• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hmm. I must have it wrong. I thought it $28 every 4 weeks?

New subscribers get 50% off the first three months, I believe. Works out to ~$0.50 a day. That also gets you access to the newscorp papers, and as a rugby fan that most notably means Jamie Pandaram at the Daily Tell, who's the best news breaker in Aus Rugby

Re: GT v BGS, I hear a Daejarn Asi intercept try was the difference for BGS, but really hoping one of the GT posters here can elaborate. There seemed to be so many of you a few weeks ago?

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Great article from Nic Darvenzia ( The King )

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/ba0c8117017999533182db939b6ac2b8

Sort of endorses the Combine Harvester concept that has been discussed on here for a while

After last nights debacle that article just shows up as an exemplar of everything that is wrong with Aus rugby.
Elitist, selfish and introspective.
What is so bad about those boys mentioned lifting the standard in their own comps.
The cream will rise to the top and lift the whole game Auswide....if it's allowed to

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
New subscribers get 50% off the first three months, I believe. Works out to ~$0.50 a day. That also gets you access to the newscorp papers, and as a rugby fan that most notably means Jamie Pandaram at the Daily Tell, who's the best news breaker in Aus Rugby

Re: GT v BGS, I hear a Daejarn Asi intercept try was the difference for BGS, but really hoping one of the GT posters here can elaborate. There seemed to be so many of you a few weeks ago?
Asi was the difference across the park .

Set up two tries down the right edge , scored an intercept and kicked very well both in general play and for goal .

Same story for GT as the week before against Churchie , created plenty of opportunities but didn’t convert enough into points. Impatient with the ball , looked like they thought they had to score off first phase and made just too many errors .

Well gone to BGS , they play tough and yesterday played smarter than GT . Better kicking , more patience and fewer errors means a well deserved win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Chuffed to see I got 4/4 in the tipping this week and might have been alone in this regard. But would never have picked the margins in the State High v TGS game or the TSS v BBC games. Home ground advantage shouldn't be worth that much!

BBC might need to bite the bullet and make some changes. They will beat TGS but I think play Nudgee after that and will get beaten again by 50 if they don't have different personnel.

What has happened to the Toowoomba boys?

Anyone got a match report from Grammar's win over Terrace?

BSHS vs TGS haven't seen the game so can't comment. Even after the floggings the previous 2 weeks I would have thought this game would have been a lot closer. There must be some other underlying issues, as things seemed to have gone off the rails. It will be interesting to see if they can turn things around, they may need to break the mould and break out of their comfort zone. The competition needs them to be competitive and they should be.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
After last nights debacle that article just shows up as an exemplar of everything that is wrong with Aus rugby.
Elitist, selfish and introspective.
What is so bad about those boys mentioned lifting the standard in their own comps
The cream will rise to the top and lift the whole game Auswide..if it's allowed to

They going to lift it on their own are they ?

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
They going to lift it on their own are they ?

Be heavy lifting.

Side note - BGS well done, good win on the weekend. Playing good basic rugby, impressive stuff.
Cannot wait for Nudgee TSS, should be a blockbuster!!
TGS they have the ability and the cattle, just need to change the culture a little I think.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
All depends if Nudgee's depth can keep the team afloat until reinforcements arrive back.

Five starters from last year (Robbins, Schostakoski, Manu, Sula-Sioasi and Flook) have missed First XV matches this season.

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)

GT V BGS - Another disappointing display from GT, but hats off to BGS they came to play and did their homework, although the scores were close at the final whistle GT were chasing the whole game and never looked like winning, the BGS up and in defence shutdown GT attack til late in the 2nd half when the game was effectively over and the BGS kicking game with the wind in the first half was smart football. Unfortunately GT have no kicking game on attack or even to exit this would have negated the defence they are actually playing without any smarts the halves are directionless and too many times passes were thrown to ground not to hand.
BGS played well standouts for me were #12 #9 who kept GT on the back foot and #8 who had a mighty game - the 8 is not the biggest #8 running around but he is quality alright.
GT are just not patient enough on attack and let themselves down with unforced errors i.e missing touch, missing penalty kicks, missing all conversions, the game plan is very basic with one off runners and for some reason the talented backline are not seeing enough ball. How disheartening it is when hot on attack a penalty gets awarded but kicker kicks it dead in goal (2 weeks in a row) stops all momentum.
It's almost a case of being out coached

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
GT V BGS
BGS played well standouts for me were #12 #9 who kept GT on the back foot and #8 who had a mighty game - the 8 is not the biggest #8 running around but he is quality alright.

Get a load of BGS #12 Daejarn Asi's statline from this game.

22 pts - two tries, two try-assists, two penalties and two conversions.

Three tackle busts, two linebreaks and 9/9 tackles.

Damn shame that his future is in Rugby League

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Just a random observation with a follow up question .........has there been a rule change that I don't know about where players don't need to come in through the gate anymore ?

It's not just now and again - at every level of Rugby its on like Donkey Kong with no consequences

At a schoolboy level I'm not sure whether some Coaches are encouraging their players to test it out as its not being called and they have twigged to it , or whether , the player themselves are just lazy and ignorant to the fact that they are cheating

It was fairly evident through the AIC season and its becoming an increasing trend in the GPS competition as well

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Just a random observation with a follow up question ...has there been a rule change that I don't know about where players don't need to come in through the gate anymore ?

It's not just now and again - at every level of Rugby its on like Donkey Kong with no consequences

At a schoolboy level I'm not sure whether some Coaches are encouraging their players to test it out as its not being called and they have twigged to it , or whether , the player themselves are just lazy and ignorant to the fact that they are cheating

It was fairly evident through the AIC season and its becoming an increasing trend in the GPS competition as well

Funny you should mention it GO, I was just thinking same over past couple of weeks and then particularly last weekend after watching school rugby and Colts GF.

At beginning of season in Colts and Grades the Refs were very tough on it and giving the team with ball in hand more control over ball. My thoughts were that then in last month especially watching GPS matches that the refs had relaxed the interpretation and I was also seeing that occur at the Colts level as well and it was completely changing the flow of the game to how it was months earlier. A few of the same refs do both GPS and Colts, especially over finals time.

I thought the senior grades refs were tougher and more consistent with the new rule.

TheRugbyGod

Stan Wickham (3)
Looks like state high has some very strong Junior age groups u15 A’s, u14 A’s and u13 A’s and sitting at the top of the table.

13A’s Undefeated averaging 33.25 points for and 1.4 points against.

14A’s Undefeated averaging 31 points for and 6.75 against

15A’s Tied first with one loss averaging 22 points for and 17.25

Will be interesting how these teams end up performing in the 1sts comp in a couple years.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
it's not really an even comp in 13s & 14s when BSHS offer rugby entry to around 15 players. To their credit they have been very successful in getting many of the QLD u12 league side in recent years. Other schools catch up by 15s & 16s; and the comps even out.

WW Bench

Bob McCowan (2)
TSS v Terrace.
TSS once again too big too strong, last week against BBC. Seriously this juggernaut is building momentum and I do expect that they will head into the final round without anyone really troubling them now. The hard work has been done they just have one more big game to put to bed at the very end of the season. This week they will meet Terrace. Unfortunately, another mauling in the shark tank is on the cards and the Cardinals will be as nervous as a nun at a penguin shoot stepping off the bus at Southport on Saturday and so they should be. TSS by 40

BBC v TGS
Oh no, TGS boys, I don’t know what has happened. I was one of your biggest supporters and I even had you beating TSS at one stage this year, I was sober, which makes it worse. I am afraid that the dream has been shattered and this season has started to fall apart faster than the old man’s wheat crop. I think you are better than your last three games, but you seem to have more issues than the "Crystal Healer" off The Bachelor..... jeezuz, so time to sort it out. The BSHS boys rumbled their way over them and word is they never looked like getting close. I am not sure what the issue is but you need to get cracking the BBC boys are perhaps a little vulnerable after their loss to TSS. I fear however BBC will make sure they are locked and loaded this weekend and will show the TGS boys little mercy. BBC by 20

Nudgee v BGS
OK, so my 2 favorite teams going up against each other this weekend. This is exactly like watching a jelly wrestling bout between Margot Robbie and Elle McPherson, don’t really care who wins just can't wait for the spectacle. Nudgee, however, is a class above and BGS whilst showing more grit than a pair of speedos full of sand, will just be overrun by the blue and white army. BGS is putting it together and they are building momentum and the school is starting to get wound up. For the sake of BGS rugby, I would love to see them win, however, Nudgee will have way too much style when it counts. Nudge by 20

Churchie v BSHS

On paper, the Vikings win. However, BSHS has some bloodlust going as they took care of TGS faster than they can strip a Commodore. No doubt the Churchie boys will be all too focused on the Liberal Party leadership spill, how dare they challenge Malcolm, and the BSHS boys will steal this win and probably a couple of other things from the computer lab when they leave, just for good measure. BSHS by 6

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Might be a wet track this weekend with rain showers forecast to arrive just before kick off in the 2nds.

TSS by 14
BBC by 16
Nudgee by 7
Churchie by 3

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
TSS by 40 ( Deliverance day for Terrace )

Nudgee by 30 ( Grammar's pluck is about to be f*!ked )

BBC by 20 ( Too big a Mountain to climb for the Hayseeds down in the Valley )

Churchie by 20 ( State High still think the breakdown is something the RACQ attends . Connor McKinlay to feast while the Churchie set piece beasts )

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
TSS v Terrace -Cant see GT stopping TSS - TSS 30
BBC v TGS - TGS just haven't fired - BBC 15
Nudgee v BGS - NC 24
Churchie v BSHS - Churchie by 17