• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Half back Crisis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
McKibbin will be fine I think. He's played a lot of club footy, he's the Brothers captain, so he has maturity. He has toured with the Reds and played at Saracens. He'll underplay his hand but at last we'll have a gun goal kicker.

The question is, who will be back up?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez we're showing our depth aren't we? Tahs are short on props and now hookers with Freier gone, and there is no-one in club footy seasoned enough to step up at the moment down here at least.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't think I am too worried at the moment, McKibbin should be a decent stop gap. Hopefully.

They were saying that Lucas' injury is 3 - 4 weeks. Rib carteliges are damn painful and there's not much you can do about it but rest. But with 2 weeks off, they will be very tempted to give him a needle to get him over the line, so Lucas being back in 2- 3 weeks instead of 3 - 4 is a very big possibility, especially simply having him on the bench.

I wouldn't expect an SOS to anyone when they have what looks like suitable cover...

F

formeropenside

There's some talk on Foxsports that Chris Whitaker make come back for a 1-2 week cameo, getting a brief release from Leinster.

I'd rather get Berry, myself, but its interesting.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whitaker would be a lovely poach - provide the NSW people with a lot of amusement for a long time.

Can anyone imagine the Tahs poaching Cordingley if Burgess and Sheehan fell under a bus? No? Hang on, he is from NSW.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well its officially a crises.

suspended for 4 weeks, so 3 games.

I guess we still have to hear about Lucas, but that's 2-4 apparently.

T

TOCC

fuck fuck fuck.... yeah i expected him to be gone for 1 game at least, but 3?

thats such a crock of shit

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
even better. I am pretty sure Mosese Raulini was coming back to play lower grade at Easts this year? Best halfback at the RWC in 07 I reckon!

S

Spook

Noddy said:
even better. I am pretty sure Mosese Raulini was coming back to play lower grade at Easts this year? Best halfback at the RWC in 07 I reckon!

I think he's injured Nod.

R

rugbywhisperer

Get Swanepoel back from the Farce, there is always Luke Evans (unless you need tackles made) :fishing :lmao:

F

formeropenside

rugbywhisperer said:
Get Swanepoel back from the Farce, there is always Luke Evans (unless you need tackles made) :fishing :lmao:

When did we lose Swanepoel to the Farce?

F

formeropenside

A FOUR-week suspension last night for Reds spark Will Genia has triggered an SOS for third-string squad halfback Brendan McKibbin.

McKibbin is needed for a Super 14 debut against the Waikato Chiefs on March 28.
Genia will miss key matches against the Chiefs, Western Force (April 3) and Otago Highlanders (April 11) after being found guilty of a dangerous, up-ending tackle on Sharks flanker Keegan Daniel in the second half of last Saturday night's rousing 25-13 victory at Suncorp Stadium.

"We're extremely disappointed with the outcome. We're considering our options," Reds coach Phil Mooney said.

Brisbane barrister Mark Martin, Mooney and Reds team manager Brendan Morris flanked halfback Genia when he appeared in front of SANZAR judicial officer Paul Tully at Ballymore.

Video footage of the spearing 2006 tackle which earned Wallaby great George Gregan just a one-game ban was used as part of Genia's defence for a lighter suspension during the two-hour hearing.

An initial six-week sentence was reduced to four because of Genia's blemish-free record over three seasons for Queensland and his junior rugby career.

Although he has started just once in five games, Genia's sticky-fingered hands and slick pass have invariably given the Reds an extra gear when he has run on.

That's on top of his two flick-pass gems to send Digby Ioane over for tries.

He will be sorely missed.

McKibbin, 23, is confident he can answer whatever call comes against the Chiefs. He could even become a shock starter, rather than bench back-up, because top-choice Reds halfback Ben Lucas (ribs) is only touch-and-go to be fit.

"I've been training with the Reds since the pre-season camp (at Casuarina Beach) in January so I'm familiar with the style of play and structures if the team needs me," said McKibbin, who was on-field with the Reds yesterday.

"I'm ready."

Upbeat news late yesterday was the re-signing of bullocking No. 8 Leroy Houston for 2010-11.

It was a strong show of Houston's character to repay the faith that Queensland showed in him in mid-2007 when they signed him as an overweight park footballer who had dropped out of the NSW system.

McKibbin has a career-best 2008 club season for Brothers behind him plus a short-term off-season stint with English club Saracens and positive lead-up rugby in four Reds Academy clashes.

He skippered Brothers to the 2004 Colts premiership and started his grade career as a flanker the following season before realising his physical shortcomings.

"My size and the fact David Croft was playing flanker for Brothers at the time pushed me into the decision to try halfback. I've been learning ever since," McKibbin said.

He plays like a ninth forward at times with his involved, scheming style and has worked tirelessly at sharpening any halfback's main asset ? a quick, consistent pass.

He also offers accurate goalkicking, having scored 261 points for Brothers last year.

Interesting background on McKibbin - a former openside, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.