• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
That top of the hill. Didn’t think you were getting any dollars for rugby scholarships up the range? Good to see. Names? Always curious to see what next year will bring to our GPS comp. Good new recruitments keep us spectators interested.
Still curious about the tss recruitments. No one is talking.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
That top of the hill. Didn’t think you were getting any dollars for rugby scholarships up the range? Good to see. Names? Always curious to see what next year will bring to our GPS comp. Good new recruit's keep us spectators interested.
Still curious about the tss recruitments. No one is talking.

No Names just what I have heard. I believe the 10 is a league 5/8 with a very good boot so could end up playing anywhere. The school seems to have a bit of a influx of "New Boys" every 2 years which is next year. On the question of scholarships there are a lot of "Smoke and Mirrors" They always seem to have a few boys on full Scholarships and quite a few on part Scholarships and I would reasonably comfortable is saying the numbers are in the teens. In saying that there not all called Ruby Scholarships but its pretty obvious why they are there. There is also the odd player there just because they want to be part of the program and are not getting anything. I guess like all the schools not all kids make it that are bought in. They seem to have a very good success rate on bringing on good players with boys they have made themselves, kids that have been there from say grade 8.

The performance of their 1st 15 over the last couple of years i believe would not be a fair reflection on the rugby program, there has been a lot of side issue's with this team which badly reflects back to the coaches because they are things that could have and should have been rectified, but enough said. One only has to look at the performance of 2nds, 3rds etc to know that things there are not to bad.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
No Names just what I have heard. I believe the 10 is a league 5/8 with a very good boot so could end up playing anywhere. The school seems to have a bit of a influx of "New Boys" every 2 years which is next year. On the question of scholarships there are a lot of "Smoke and Mirrors" They always seem to have a few boys on full Scholarships and quite a few on part Scholarships and I would reasonably comfortable is saying the numbers are in the teens. In saying that there not all called Ruby Scholarships but its pretty obvious why they are there. There is also the odd player there just because they want to be part of the program and are not getting anything. I guess like all the schools not all kids make it that are bought in. They seem to have a very good success rate on bringing on good players with boys they have made themselves, kids that have been there from say grade 8.

The performance of their 1st 15 over the last couple of years i believe would not be a fair reflection on the rugby program, there has been a lot of side issue's with this team which badly reflects back to the coaches because they are things that could have and should have been rectified, but enough said. One only has to look at the performance of 2nds, 3rds etc to know that things there are not to bad.
I was impressed with the performance of the Toowoomba A and B teams in under 14s in 2018. There is talent there and appeared to be well coached.

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some questions...

Who has a run down of coaching coaching line ups for 2019?

Have the GPS 1, GPS 2, AIC formats confirmed as no longer in existence? Can anyone confirm the new format? i.e Met North, East etc?

Who has secured "New boys" for the 2019 competition? Any genuine repeaters?

Can anyone stop Nudgee in 2019?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Don’t know about coaching.

QSRFU State Championships going ahead on May 2nd at Sunnybank but don’t believe it has the support of GPS or AIC Schools. Would seem main intent and preference is to provide viewing access for non GPS and AIC players . There is still intended to be a National Schools championship in the middle of the year with two QLD Schools team going . This being quite seperate from the Reds U18 Academy program bearing in mind that the QSRFU are a seperate body and continuing to run their own show.

It is proposed TSS host a day of trials in mid May as they did last year, from which , GPS 1 and 2 teams were selected . Those teams won’t be selected this year , however , that day of trials will give visibility for Reds personnel to consider additions and / or subtractions to their U18 Academy. The three groupings of teams for “ pool games” have already been proposed for this Saturday

There is a festival of Rugby concept proposed for the Saturday of Queens birthday weekend at Gregory Terrace where there would be a match up of five games comprising the nine GPS schools and a composite AIC Team to play TSS. Other games would be Nudgee and Terrace , BBC and Churchie , IGS and State High , and BGS v TGS

It is further proposed that a Reds U18 team will play a Waratahs U18 team in mid to late September this year at Suncorp. In eligibility this will comprise a significant number of players who finished school last year and do not turn 19 until 2020 and no doubt would be playing Premier Colts or Grade this season .

Additionally , a Brisbane GPS Schools team would play a NSW AAGPS Schools Team as the curtain raiser to that game . It is thought that team would be selected after Round 7 of this year’s season competition.

Naturally, things may change but this is what the outline currently looks like

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
As to your question about anyone being capable of stopping Nudgee , TSS square off against them in Round 1 at TSS.

It looks like the biggest test of both Team’s seasons right out of the gate

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The QSRFU State Champs at Sunnybank is the same format as previous years in that it involves boys from all over the state not at a GPS or AIC school. It has been previously used to select the Combined Secondary Schools team that then has played against the GPS & AIC teams at the Qld Schoolboys trials traditionally held in the last few days of term 2 before announcement of the Qld Schoolboys.

It will be interesting to see how they incorporate the lads who are U18 but have finished school into the trial process for both the State and National teams moving forward , seeing that seems the way in appears to be headed.

The addition of the four U18 boys into the Aussie Schools & U18 team that toured Ireland and Scotland last year should be deemed a success , with the 7 & 8 in particular being among the best performed on the tour. When you consider how many boys we have up here in Qld that are still U18 in their first year out of school , you could just about pick an U18 non schoolboys/academy team to trial against the GPS, AIC and CSS teams. Would be good to see them all play against one another in a trial format , rather than just a few U18s added in later. That would require a level of cooperation and possible compromise across quite a few associations that might prove a little too much this early in the transition of the Schoolboys teams into U18 teams.

In relation to who can prevent a Nudgee threepeat , as DM mentioned Rd 1 on the GC could be an early GF, but think BBC and possibly IGS could also give them a shake. Fair to say though, that with Pasitoa and Vella only starting year 12 this year, NC certainly will have the belief that they can win it again.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
No one should be counting State High out. They will contend. Maybe not as favourites but they are there with Ipswich Grammar who they play in Round 1 at Home.

They then host Nudgee at Home in Round 2 .

These three match ups in the first two rounds of the season ;

• TSS v Nudgee ( Round 1 )
  • State High v IGS ( Round 1 )
  • State High v Nudgee ( Round 2 )
Will really cast the dye of the season

• Nudgee v Terrace ( Round 3 )
  • TSS v State High ( Round 3 )
Will also have impact

If Nudgee can make it through these three challenges in the first three weeks , two of which are away , they are well set up for the remainder of the season.

They do have a TSS transfer , however , the previously suggested New Zealand additions have not arrived.Yet

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
No one should be counting State High out. They will contend. Maybe not as favourites but they are there with Ipswich Grammar who they play in Round 1 at Home.

They then host Nudgee at Home in Round 2 .

These three match ups in the first two rounds of the season ;

• TSS v Nudgee ( Round 1 )
  • State High v IGS ( Round 1 )
  • State High v Nudgee ( Round 2 )
Will really cast the dye of the season

• Nudgee v Terrace ( Round 3 )
  • TSS v State High ( Round 3 )
Will also have impact

If Nudgee can make it through these three challenges in the first three weeks , two of which are away , they are well set up for the remainder of the season.

They do have a TSS transfer , however , the previously suggested New Zealand additions have not arrived.Yet

Really no BBC at all - BBC should be in the top 2 or 3 in the betting line for sure - plenty back form last year and the best all round talent in the 17's age group.

2019 has always been BBC's title to loose - come on 'the Green, White and Black' time to start talking it up ;-)

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Don't know whether it will pan out this way but the ASRU had intended to hold the 16 - 18 National Championships in Riverview from 8th June , and from there , an ASRU "Test" v Samoan Schools in the September School Holidays

Meanwhile there is supposed to be a Reds U18 Camp that commences on June 24 in readiness for a game v Rebels U18 on June 30 , and then , another Camp on September 17th for a September 22nd game v the Waratahs U18's

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Really no BBC at all - BBC should be in the top 2 or 3 in the betting line for sure - plenty back form last year and the best all round talent in the 17's age group.

2019 has always been BBC's title to loose - come on 'the Green, White and Black' time to start talking it up ;-)

No exclusion at all for The Pipers and of course they will be amongst it with the other schools mentioned. Was just pointing out the challenges of the draw and that some schools probably have a slight advantage over others with some of the marquee match ups happening early in the season . If Nudgee slog through the start they are looking good

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
As to your question about anyone being capable of stopping Nudgee , TSS square off against them in Round 1 at TSS.

It looks like the biggest test of both Team’s seasons right out of the gate
“The best teacher is experience and not through someone’s distorted point of view “

G

GingerBreadCrab

There was a younger lad who got a couple of starts at 10 for them last year and is back this year. Thought I remember something about him being Quade’s younger brother? Or I could have that story completely wrong .

I think you've got that right. Last year's exposure to some 1st XV rugby will have matured him somewhat, but what I saw from State High last year was less than inspiring.

FWIW, the GPS letter that was issued today regarding RA's report into player injury this season was underwhelming. For those that know, there are a few key issues not being spoken about that really should be. Just for one, the introduction of a "Front-row Passport" does nothing if coaches tasked with educating the kids on scrummaging are terrible themselves.

G

GingerBreadCrab

Ginger Bread Crab - am sure someone outed you as a BBC supporter many posts ago, and the BBC v BSHS footage certainly did not illustrate the BBC 10 was performing above the BSHS 10 in the BBC v BSHS at Fursden Rd in 2018, which was played out in the result.
If BSHS were underwhelming in 2018 look forward to the match up in the final round of the GPS competition for 2019, many years in the making, lots of friendships and comraderie built along the way with the players which transcends the rivalry proposed on this forum.

If they did, they got it wrong. :p I'm a Nudgee man. I don't consider anyone knowing where my heart lies as being "outed".
My opinions are shaped upon watching the GPS competition as a whole, not on one particular game. Also, they're kids playing a wonderful game, so no-one should ever throw too much shade at them.
Carter was a wonderful First XV fly-half for BBC, Pasitoa has been and hopefully will continue to be a wonderful First XV fly-half for NC and I would be delighted if the BSHS 10 went on to do the same.
I do think you need a stable 10 that's able to operate as a kicker, pivot, a distributor and a runner (and have self-belief in all four of those aspects) to win a premiership - that's been proven over the last decade.

For clarification, I said the rugby being played across the State High program last year was uninspiring. Not just the performance of whoever was playing 10 at the time. I would never heap shit on a kid like that. Unfortunately, I've actually had that done to me on GAGR many moons ago. Never pleasant.
In fact, when NC played State High, Moses stood out as a potential game changer and was really elusive.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
^ Well said.
Nudge will have the edge this year. With our 2 Aus reps returning, a couple of lads returning from injury and the couple of the younger lads from last year playing 1st for their second year, I see our boys as unstoppable. Ipswich will be tough. BBC and TSS will be good but not good enough. BBC will struggle in defence. Last year Gordon was the only one that could tackle. TSS will struggle moving the ball forward without a good kicker unless their new 10 has the goods. Round 1 will provide good insight to how the season plays out. GT might pull it together in 2019. I watched the U15 Nudgee vs GT last year, and there were a few fast and tough lads in the GT team. David Vaihu looked like he should have been playing in the 1st. BSHS didn’t show anything special in 2018. And Stan Walker 33 your comment about Moses outplaying Gordon is just ridiculous. I didn’t watch the game on the day but had reports and saw some footage. I see BSHS, TGS and Grammar fighting out the bottom 3.

terry from Townsville

Allen Oxlade (6)
First fives are your team’s general but it’s hard for your general to win a battle if you don’t win the hard fought yards at close range. So too in Rugby it’s won upfront first

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Too right. That is going to make this years comp interesting. Nudge has Vella and TSS has Zane leading the troops up front. IGS and BBC have consistency and an even weighted pack both physically and skill level. It’s going to be who likes the try line more.