• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it shows how professional they are doesn't it. The Reds can give these guys 'contact us' contracts where they have to speak to the Reds if they get an offer from elsewhere while these guys are given a couple hundred bucks and it makes a difference.

I think it shows how many professional teams they have rather than how professional they are.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Yep , plenty offered , not that many make it through to NRL.

There was talk of limiting the junior contracts a few years back due to the mental health concerns of exactly that, not sure what the outcome was .

A lot can change between 14 and 18.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
^ Yep , plenty offered , not that many make it through to NRL.

There was talk of limiting the junior contracts a few years back due to the mental health concerns of exactly that, not sure what the outcome was .

A lot can change between 14 and 18.

Agreed many a 14 y/o superstar is fully developed and look fantastic and when the rest of the boys catch up they fall away.

It actually speaks to the larger problems of selection of size over skill.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Actually I'm wrong as the Academy/U18 teams make up part of the selection process for the Aust Schools and U18 team so they are supporting the pathway and should be rewarded with selection.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Good for Terrace . The appointment of Coach and Director of Sport is a good thing

I still only have them for 3 wins for the season but they seem to have started a positive re-direction that should work well in time

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
What I would love to see at GT is the First XV coach having closer eye on the progression of players coming through the school and the positional requirements/ short fallings of future years.

As a quick example , last year saw a young fella from year 11 as the second choice No2 behind Hudson Mulchay, he played the first game of the season against BBC with Hudson out due to injury, then spent the rest of the season playing in the back row for the U16a's. Don't think his future development as the second best 2 in the school was done any favours by playing a season of back row. If you move across to who plays 10 this year, the discussion should have been happening 2 years ago.

Tricky for an external coach to be all over this, but needs to be handled better than it has.

Think Ryan will be a real asset to Terrace rugby, hopefully all get behind him.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
What I would love to see at GT is the First XV coach having closer eye on the progression of players coming through the school and the positional requirements/ short fallings of future years.

As a quick example , last year saw a young fella from year 11 as the second choice No2 behind Hudson Mulchay, he played the first game of the season against BBC with Hudson out due to injury, then spent the rest of the season playing in the back row for the U16a's. Don't think his future development as the second best 2 in the school was done any favours by playing a season of back row. If you move across to who plays 10 this year, the discussion should have been happening 2 years ago.

Tricky for an external coach to be all over this, but needs to be handled better than it has.

Think Ryan will be a real asset to Terrace rugby, hopefully all get behind him.

I think some flexibility in thinking and planning is needed in these things

A lot can change from year to year and the danger is becoming too wedded to a prior way of thinking which can get in the way of current best outcomes - if you are about a performance culture

This is a big part of the issue, more broadly , in junior pathway development.

I mean .....if you want to drill into the example you gave more specifically the question should really be asked if 2 is the best spot for him. If there was diligence in the program and they were paying attention to their A/B boys development at School and Club then they should have known this lad was probably more a natural No 7 but was arguably dislocated from his true natural position because of other preferences at School and Club - where those prior preferences at the spot at School and Club are now nowhere to be seen around that spot. Consequently, in order to look at opportunity elsewhere the kid has thickened up to play 2 which has taken away from some natural speed he had and where his leaning was more toward a chasing on ball player and work rate defender. And I'm not sure he has or will really develop as a top line 2 despite the slim pickings at the position for the age group, therefore, IMO , this individual case is a really good example of lazy ( or no ) due diligence in junior player development that ultimately leads to a poorer outcome for player , school and pathway asset management generally