• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
View attachment 2373 Magnificent unpredicted sunny day at Albert Park for the GC Breakers vs Souths game ready for another game of Premier Rugby to change my mind about the skill level of this level of the game. Must say no atmosphere, scared to yell out, everybody is so quiet except the visitors supporters that bang the signage at every win of the ball and try. But back to the game skills were a bit better with the two teams. South's no.9 was amazing kept South's in the game the until 15mins after half time when he was injured and taken from the field. Breakers had some really good plays but suffered with the finishing handling was better than the West vs Breakers game. South's definitely looked and worked better as a team. They have this very fast running tighthead prop that can run like a winger, great to watch in flight with the ball tucked under his arm. The Breakers were even 13 a piece with Souths at half time and only in the last 10mins did Souths break away still happy to go a watch more 3rd Tier games not sure if I have the heart to support only one team really only love to scream for the Reds. GC Breakers 13 -20 Souths.
Frustrating day for our supporters! A lot more resilience in this group than seen in previous years but lack x factor and set piece is a shambles

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Not too surprised at the Easts result but am a little surprised that Brothers got up at Yoku Park, particularly with their playmaker on the bench for the Reds.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts vs Wests at Bottomely Park

Very nice day for rugby in Brisbane for this weekends fixtures, a bit cold but nothing to deter people away, which was evident as a suprisingly large crowd gathered for this one. Pre-match entertainment was quality, as a couple of u6 sides battled it out, the refs let the games flow as the traditional run 10m backwards then 15m across and then around the entire other side was the most common and effective move for try scoring. In all seriousness though, great addition for the club to bring in, it is good fun for the kids and gives the crowd something to watch in the 30minutes between Reserve Grade and the Premiers. Also good initiative as it brings down an extra 30 or so families down to watch their kids, who no doubt they buy a sasuage and drink for after the game.

Onto the match, and Wests came out firing with some very strong running. The game was open from the start, with both sides making line breaks and cutting in-roads around the second pillar channels. It was the Dogs who went over first, with their winger (?) going over after a line break from one of the tight forwards. Easts hit back straight away though with a great team try with forward runners such as Enever and Buttler making yards from half way, before Johnny Wilder came within inches of scoring before Michael Stollberg crashed over.

The following period of play was marred by consistantly poor refeering, frustrating both sides. At least he was crap to both sides, giving neither the advantage. Wests 10 Ben Damen looked to be having a shocker with his kick clearances, as the Tigers loose forwards, in particular Elijah Mowen targeting the kicker, with one pressured kick resulting in a turnover, and another strong ball carry from Buttler, resulting in Dom Fuller going over. Wests added a penalty shortly after making it 10-8.

From there it was all Easts, with David Skelton going over from a great set peice move and pin-point passing from Matt Brandon, saw the speedy 12 break a tackle and scoot down the right hand side to score in the corner. Skelton grabbed his second minutes later when the forward running of Buttler and Enever again lead to another try.

Whilst the pack was performing well as a unit around the field, scrums and line outs were a disaster for Easts. The scrum suffered without talented youngsters Bermingham and u20's loosehead Parraka, with a few tightheads conceeded. The line out didn't fair much better, with young hooker Ready not hitting the mark, combined with poor lifting and communications. Dom Fuller was also struggling without front foot set peice ball, as he had a rare off day with his frustrations clearly showing.

Contradictory to what I just said, the next try came from a suprise tighthead as, yep you guessed it, Jarrad Buttler made a dominant run down the blindside only to pull off a brilliant offload for Fuller to sprint over in the corner. The final score for Easts saw replacement winger Chris Mansell produce a brilliant individual effort to the delight of the crowd. Wests crashed over through Waita Setu late in the game for a consolation try.

For Easts Jarrad Buttler was once again the best player on the park, his ball running is the best I've seen in the competition this year, absolutely devastating, as is ability to offload in the tackle and get stuck into some good tight work. I know there has been a big discussion in the Reds 2013 thread on whether he is ready to fill one of the contract spots left by the departing Higginbotham, and to be honest, I haven't seen any player come close to his performances this year, would be my pick to gain a contract soon.

Others who impressed were David Skelton and Blake Enever. Easts depth also showed with 4th choice outside center Barnes having a very good run on debut, making some good tackles and very strong running. Losing Toby White, Joel Faulkner (Season) and Sean Cox (gone for the season) are massive blows, but Barnes looked up to it. Overall it was the best performance the Tigers have put together this season, but it still alot of room for improvement especially around the set peice.

For Wests, they were more competitive then the scoreboard indicated. In attack I thought they looked dangerous, especially outwide. In the forwards they struggled though, and what do you expect when your 6 and 8 spend 90% of the match standing on the wing. Their big number 4 Campbell was impressive for mine, as was Tom Middlin and Nigel Genia, who showed some class in being the instigator in many attacking raids. But for mine their best player was fullback Ian Aokuso who made many strong runs and his kicking game probably could of been used more as Damen struggled. Wests showed enough promise in this one, but were let down by their tight work in the end, the backs showed they had some class.

Easts 38 (Tries: D Fuller D Skelton 2 tries M Stolberg C Mansell. M Brandon 4 cons) d Wests 15 (Tries:W Setu B Lainchbury. B Lainchbury pen con)
Great day down at Bottomley, good crowd, good weather, entertaining game of rugby. Third Tier Rugby, GET INVOLVED!

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Agree with most of that Tigerland.
Lineouts should be much better than they are, throws a bit amiss and some calls should be made to your money men and not to the back when close on attack or defence. Choices??
Backs held onto the ball a lot better and, again, choices were better improved upon.
I was corrected a few of times when I thought it was Enever out there when it was Stolberg. He stepped up this game.
Wests have some good players but they need to close their mouth. Being marched isn't a good thing - lose to much terriorty that they worked so hard to gain.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Great game report tigerland.. even though I'm a doggie licking my wounds, good to see a fan give a report not through the rose shade glasses (is that the correct metaphor?)

Matt Brandon continues to be the 2nd best flyhalf in the competition (behind D.Murphy of course) .. If I was building my own premier team then well I'd basically flip a coin between those 2 and be happy either way. Brandon really helped to get it to all those weapons outside & I was most impressed with either the 2nd last or last try where the outside back kicked over the head and showed incredible pace to gather his own ball and score in the corner.

Wests got beaten by the more hungrier team yesterday afternoon.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Great game report tigerland.. even though I'm a doggie licking my wounds, good to see a fan give a report not through the rose shade glasses (is that the correct metaphor?)

Matt Brandon continues to be the 2nd best flyhalf in the competition (behind D.Murphy of course) .. If I was building my own premier team then well I'd basically flip a coin between those 2 and be happy either way. Brandon really helped to get it to all those weapons outside & I was most impressed with either the 2nd last or last try where the outside back kicked over the head and showed incredible pace to gather his own ball and score in the corner.

Wests got beaten by the more hungrier team yesterday afternoon.

That was reserve winger Chris "the body" Mansel. He is probably the fastest player in the comp.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd like to see a 100m dash where each rugby club sends a representative to compete.

I'm sure there's other players out there in lower grades with better raw speed but lack the skills required to play top level, but it's pretty safe to say that 90% of the representatives would come from premier grade as speed is a skill that coaches can't teach (they can only try & harness it)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Mansell is a freak. So fast its not funny. Handy player to have come on later in the game for some spark. That try was brilliant.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
GPS V BROTHERS Yoko Rd Ashgrove.

Thanks to GPS news sheet for the following report, which was a good representation of what I saw of the game.
It was a pity Rodiki Samo dropped a pass from the side of a maul with the line 3metres away just on full time

http://www.gpsrugby.com.au/BrothersReport

The mood was up-beat as Premiers ran on with the wind away from the sun. For the first 15 minutes each team tested out the other. Jeeps using the wind with kicks and Brothers running all around the field looking for a break in the strong Jeeps defence. Unfortunately they eventually found gaps and with deadly accurate kicking the score at quarter time was 14-0.

The Glue factory was in fine voice when Brothers spilt a ball to have it picked up by Junior Rasolea who ran 75 metres to keep Jeeps in touch at half time.

Immediately after half time Pat Smith slotted a penalty and Jeeps only trailed by 4. Ten minutes into the half, Brothers had a defensive lapse which was used by Matt Blain to score in the corner to give Jeeps the lead 17-14. The lead was short lived however with another Brothers try 21-17 against the home side.

For the last 20 minutes of the game, Jeeps pounded the Brothers line. Brothers defence however was rock solid and we could find no way through.

A four point loss was a bit disappointing, but these two teams could play each other another 3 times this season, and the result could be different next time!

mouthguard

Frank Row (1)
Not too surprised at the Easts result but am a little surprised that Brothers got up at Yoku Park, particularly with their playmaker on the bench for the Reds.

Not just Brothers' playmaker D Murphy dat missed the game, Scott Daruda was out becase of a minor medical procedure and veteran Nbr 6 Simon Price had study commitments. Bretheren winger Dylan Taikato-Simpson filled in at Nbr 10 and did quite a good job but his wayward pass led to Jeeps first try by outside centre Rasolea.

However, the bretheren held their own in the forwards against a star studded pack. Thanks to their lineouts and solid scrums. Their young TH prop Sanday is the only national academy player in Brothers compared with the 11 who ran on for Jeeps, plus current Reds Radike Samo. I thought the Brehter's defence was heroic especally when defending their line in the final 10 minutes.

The next round will be interesting as Brothers will have the home ground advantage plus the confidence from Jeeps first scalp under their belt

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd like to see a 100m dash where each rugby club sends a representative to compete.

I'm sure there's other players out there in lower grades with better raw speed but lack the skills required to play top level, but it's pretty safe to say that 90% of the representatives would come from premier grade as speed is a skill that coaches can't teach (they can only try & harness it)
I think a 40m sprint would be a better representation of rugby speed. Players would rarely, if ever, run 100m but are required to cover 40m on a regular occurrence.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts halfback Dom Fuller on that shitty Dating In The Dark Show!

The chick said "he is an absolute asshole, not a nice guy"! Been laughing for a good 5 minutes now. But now I feel silly watching this shit, but worth it to see Franga make an idiot of himself.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Just had a peek at the table.
It seems after 5 rounds the top 5 & bottom 5 won't change. Just the order.
Hope I'm proved wrong.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Excellent match report on the Easts v Wests match T12! I see you rate Jarrad Butler, good player isn't he?

T

TOCC

How's Dion Taumata going for Sunnybak..?
Thought he might have super rugby potential

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Dion is progressing well.
He has a good kick and passes with width well.
He has some work to do on his defence and when at the line with ball in hand but he has that X factor you cannot coach into someone.
I would predict that he may weak pick up a contract withe the 6th Australian franchise (7s team) and then progress to SXV in 2014.
He is a good kid but like Quade and Richard Kingi he doesn't exactly fit the GPS school captain mould required to endure the ARU Academy structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.