• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone know how the BSHS v Nudgee trial went on Friday night.
Not a bad game. All 40 boys pumped up under lights. Good crowd. IMO Nudgee were good, especially without Pasitoa and Vella. A lot to like about them. Speed was unbelievable. BSH were gallant but never looked in control. The 1 and 10 were very good of the back of some good service by 9. I’m not sure if they had players out, so in saying that I can’t see them being threatening. I think if your going to beat Nudgee it will be through the centres. Not much size there going on last night. They did have a PNG boy come on late who looked solid but yeah that’s an area I would be targeting. The forwards held there own but will be interesting to see how they go against a bigger pack. Best for me were 7,11,15 and the 10 that filled in looked handy. Just need to learn to exit. Great game and well done to all involved.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The Nudge played well considering we were missing our strong players. Controlled the game really well. I think it is safe to say that BSHS won’t be a threat at the top end of ladder. I like their 15 and 10. I don’t believe they had their full strength forwards on, so this could change the dynamics heading into Round 1.

S

Sgt Slaughter

NC did a good job last night - 7 is a very handy player

Number 3 did a great job bagging BSHS only 2 tries one from 30m run another from his charge down - disagree about the 10 and 15, the 15 came off in the first 5 minutes and the 10 bombed at least 3 tries.

BSHS struggling for depth with so many injured players out - not sure why the coach is going to Yr10 and Yr11 players without explouring all his Yr12 options. In saying that the young guns didn’t back done from the challenge.

If BSHS 6,7,8 and 12,13 dont make it on the paddock soon it’s going to be a long season.

Staying loyal BSHS for the Win #BlueRedBlue

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Will be at Tennyson tomorrow to check out the BBC v GT game. I'm tipping Terrace forwards to terrorise the massive but apparent slow pack of BBC.

What time is that game? Will be interested to see how both teams are tracking depending on how strong a team each decide to field- seems to be a lot of fixing and key player protection going on.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Had to come up the Highway for. Tennis so I dropped in at Tennyson on way home .
BBC won 6 or 5 tries to 2
GT tries were against run of play - one off a kick charge - the other off s dropped pass .
BBC 5 and 8 were best players on paddock .12 also good .
GT best were left wing and 13
GT forwards ran out of puff big time .
I was a little disappointed in the much hyped BBC backline - but they may have had players out .They missed Savage .
Cannot see either team troubling TSS

rocketman

Frank Row (1)
Had to come up the Highway for. Tennis so I dropped in at Tennyson on way home .
BBC won 6 or 5 tries to 2
GT tries were against run of play - one off a kick charge - the other off s dropped pass .
BBC 5 and 8 were best players on paddock .12 also good .
GT best were left wing and 13
GT forwards ran out of puff big time .
I was a little disappointed in the much hyped BBC backline - but they may have had players out .They missed Savage .
Cannot see either team troubling TSS

BBC will get better with players still to return and players playing out of psition. Like you Thought the BBC 8 was a standout as were 10 and 12, BBC forwards lifted their physicality in the 2nd half that GT just couldnt keep up. BBC have too much quality this was a good win with 5 well taken tries they won in a canter, BBC defended well to keep GT out in the early exchanges although GT Fullback scored a great solo try and as did GT wing but they will not win games from solo efforts and basic errors
All round lots of improvement needed from both teams more so GT

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can any BBC supporters clarify what’s happening in the lower grades? Apparently only 2 U15 teams, only 2 U14 teams (just), 2 U13 teams but no A team. And only one U12 team.

Any truth to that?

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Can any BBC supporters clarify what’s happening in the lower grades? Apparently only 2 U15 teams, only 2 U14 teams (just), 2 U13 teams but no A team. And only one U12 team.

Any truth to that?

Word on the street is that BBC have applied to the GPS to not field a team in the 13A comp. That sets a very ugly precedent and it's doubtful that would ever be allowed to happen - one would hope at least. Seems the cheque book no longer gets opened at BBC to bolster their sporting program? That said, 5 or so boys are currently being interviewed to commence next term...
BGS are also said to have a weak 13s group.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Word on the street is that BBC have applied to the GPS to not field a team in the 13A comp. That sets a very ugly precedent and it's doubtful that would ever be allowed to happen - one would hope at least. Seems the cheque book no longer gets opened at BBC to bolster their sporting program? That said, 5 or so boys are currently being interviewed to commence next term.
BGS are also said to have a weak 13s group.
Yep Churchie 13a’s ran in 15 unanswered tries over BGS yesterday .

GT 13b’s played out a draw (+\- a convertion ) with the BBC 13a’s yesterday .

Could mean a 13a’s comp with only 6 rounds of footy , not good for the comp moving forward.

Will Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep Churchie 13a’s ran in 15 unanswered trys over BGS yesterday .

GT 13b’s played out a draw (+\- a convertion ) with the BBC 13a’s yesterday .

Could mean a 13a’s comp with only 6 rounds of footy , not good for the comp moving forward.

Would be a real shame for those other schools that can field a team in that comp to not be able to face all of the remaining 8 teams. BBC and BGS need to step up in that demand.

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
New headmaster at BBC. Not big into sport and rumour is that scholarships have stopped. This has coincided with competition for students from Ambrose Treacy College now a viable option for students/rugby players in the same catchment. Real lack of depth in the under 11-13 with only two teams in each age group.

Will Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
New headmaster at BBC. Not big into sport and rumour is that scholarships have stopped. This has coincided with competition for students from Ambrose Treacy College now a viable option for students/rugby players in the same catchment. Real lack of depth in the under 11-13 with only two teams in each age group.

I think that schools like BBC need to stop relying on those scholarships in the younger age groups and start attracting kids taht are interested in playing a fun sports with their mates.

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think that schools like BBC need to stop relying on those scholarships in the younger age groups and start attracting kids taht are interested in playing a fun sports with their mates.
I think this is actually a wider Rugby issue, numbers are down at local club level from what I have seen, not much inspiration for kids to play rugby looking at wallabies or super rugby in recent years. Schools like BBC need to do more to compete but plenty of schools still going hard at the scholarship programs.

Will Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
I think this is actually a wider Rugby issue, numbers are down at local club level from what I have seen, not much inspiration for kids to play rugby looking at wallabies or super rugby in recent years. Schools like BBC need to do more to compete but plenty of schools still going hard at the scholarship programs.

I do agree with you, but say for example other GPS schools like Churchie are still putting up competititve teams in all competitions that do not feature any specific boys on rugby scholarships.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Will Jackson .

At $25K per compared to $12K ( tops ) in non GPS schools .....or for nix at BSHS , or $15K per at Cath Ed subsidised GPS Schools

Yeah ......

Nah

The reality is Rugby at National and State levels have moved swiftly to deconstruct GPS Schools Rugby in the last 2 years in particular and there is no advantage for the higher aspirational type to be there .

If you want to just play with your mates for the fun of it in "like for like" type competition this is what is driving the push with what you are seeing at U13 level and down , which is fine - if everyone is doing it .

Within 3 to 5 years the Brisbane GPS Schools Rugby competition - what has arguably been the consistently best Schoolboy Rugby competition is Australia for the last 10 to 15 years - will look a lot like the Sydney AAGPS Rugby competition with 2 or 3 Schools seemingly headed in the direction of Sydney High and Grammar

It is already happening in an unfortunate confluence of the wilful deconstruct and de-emphasis of this prospect pool from the Game's Administrators and some School's Administrators as they chase the higher coin in the International School model.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts in its current format

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyway ....re : the Terrace and BBC match up on the weekend I wouldn't say that BBC did it in a canter at all ( as was suggested by a previous poster )

Terrace were very willing in the early going with their 3 ( especially ) their 1 and their 11 and 13 leading the way. Undoubtedly the best 4 players they had out there on Saturday. They have pretty good willingness and same - same type players through their Firsts and Seconds with I reckon maybe up to about a 4 or 5 guys in their Seconds easily being able to replace the guy in front of him where it wouldn't really matter

I think the score was 2 tries 1 at half time but where the tries didn't come until the last 10m of the First Half ?

BBC probably dominated about 60% possession throughout the game - maybe even 65% . That's a shitload of ball - and is really a compliment to Terrace's doggedness to stay in the game for as long as they did given that it was still only 3 tries to 2 with 15m remaining .With that weight of possession and 3 tries 2 with 15m remaining should it raise an eyebrow ? Maybe not for now as combinations are still being tinkered with

Yeah 8 played well for BBC but 1 in his first full game of the trial season was exceptionally busy and played very well.

I'd like to see the GT 11 at 12 with his older bro at 13 and throw 10 on the wing with KVB when he comes back - leave the current 15 in place . 9 to 10 and bring the 9 from the seconds up who is a legit starting quality starting 9 . You just have to get the DV closer to the ball and more involved and get finishing opportunities for GV and Pat and even KVB and Han Siolo

Giving up 4 of your lineouts would be disappointing . 3, 1 and 8 were best . 5 tries hard . A lot more is needed from the rest of the forward pack if they are going to trouble anybody

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
The unfortunate serious injuries sustained last year in school rugby probably has had an effect on participation particularly in the younger age groups.