• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
How many of that BSHS team are returning next year? The way the played reminded me of 2016's success. A pair of extremely brutal centres, an agile fullback who can carve up anyone, a couple of brutal front row ball carriers and a hard working backrow. Obviously Nesta Mahina was a standout for the forwards, but #6 was very very very good and Moses Jones looks to be a high quality 10 heading into next year. If they have enough returning, the could be dagnerous

Reactions: Fee

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
To go to State High you either live in the catchment area or apply for one of the many academic, cultural or sporting scholarships available.

From a rugby point of view if you make one of the U12Met teams and sit an interview you are just about there, doesn’t matter where you live . Can remember a few years ago one of my older boys getting a letter to make us “aware” of possible pathways to State High after playing in a junior rep carnival .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gee how long ago was that ...

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Some early predictions for Ross Oval next weekend
1st XV - early in the season I thought TSS would waltz it in, now I’m not so sure, gut feel says TSS will be too big, too strong however NC have outperformed, this should be a classic, hopefully a massive crowd comes along to enjoy result TSS by 8, expect their size will over whelm NC in last 5-10 mins similar to last year.
2xv - NC have been the best team all year NC by 12
16A - TSS undefeated and will remain so, NC too inconsistent in this age group.
15A -NC by 7 , well coached, very committed team NC by 9.
Should be an outstanding day of rugby hopefully a crowd of 5000 plus for NC old boys day.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
If Nesta Mahina is the 2 for BSHS he was outstanding. The 6 I didnt notice as outstanding and.if you didnt mention the redhead BSHS 13 you must be close to the 6 as in family or friend.. lol..

I did? I gave him a big wrap in comparing him to the 2016 centres? Please read

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
After a series of close games and upsets (for the punters) last week, this week wont be much easier. Lets have a crack:

IPPY v State High

State High will be on a "high" this week after their performance against a disappointing BBC; they played well and probably deserve to be favourites for this one. However, Ippy at home, may prove more difficult to remove then they think. I can't help thinking (reviewing in my mind) the game against TSS: if Ippy play like that they will win. Season fatigue may be their only nemesis. Ippy by 5 in a close one.

BBC v Churchie

Again Churchie played very well last week and BBC had a day they wish to forget. I think the the main point to take out of both games: Churchie, made a lot of schoolboy errors and just didn't have the cattle to match NC; whilst BBC were in a sole destroying Fursden Fields trance that said "let them win!" I think BBC will end the year on a high, they need to bring it all together for the last game. If they do, (they have the cattle, just need the will) they will win this one at home (you getting the theme here?). BBC by 10.

TGS v GT

If Fursden Fields were the nemesis of BBC, then TGS was the nemesis of all you punters last week! In a weekend of upsets, this week will be different and it will be back to "normal transmission". These two teams have been fairly inconsistent, given all the usual hype at the beginning of the season (at least from one of them). It will be the team that shows up and has that extra pizzazz will take this one. I think that will be Terrace (against my theme): Terrace by 14.

NC v TSS

You all have thought (early in the season) that TSS would waltz this season in, and perhaps they may. They have had more scares than NC, whom seem to be just a little more consistent. I hear that some say "TSS will be too big, too strong", however I disagree; this is NOT a 2017 repeat. With the number that have played Nationals and with a lot of representatives (both teams), the Nudgee boys will not be as intimidated by the scrum (and size) as perhaps they were last year.

However, they do need to concentrate on the set piece more than ever, as there needs to be a greater focus and concentration here: no line-outs where no-one jumps (like last week). The 2 will be important to drive the set-piece. Make sure that in the line-outs he takes his time and gets the call right (and everyone knows the call) and then delivers the throw; in the scrum make sure the front row is concentrating on the hit. Its a big task, but I'm sure he's up for it. Just takes "being in the moment" and concentrate for those moments.

I think more important than "being big and strong" it will be speed out wide and speed and strength at the break-down, that will be a more critical factor. And this is where I think Nudgee has the advantage. I think there are "holes" out-wide in the TSS defense, and I haven't overly impressed with the work at the breakdown (read TSS's back-row). Unlike last year, Nudgee has been able to defend the "pick and drive" by skill and physical presence; even the pick n drive experts (Churchie) weren't able to crack them! On this point, I would rather have a hard game (like Churchie) on 'stodgy" or soft ground then have the weekend off watching.

So much for all the theory (it's the execution that counts), ofc anything can happen, its schoolboy rugby, right! Oh yes back to my theme, TSS are not the best traveler's, not this year, not over time. If Nudgee pull all the elements together this could be a "blow-out" NC by 12.

Good luck to all teams playing

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Oh for those who are interested:

There are only two teams in GPS (for NC) that you take lightly at your peril: BSHS and Churchie.

For the loose State High you need to play as tight as a fish's ahole and drive them in the middle, drawing in their "sea-gulling" back row, before you think of going wide. You need to suck them in, control the ball and tire their forwards.

For Churchie, they are like an ant that you crush and then come "back to life" (you know the one's). So you need to put the "pedal to the metal" play to what you think is your strength and starve them of ball or pressure their ball; and don't stop till the funny-coloured uniform guy blows the final whistle.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah I’m with you Sage - I reckon it’s Nudgee to win it undefeated

They’ll take the 2nds and 16A’s games this weekend too

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So NC and TSS are obviously undefeated

But then we have

ACGS with 5 wins
BBC with 4 wins
BSHS with 3 wins
IGS with 2 wins
BGS with 2 wins
GT with 2 wins
TGS with 1 win

Hmmmm.

Nudgee over TSS - 1 and 2 respectively

BBC over ACGS ( if BBC can adjust ) for tied 3rd

BSHS over IGS for outright 5th

TGS with the win over GT for tied 7th

IGS and BGS sharing the spoon - but BGS claiming big spoon on better for and against

Some results obviously not as players and supporters would have liked but a season that was pretty close across the board with any team capable of causing an upset on the day

Well done to all

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
So NC and TSS are obviously undefeated

But then we have

ACGS with 5 wins
BBC with 4 wins
BSHS with 3 wins
IGS with 2 wins
BGS with 2 wins
GT with 2 wins
TGS with 1 win

Hmmmm.

Nudgee over TSS - 1 and 2 respectively

BBC over ACGS ( if BBC can adjust ) for tied 3rd

BSHS over IGS for outright 5th

TGS with the win over GT for tied 7th

IGS and BGS sharing the spoon - but BGS claiming big spoon on better for and against

Some results obviously not as players and supporters would have liked but a season that was pretty close across the board with any team capable of causing an upset on the day

Well done to all

Might need to rethink that I think you will find TGS are now on 2 wins and BGS on one win after last weekend.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Nudgee 15A v Churchie - uncontested scrums from the start of the game yet every other Under 15 team contested. NC made the late request on Friday afternoon apparently and then rolled out a pack of back rowers for the game. It's high time that the school Rugby Directors, Heads of Sport and Headmasters get their collective acts together and stop this gaming of the competition rules.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Nudgee 15A v Churchie - uncontested scrums from the start of the game yet every other Under 15 team contested. NC made the late request on Friday afternoon apparently and then rolled out a pack of back rowers for the game. It's high time that the school Rugby Directors, Heads of Sport and Headmasters get their collective acts together and stop this gaming of the competition rules.

U15A Terrace vs Ipswich was also uncontested the whole game on the weekend. Fully agree with your post though.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)

Couldn't agree more, if what you say is true. If the A & B teams can't maintain at least 6 props between them, say from u15's and over, then something needs to give! Of course in extraordinary circumstances the rules may be "bent" in the short-term (bent not broken). I suppose we do need to remember they are still schoolboys, however, how are they going to learn the skills unless they practice them?

In grade football this year, it is a worrying development that I have seen 2nd & 3rd grade and Colts 2 having uncontested scrums (not particularly worried about lower grades). Totally unacceptable and destroys the game, as it usually gives an unfair advantage to the "weaker" team.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
U15A Terrace vs Ipswich was also uncontested the whole game on the weekend. Fully agree with your post though.

Due to GT's well documented immersion program they was missing over half of it U15 cohort and some of its U16.

By my calculations GT was missing up to 6 or 8 of its 15A's on Saturday, which would have lead to the uncontested scrums.

I must say some of the promoted boys played extremely well and to my eye better than some of the missing boys over the past few weeks.

BAG

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The scrums dead set need reform or some kind of system preventing the pure gaming of the rules for uncontested scrums.

I have refereed lower grade GPS games for 7 years now and the practice is getting worse over time and is probably deliberate.. This year I have reffed probably 15/16 games (B/C/D) of which just 3 have had contested scrums.

By the way, some of these teams have been of pretty decent quality - teams that can lift players to catch kick offs, have well executed and deliberate patterns of play, know the rules, know when to jackal, when to pass... Yet when asked to scrum they say they have no props capable?? OTher teams that play props then have to watch as a bunch of mobile backrowers relentlessly ping the ball around like its rugby 7s.

The TSS NC final should be great, I think I'll head along. TSS attack probably going to be too good though, they have shown themselves to be able to go up a level when required. Sure, they've had scares but they won't lapse against NC.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ No question marks about the TSS attack , just their defence.

In the last 2 games they have played they were committing small numbers to the breakdown , with players either looking for ball running opportunities in attack or filling in the line in defence rather than securing the breakdown. NC will take them on through the middle and TSS will need to commit numbers . Could open up space for NC out wide , especially in the 13 channel where TSS have leaked some serious points in their last 2 outings. The running lines of Flook into that said channel are second to none.

Should be a cracking game, good luck to both teams.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe a factor no one is taking into account is the recent spate of spinal injuries and concerned parents ( and players ) having some impact in available persons for the front row

I'm not saying it is the case but it may be a factor

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Getwithme re BSHS

I count 8 returning U16 players and probably another 2 to 3 from their current U16 team , so , they will need to rely on 14 to 15 U16 players next year and pray for no injuries as their Seconds and 16A's next year don't project to be that good ( if at least 8 to 9 of them are starting )

BSHS's U15 , U14 , U13 and even the U12 A teams seem to be wiping the floor with everybody ( U14 to U12 undefeated ) but they play IGS in the last round which will be interesting with IGS ( as always ) very strong in the under age groups - with they and BSHS always owning the early muscle

Interesting that all BGS A teams down to the U13's only had 1 win this year ( 13's had 2 ) and I don't think the 12's won a game

TGS seems a train wreck down the line with the majority of A Teams from U15 and down with 1 or no wins for the season and their Firsts looking like a wooden spoon recipient and their 16's going 50/50

Churchie seem to have 2 x strong back to back years emerging in U12 and U13 with both teams toward the top end of their competition

TheRugbyGod

Stan Wickham (3)
How many of that BSHS team are returning next year? The way the played reminded me of 2016's success. A pair of extremely brutal centres, an agile fullback who can carve up anyone, a couple of brutal front row ball carriers and a hard working backrow. Obviously Nesta Mahina was a standout for the forwards, but #6 was very very very good and Moses Jones looks to be a high quality 10 heading into next year. If they have enough returning, the could be dagnerous

State High will have about 8-9 players returning for next season, with a couple new boys expected to be joining.