• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Apparently Saia isn't being released from the Wallaby squad so wont be available for GPS this weekend.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Brothers' #7 shown a red card in the first minute of the match. Last twitter update shows Uni 50 v Filth 7 at the 50 minute mark.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Big call on the red card. Any idea what for?

Sent using Tapatalk

Was for a tip tackle and was justified.

Obviously changed the whole game and there was only ever going to be one winner after that but Uni went to another level from anything they've showed this year. Brothers fell in a heap, which is not surprising given how early the card came out.

Sunnybank were leading 30-13 and looked comfortable but then looked like they switched off - to their credit GPS pounced and Sunnybank were lucky to hold on.

Will be a very interesting game Sunnybank v Brothers next week.

G

G&GR News Bot

Yes, it’s that time of year again and we’re done with the first round of finals for Queensland club rugby. The two Premier Rugby semi finals were played today in spectacular fashion. Sunnybank managed a very narrow win over GPS, winning 30-27 in the elimination semi final. This means that the men in green and

Click this link to read the full article...

P

preo

Personally I thought the Red Card was fucking pathetic and just another reason why over zealot referees ruin games of rugby.

Are you being serious? Absolutely no other option than to show a red card for that tackle.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Long time reader, first time poster! I thought it was time for another expert to start weighing in on the big issues!! I'll start by answering someones question as to who the 12 was for UQ last week v easts, his name is Con Foley and involved in the Aus 7s... a real talent with a very high work rate and a great attitude.

I agree with Filth Rugby in saying that the Uni 6 was a standout, although he only played the 1st half. Considering he is only 18 he has a HUGE future, an extremely impressive player by the name of Curtis Browning. I also thought their 8 was huge in the 1st half as well, Arvier. They are both very good ball runners.

I've followed the Heavies all year and they haven't been impressive (particularly against the top teams). The boys have been waiting for it to click and I had resigned myself to thinking it wouldn't happen in time but they have been on the up and up over the past month. Today they looked like they were in a different league to the Filth(admittedly only 14 men) every time they had the ball they looked like scoring and the scary thing is they still firmly believe they haven't hit top gear. Should be interesting in 2 weeks time to see if they do. Also scary to think how young the team is!

I thought the standout for Brothers today was one of their wingers who had exceptional footwork, I'm not entirely sure who he was but he was dangerous every time he got the pill. Also Kudos to them for not throwing in the towel, they continued to work very hard for points but the Heavies defence looked quite solid as well. If it was any team but the Filth I actually would have felt sorry for them :D

It'll be an interesting game next week, I wonder if Brothers can turn it around in 7 days? I missed the Sunnybank V gps game... I was actually tipping Gps in this one. Do Sunnybank look the goods? I'm interested to see how Tapuai played?

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are you being serious? Absolutely no other option than to show a red card for that tackle.
But when there is two players involved in the tackle both of whom lifted him up how do you card only one of them. Sure it looked bad and was totally reckless but there was no malice in it, Red was a poor decision because it ruined the game before it even started. Uni looked sharp though, getting rid of mosey and playing moz at 13 really sharpened up the backline. Having a threat at 13 made the defense stick a bit more and gave the Uni wingers good time and space and they scored a couple of very nice tries.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Great first post Purce, keep them coming.

Going to be hard for Brothers to turn it around against Sunnybank. They seem to have fallen away since the Murphy Brothers got injured. I didn't see the games but score-line suggest GPS did very well.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
But when there is two players involved in the tackle both of whom lifted him up how do you card only one of them. Sure it looked bad and was totally reckless but there was no malice in it, Red was a poor decision because it ruined the game before it even started. Uni looked sharp though, getting rid of mosey and playing moz at 13 really sharpened up the backline. Having a threat at 13 made the defense stick a bit more and gave the Uni wingers good time and space and they scored a couple of very nice tries.
I wasn't at the game but I'd like to address a few things you've said.
If it's a red card offence and there are 2 in the tackle carding 1 player would be the minimum action.
Malice has no bearing on the issuing of a red card for a tip tackle.
Ruining the game also has no bearing on the referees division to issue a card.
The referees on this forum will tell you the minimum sanction for a tip tackle. I'm pretty certain it's a red card. So once he decided it was a dangerous tackle he had very little choice.

Sent using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great first post Purce, keep them coming.

Going to be hard for Brothers to turn it around against Sunnybank. They seem to have fallen away since the Murphy Brothers got injured. I didn't see the games but score-line suggest GPS did very well.

You're loving the 59-12 scoreline aren't ya T12? haha

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Long time reader, first time poster! I thought it was time for another expert to start weighing in on the big issues!! I'll start by answering someones question as to who the 12 was for UQ last week v easts, his name is Con Foley and involved in the Aus 7s. a real talent with a very high work rate and a great attitude.

That makes me chuckle, as alot of prem grade players think he is an extremely lucky guy to even get picked in prem grade. And are bewildered at his representative selections and funding.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
That makes me chuckle, as alot of prem grade players think he is an extremely lucky guy to even get picked in prem grade. And are bewildered at his representative selections and funding.

Works hard but I doubt would not get the attention he receives now if he played for different club.

He is a premier grade level player but in my opinion his develeopment has stagnated and has improved much since that first season of colts

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)

I was talking to a brothers premier play last week and when I told him Con was out he was very happy as he saw him as one of Uni’s real threats in both attack and defence.

Con also got Uni’s players player last year as a colt so he is held in high regard amongst the players he plays with.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Works hard but I doubt would not get the attention he receives now if he played for different club.

He is a premier grade level player but in my opinion his develeopment has stagnated and has improved much since that first season of colts

Con wasn’t chased by any club after leaving school and was not in the usual future star pathways of QLD/Aus schoolboy ect when he arrived at Uni. So his successes can only be attributed to really good performances and a lot of hard work over the last 3 years.

Not sure if you are saying he is improving or not by the comment above but I can guarantee his development since joining the 7’s program has been amazing and he has come a long way since colts.

PS I am not his Dad just someone who gets to watch him every week

Status
Not open for further replies.