half, hope all is well with the BBC (2) who had a neck injury and TSS (8)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from today - BBC v TSS

Flickr or Facebook

36336926696_8a48745f3a_z_d.jpg

35573543643_64662a6a58_z_d.jpg

36213622932_54a0db0e00_z_d.jpg

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I think you need an assistant HJ, you were carrying around more equipment than an Oil Rigger on maintenance day. :)

No, that wasn't me :) I think you mean the 'official' TSS photographer. I was very low-key, single camera sitting on the scrum machine in front of old boys hill.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
Any thoughts on the incident in the TSS V BBC game where the BBC player was taken out in the air? TSS player was penalised but no card issued. I saw highlights of the Lions V Crusaders and note a player was red carded for taking a player out in the air. I am confused. Can anyone explain why the discrepancy in the rulings?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I did some digging and it looks like Churchie have owned Northgate since 2000. Grammar might never have beaten Churchie on Northgate since acquiring the fields in the ~90s (from the top of my head)

In 2015, Brodie Croft starred in Rd 9 to win 55-18 at Northgate. Su'a was rested for the game and played Broncos U20s that night.

In 2013, an Izaia Perese hat trick got Churchie to a 17-7 win at Northgate.

In 2011, in a potential premiership decider, Churchie edged BGS 26-19.

In 2009 Grammar didn't win a game, so Churchie clearly won at Northgate.

In 2007 - I couldn't find anything. Assume Churchie.

In 2005 Churchie didn't lose a game under Pocock and Quade.

In 2003 Churchie were also undefeated with Karmichael Hunt, but tied with TSS. Still, another win at Northgate.

Well looks like the blue light blue have reclaimed Northgate and THe King you weren't even on them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Any thoughts on the incident in the TSS V BBC game where the BBC player was taken out in the air? TSS player was penalised but no card issued. I saw highlights of the Lions V Crusaders and note a player was red carded for taking a player out in the air. I am confused. Can anyone explain why the discrepancy in the rulings?

You mean the incidents where one player was cartwheeled and landed on his head, and one where the player landed on his feet and wasn't knocked over. Nope, you're right, can't think of any differences.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
The law doesn't talk about outcomes. It's illegal to take out a player in the air full stop.

The TSS flanker should very clearly have received a yellow card which would quite likely have changed the next 10mins where TSS scored 20 points. BBC however could have controlled their lineout throws, inferior scrum, poor kicking (clearance, line, goal and general play) in the first half to counter a very impressive TSS kicking game and committed and dominant TSS forward pack - their halves however sprayed a lot of loose ball in attack

Ngamanu was brilliant with ball in hand but caught out on numerous occasions defensively because of his inexperience at 13.

BBC play like that first half against TGS, GT and NC and they will lose. They did outscore TSS 5 tries to four in their defence but the star 10 did not shine at all yesterday.

NC have had tight wins against GT, BGS and TGS So it's still a very open season.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
My congrats to TSS 10 and 15.That is the most precise tactical kicking display i have see since young Greene was at BGS.
A bit like watching a python strangulate a rat.
The first 3 scores of TSS were all off lost BBC lineouts.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

Yep. I am confused as well. In two earlier Qld GPS games featured by DoubleTake, one player was yellow carded and another red carded for same offence.

At the time I saw it I thought the TSS player was more than lucky not to spend time on sideline. Having watched replay the TSS player seems to not go through with tackle just as he contacts and allows the BBC player to land on his feet. The ref seemed to take that into account. Still TSS very very lucky as it turned out to be a very significant 10 mins to the outcome of the match.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
The law doesn't talk about outcomes. It's illegal to take out a player in the air full stop.

Correct. And he was penalized.

Law 10.4 (i) Tackling player in the air. A player must not tackle nor tap, push or pull the foot or feet of an opponent jumping for the ball in a lineout or in open play.
Sanction: Penalty kick

However, the World Rugby guidelines go into more detail about outcomes for tackling in the air (and lifting tackles)

Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side

Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position

Source: http://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=9&guideline=8&language=EN

In short, land on head or shoulder = Red; land on back or side = Yellow. Note: putting out arms to break fall doesn't change the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.