• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Colts 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Riley Thompson

Brothers
Prem Colts Lost 40-7

Colts 1 Lost 33-28

Colts 2 Lost 35-20.

Brothers ran out with a very young team with not many players from last year remaining except a prop called Jed. Seems Jack Bridges is at brothers but no other notable characters there this year. Sunny bank seemed to be a very large, dominate and physical side that trumped brothers almost everywhere and dominated them in the scrums untill reserves at about 20 minutes to go came on and started to hold the banks weight. Early days but some readjustment to the team needs to be done

Dancin_Digby

Bob McCowan (2)
Brothers v Uni should be a good watch this weekend. Brothers have a young team with plenty of talent, should be good to see them with a game under their belts. You would expect Uni to be all class, so could be worthwhile heading down to crosby road for this one

Dancin_Digby

Bob McCowan (2)
Uni got up over brothers roughly 31-5 in prem colts, not certain over that scoreline. Quite an even game even though the scoreline suggests otherwise, 5-5 leading up to half time. brothers were much improved from their last start against sunnybank, however their set piece was extremely poor, lineouts in particular. uni were resting some guns and had a few injuries but still fielded an impressive side but lacked discipline at key moments, but ultimately proved too strong in the heat. the fullback and 5/8 were impressive for uni, while the brothers prop was hard all day and wingers tobin & mead were very lively, showing skill and pace.

also heard that easts got up over souths in prem colts

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So with the season kicking off on Saturday what are peoples thoughts about the season ahead? Will it be a case of Colts reflecting the fortunes of the Premier teams or are there some clubs who have focused on developing their Colts program for the future of the Club?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I watched Norths Premier Colts team play a few games and they look very sharp. I would suggest top 4 position is very likely. For the first tiem in years their seems to be a large turn out from both nudgee and St. Pats.

I watched norths beat wests by 20 something points. Score did not reflect the game however i spoke to the wests coahc afterwards and he said that injuires and sickness had left them short on the day but with what he classififed an experimental team they managed to hold norths to 7-0 till the last 20 minutes where lack fresh subs really undermine them. judging by wha ti gathered was most a second string side i can seem them pushing for 5/6 an improvement on last year but lack the big guns to take them all the way

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Over the last few weeks I have watched the UNI - Brothers -Sunnybank- GPS suite of trials and there is a evenness of quality across Uni, Sunnybank and GPS such that I expect all three to repeat their final appearances of last year. The margins in the trials Uni played against Sunnybank (lost) and GPS (won) have been a try or two ; Brothers appear to lack the same quality, at this stage, being monstered in the forewards by Uni and being run around in the backs and loosing by a 5 or 6 try margin.

Uni Prem Colts ,by my count, have a lot of new faces due to injuries (the 7 and 4 of last year), movement to grade either by age (2, 8,9,12,13 and probably others) or ability (Adkins the 6 and captain of last year is playing Prem grade) and retirement (?) - 5.

The one constant appears to be the front row- 3 props and a hooker of good quality.

I will be interested to see the new faces in the club establish themselves and I trust it will be a season of good evenly, contested rugby across the Prem Colts competition.

As an aside , Curtis Browning and Campbell Wakely (Aus Schholboys of last year) have been training and trialling with Prem Grade and are currently in NZ with Australian Universities together with a number of other Uni players. Dont expect to see much of them in the Prem Colts arena.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Over the last few weeks I have watched the UNI - Brothers -Sunnybank- GPS suite of trials and there is a evenness of quality across Uni, Sunnybank and GPS such that I expect all three to repeat their final appearances of last year. The margins in the trials Uni played against Sunnybank (lost) and GPS (won) have been a try or two ; Brothers appear to lack the same quality, at this stage, being monstered in the forewards by Uni and being run around in the backs and loosing by a 5 or 6 try margin.

Uni Prem Colts ,by my count, have a lot of new faces due to injuries (the 7 and 4 of last year), movement to grade either by age (2, 8,9,12,13 and probably others) or ability (Adkins the 6 and captain of last year is playing Prem grade) and retirement (?) - 5.

The one constant appears to be the front row- 3 props and a hooker of good quality.

I will be interested to see the new faces in the club establish themselves and I trust it will be a season of good evenly, contested rugby across the Prem Colts competition.

As an aside , Curtis Browning and Campbell Wakely (Aus Schholboys of last year) have been training and trialling with Prem Grade and are currently in NZ with Australian Universities together with a number of other Uni players. Dont expect to see much of them in the Prem Colts arena.

one most games through laying a dominant platform in the forwards. Can we expect this again this season or would you say there will be alot more utilisation of the backs

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
one most games through laying a dominant platform in the forwards. Can we expect this again this season or would you say there will be alot more utilisation of the backs

Indications are UNI is attempting to play an expansive game but as you realise, you cant go wide before going foreward. The pigs will provide good ball for the backs from their own set pieces and some of the oppositions (2 or 3 Tight heads against GPS on Saturday)

Uni had the ability to play different styles of game last year, both confrontational and slick, dependent on their opposition and stages of the game and I assume their aim will be the same this year. A lot of new players so will be interesting to see how the team members develop and this ultimately, will determine the predominant style of play. The one thing that does look very good so early in the season is their defence.

I expect them to have another good year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
As much as i hate them anything less that a top 2 finish in all colts competitions by uni would be a disgrace with all that horded talent they have......yet at the Sametime i can see their Prem colts coming third

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Brothers beat Easts and Norths beat GPS.
Uni, Sunnybank and Gold Coast were top 3 last year and it looks like little has changed.
Poor result for Easts considering Brothers fared poorly in the trials versus Uni, Sunnybank and GPS. Especially considering their program doesn't develop any volunteer coaches (QRU staff have coached their team for the last 6 years).

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^ i watched easts play a few trials and they didnt really play a tight game plan. Howeve rin syaing that they still should of had the size to trump brothers

Dancin_Digby

Bob McCowan (2)
Brothers' poor form in the trials can be put down to a large injury toll, experimentation with new players, the fact that the group are mostly 18 coming out of school, and mainly because they were trial games! Brothers dominated Easts in mosts facets and blew what could have been a big win by poor option taking near the tryline and simple errors like kicking the ball dead from a penalty for touch. the filth have wests, norths and souths in the next three rounds so look for them to roll on after this win.

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
I believe Wests were missing 2 props this evening and it certainly showed in the tight and in the application of muscle at the breakdown - they were clearly outmanned here and scrums went uncontested in the second half.

That deficiency does not, how
ever, explain the final score line. To a casual observer, Wests looked less match fit than Uni and really need to work on their defensive alignment and particularly their one on one tackles - though that is probably obvious given the scoreline.

Uni backline were pretty good this evening- crisp passing, support play, all done at speed and always making ground and always leaving West (attempted) tacklers in their wake.

Wests will improve and I wish them the best in the season

Status
Not open for further replies.