• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just got back from a bloody good game at Ipswich where TSS beat IGS 48-31 (I think I remember right). TSS did it pretty hard to win this, a bloody good competitive game!

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Nc 47-BBC 12. NC forwards dominated, NC 10 completely outplayed his opposite. BBC have plenty coming back next year and have a very handy 16A team so next year could finally be their year. If NC get over Churchie next week crowd will be massive at Ross Oval for TSS game with potentially two grand finals in 1st’s and 2nd’s.

Full credit to NC today - ground em down and into the ground. BBC put on some big hits especially in first half,and NC just kept hanging in there.

Pasitoa all class and comprehensively dominated.

BBC back 3 looked good when they had a go but did not back themselves enough. Bowyer was rarely going anywhere near the line with ball in hand and was passing it early over to Gordon who defended well but apart from his first try masterpiece had a very average game in attack. Twice opting to kick for line and being called back because the ball was passed back in to him is ordinary football.

What a battle against TSS it will be.

Headgear

Bob McCowan (2)
Watched livestream IGS v TSS game, called a mate of mine from IGS, no fewer than seven U16 boys blooded today against the might of TSS. Courageous effort shown by a smaller back row against the biggest forward pack in the GPS system. IGS backline showed lots of talent today.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watched livestream IGS v TSS game, called a mate of mine from IGS, no fewer than seven U16 boys blooded today against the might of TSS. Courageous effort shown by a smaller back row against the biggest forward pack in the GPS system. IGS backline showed lots of talent today.

GT last week and now IGS have taken the gloss off TSS ... They’re not unbeatable, and in fact, based on what I saw on the live streams these past two weeks, littered with weak spots. I really thought after conceding 45 points TSS would really focus this week, but that didn’t happen. NC really are in the box seat for that final round.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
GT last week and now IGS have taken the gloss off TSS . They’re not unbeatable, and in fact, based on what I saw on the live streams these past two weeks, littered with weak spots. I really thought after conceding 45 points TSS would really focus this week, but that didn’t happen. NC really are in the box seat for that final round.

I agree TSS a very talented but flawed team and NC match up well,TSS will need to be very careful kicking the ball away to this team. NC should start very warm favourites IMO

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I agree TSS a very talented but flawed team and NC match up well,TSS will need to be very careful kicking the ball away to this team. NC should start very warm favourites IMO

Agree BnG NC consistent game n strong defence has them as my favourites also extremely well disciplined

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
NC has a danger game against Churchie before worrying about TSS. Clearly the dark horse of the comp with only one loss, results far out weighing expectation. NC beat them easily in a trial however there appears to be considerable improvement since then. Should be another great day of rugby at East Brisbane for old boys day. Both 1st and 2nds should be a cracker.

Headgear

Bob McCowan (2)
Got the rundown on IGS side. No.1 grade 11, No.2 grade 10, No.7 grade 11, No.9 grade 11, No.11 grade 10, No. 14 grade 10, No 15 grade 11, No. 20 grade 11, No. 21 grade 11 No.22 Grade 11.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
NC has a danger game against Churchie before worrying about TSS. Clearly the dark horse of the comp with only one loss, results far out weighing expectation. NC beat them easily in a trial however there appears to be considerable improvement since then. Should be another great day of rugby at East Brisbane for old boys day. Both 1st and 2nds should be a cracker.

Yes ACGS doing well above expectations but I’d be surprised if they get within 25 of NC. I do think they will account for BBC.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Nc 47-BBC 12. NC forwards dominated, NC 10 completely outplayed his opposite. BBC have plenty coming back next year and have a very handy 16A team so next year could finally be their year. If NC get over Churchie next week crowd will be massive at Ross Oval for TSS game with potentially two grand finals in 1st’s and 2nd’s.
Yeah - next 2 rounds are well set up for a big finish

BBC 16A’s were very very good yesterday against a strong Nudgee 16A team

Difference in the forwards where the BBC boys got on top and dictated terms

Despite yesterday’s disappointment in Firsts - next 2 years are looking pretty good at Toowong

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I believe BBC has 11 of the starting 15 returning next year. A very young team this year with plenty of upside. I have to agree with Garry the next two years are promising.
Did I hear correctly on double take that NC 10 is returning next year.

If so... That is frightening

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
There's quite a few first XVs this season littered with 16 year olds because you have the split year issue when Prep started coming to an end in the next few years. So it won't suddenly change for any school next year, not at all, except that TSS won't have an unusually higher number of 18 year olds, because almost all year 12 students will be 18. I wouldn't claim suddenly that any school will have a good year next year or the following year, because every school is in the same boat.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^ I think that will more likely be the following year in 2020 when it evens out (as 18 year olds finishing ) given a larger than normal number were held back in Prep/Schooling starts in 2007

2020 is the year where all the back half of the year guys that were held back will be turning 18

The 2019 finishing year will all be predominately 17 year olds as they are first half of the year born . Yes - there are some that were back half in the prior year that were held back - but again , smaller intake in 2007 with the split year means that smaller cohort are all ( in the main ) 17 year old school leavers

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Did I hear correctly on double take that NC 10 is returning next year.

If so. That is frightening

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yes well done to him on a terrific season so far . He has played a lot of his rep rugby at 12 and could end up mostly playing there in the future , but is the form 10 of the comp this year , improving from what was a very good 2017 . How good will he be in 2019 after a likely UK tour with Aussie Schools?

Any other 10s likely to challenge him next year ?

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think overall the BBC flyhalf has the brightest future (not to knock the others). He has a good boot and pass, is fearless in defense and with his height/body type has a lot more room to grow and muscle up than the NC or TSS options...who lets face it, won't get much taller.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think overall the BBC flyhalf has the brightest future (not to knock the others). He has a good boot and pass, is fearless in defense and with his height/body type has a lot more room to grow and muscle up than the NC or TSS options.who lets face it, won't get much taller.

Isn’t the NC 10 already 100kg+? How much more does he need to grow. Does height for a fly half really matter?

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Maybe, maybe not. He is tall and fairly slim and quick. By the time he is 20 he will hopefully have another 10kg of muscle and bulk without loosing too much speed and elusiveness. If your 100kg at 17 for a flyhalf any growth, unless upwards is not going to be that much benefit