• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I must say it's the most excited I've been for a Premier final in a few years. Both teams have strong forward packs and lots of excitement in the backs. Harris is a big inclusion for the Students with his kicking game so the Dragon's will have to make sure they don't give away any penalties in their half as he'll kick goals all day.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
I too am really looking forward to this match. And honestly, although I'd love to see Sunnybank go back to back my head says Uni.

Whatever the result, I'm sure to enjoy the afternoon at Ballymore.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Well that was anti-climatic.

Everyone talking about how dangerous Sunnybank would be if they made the finals. & they ended up getting there & they laid a egg.

Sunnybank might want to look at how they invest that poker machine money because after todays effort it doesn't look like they got bang for buck. (jokes)

Congratulations to University.. I didn't want you guys to win, But well deserved.
(I saw smoke & mirrors in that 14 vs 15 Major Preliminary final against Brothers where they romped into the grand final on the back of the Charlie Freney dangerous tackle, but after taking care of the Bank today, Can't even question that you guys didn't deserve it)

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Nice arvo at Ballymore, though it looked a little warm on the park! Harris even threw a nice pass or two.

You could see Simmons had been paying attention at wallaby training when he galloped into a gap in the second half and chip kicked. The end result was the same.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok which franchise needs a 13? Rex Taps was fantastic and deserves a contract.

Congrats to UQ on a polished performance. Obviously Harris was great, but I thought Luke Morahan was terrific at 13. Hanson, Browning and Buchanan also strong. Kev Davis scrummed very well and dished it up to the bank in a few attacking Sunnybank scrums.

Heather

Bob McCowan (2)
Just one quick question I would like answered if possible. I heard today that Freney got 'time served' for that dangerous tackle on Arvs. Is that true? What is their reasoning? Mitch Wade copped 3 weeks for ?less(er) dangerous tackle. That means he would have played today if Brothers had beaten Bank last week!!

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Nice arvo at Ballymore, though it looked a little warm on the park! Harris even threw a nice pass or two.

It was hotter than it looked too Vidiot. Bugger me. I was looking for the breeze that came through in the last 2 weekends at Ballymore to cool it down. Nup. Stayed f***ing hot.

The sweat on the ball could have played a hand in the dropped ball, just going off what some of the boys were saying.

Happy little camper here.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Uni deserved it they where always top 4 without there stars dropping back form super 15......Sunnybank flowed into the finals on the back of super players dropping back.

moral victory to boot

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Totally agree TD, thought some of the Bank's Super players could have contributed more, namely Kingi (passenger), Alo-Emile (another passenger) and Simmons (outside of one line break was quiet). Matt Lucas tried hard all day and Rex Tapuai should be at the next level but not much else to write home about. Interesting enough as I walk out of the ground, a number of the Bank supporters who spotted their victorious head coach from last season, Tiny Nowlan, called out to him saying they needed the big fella and that Tiny would not have made some of the coaching errors made yesterday. Just saying what I heard. I for one, although a big fan of the Tapuai boys do not understand why they targeted either the channel between Foley and Morahan or worse still tried to go round them. That was never going to be a realistic option against a backline drift defence that had Morahan in the midfield and he nullified most threats that tried to get to the outside of him.
Harris was huge for Uni but his forwards laid the ideal platform and stood up to the powerful Dragons pack and I had to chuckle when they started a few pick and gos towards the end as I thought that was the ultimate tongue in cheek response from Uni to take the Bank on up the middle but it showed they had done their homework. Sunnybank did well to come back into the contest before halftime but they looked gassed at the break and paid the price when they were not the first to score after play resumed.
Well it has been a great season and look forward to the improvements of Souths and Wests and wonder if the Coasts will ever bounce back to be competitive

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yep it was a pretty awesome Uni team. They can thank Robbie Deans and his selectors for this years Premiership. Having 100% access to Morahan and Hanson and then Harris in the Final I believe was the difference.

I was surprised to hear the Matt Brandon got Player of the Year. With some decent prize money too the lucky bugger. He was definitely the most important player for the Tigers as the teams performances dipped when he was not playing or playing injured.

But I thought Dion Tuamata, the Sunnybank fly half had an exceptional year. (perhaps the GF hurt his chances)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Matt Brandon Is indispensable to Easts. Easts could have every player fit but him and you would tell something is wrong, Easts have relied on him for years and will for a few more. Taumata while very good is interchangeable, and Sunnybank's surge up the ladder had nothing to do with him (However he was one of there only form players before hand).

Key difference probably is that Brandon controls the game and dictates all the details from building field position and orchestrating the clutch plays, while Dion is very good he doesn't take on that sort of responsibility. Could be an age thing or the fact he has class outside him so he feels he can just 'pass it on' ( pun intended)

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Uni team that played in the GF has benefited from mostly all coming through the system and playing together for a long time. Similar to how brothers have done so well for so long. Below is a team list to give you a bit of an idea

1 Kev Davis – came over 3 years ago from England played ½ year in reserve grade until Heath Tessman was ruled out for the rest of the year and he got promoted. He has play 50 prem games

2 Chibba Hanson – Played since colts and has played 100 games for the club (mostly in prems)

3 Sammy Cochrane – Played since colts and has played 80+ premier grade games

4 Jordon Chapman – Played since colts has 60+ prem grade games

5 Tim Buchanan – Played since colts 70ish prem grade 100 for the club.

6 Curtis Browning – 1st year colt

7 Con Mitchell – 1st year colt

8 Matt Arvier – Played since colts (1 year off with the titans) and has played 50 prem grade games and would be 80+ games for the club

9 Will Thompson – Played colts at Easts but as been at the club for 5 years with nearly 80 games of prems.

10 Mike Harris – Blow in who has played 3 games for the club but been a part of everything since signing with the reds

11 Elliott Hagen – 1st year with the Heavies after playing with the Stingrays all his life

12 Con Foley – Played since colts still only 20

13 Luke Morahan – Played since colts for about 50 games for the club

14 David Burns – Played since colts although he went straight to premier grade where is close to 50 games.

15 Simon Morahan – Played since Colts for about 50 games for the club

G

G&GR News Bot

Now that Silly Sunday and Mad Monday are over for another year, it’s time to take some painkillers, grab a hash brown and reflect on the year that was. Uni took out the Hospitial Cup, defeating last year’s Premiers Sunnybank in a 46-20 whitewash. Uni got an early lead and although Sunnybank came back with

Click this link to read the full article...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think Brandon is a fair choice for that award. No other players have that sort of influential impact in their own team. Easts are screwed when he doesn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.