• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Good defense sees Souths triumph over Easts 14-10 in a tense game at Chippsy Wood.
2 tries to Souths winger Dominic Lespierre who now has 9 tries from the last 3 games! This guy has some serious speed.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes Souths deserved to win that one. Nothing the Tigers tried came off, Souths made much better use of the ball and their field positioning was superior. Their defensive effort was outstanding as Penguin has already indicated. Let's hope that result can be turned into a positive for Easts. Souths will certainly be backing themselves for the rest of the season!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
For anyone have a shithouse weekend, Brothers sadly got smashed 50-20 by the Bank.
Definatly made me feel better about Easts loss.

I was left questioning Pat Richards gameplan after the loss. Yes Souths were good defensively, yes the ref let them kill the ball repeatedly, but it looks like Easts just had no answers. We all know Easts use the exhaust pattern and work the blindside with forward runners. But Souths were dominating defensively, so why was that pattern persisted with? There were moments when Skelton, Brandon and Seuteni all looked good running wider, but they were never used. I think Fuller needs to take responsibility for this, his crabbing is a killer to any momentum and he does not really play what's infront of him, instead just sticks to the same pattern, regardless of its success (or lack of).

Another note was this stupid repeated line-out move of Buttler or Riley running it straight up in the mid-field. Yes it works a couple of times, but it is really easy for the opposition to pick up, at one point Souths had marked 3 players on Buttler and belted him. I have no idea why they didn't just shift it behind him to someone like Wilder or Mansell, who barley saw the ball. Easts cannot win this competition if they are not able to recognize when their gameplan isn't working, because to be honest, there is not innovative about it.

The other issue is the lack of direct running in the backline. Without White today, all the runners were shifting laterally. Skelton on a few occasions had to sacrafice himself just to ensure they didnt end up running off the field. Hopefully White isn't badly injured, because he is a massive cog in that backline, no disrespect to Chucky Mullins, but White is the solidarity we need when things aren't going right.

Some positives though, not many to be honest. Andrew Ready had his best game in a while, his line out throwing was spot on compared to other weeks. Stollberg, Enever and Butler all proved to be handfuls in the line-out. Greg Riley ran well, made a couple of line-breaks in his return.

Brothers/Easts losing and Souths winning (along with GPS and University) sets this comp up for a few thrilling rounds before the finals.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I had the same thought on the overuse of butler midfield. I hope this is only because White was gone. It sounds like his injury is pretty bad but hopefully it is something they can strap and manage through the last few games.

I think you were a little harsh on Fuller. Some of his clearances from rucks and scrums in particular surprised me because he was getting backwards ball.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
I believe it may have been a clean sweep in all grades for Souths today too, although I don't know the result of the Colts match which started after the Premier grade.

clubland

Bob McCowan (2)
Th
Definatly made me feel better about Easts loss.

I was left questioning Pat Richards gameplan after the loss. Yes Souths were good defensively, yes the ref let them kill the ball repeatedly, but it looks like Easts just had no answers. We all know Easts use the exhaust pattern and work the blindside with forward runners. But Souths were dominating defensively, so why was that pattern persisted with? There were moments when Skelton, Brandon and Seuteni all looked good running wider, but they were never used. I think Fuller needs to take responsibility for this, his crabbing is a killer to any momentum and he does not really play what's infront of him, instead just sticks to the same pattern, regardless of its success (or lack of).

Another note was this stupid repeated line-out move of Buttler or Riley running it straight up in the mid-field. Yes it works a couple of times, but it is really easy for the opposition to pick up, at one point Souths had marked 3 players on Buttler and belted him. I have no idea why they didn't just shift it behind him to someone like Wilder or Mansell, who barley saw the ball. Easts cannot win this competition if they are not able to recognize when their gameplan isn't working, because to be honest, there is not innovative about it.

The other issue is the lack of direct running in the backline. Without White today, all the runners were shifting laterally. Skelton on a few occasions had to sacrafice himself just to ensure they didnt end up running off the field. Hopefully White isn't badly injured, because he is a massive cog in that backline, no disrespect to Chucky Mullins, but White is the solidarity we need when things aren't going right.

Some positives though, not many to be honest. Andrew Ready had his best game in a while, his line out throwing was spot on compared to other weeks. Stollberg, Enever and Butler all proved to be handfuls in the line-out. Greg Riley ran well, made a couple of line-breaks in his return.

Brothers/Easts losing and Souths winning (along with GPS and University) sets this comp up for a few thrilling rounds before the finals.
The only thing you have got right is that the tigers had no answers.Brandon was shown up by an 18 year old in his 2nd premier grade game.Shame we had a slow start.Could of been interesting come semis.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
I have been coming to these forums for a long time, and decided to actually sign up so i can express my opinion on various posts and just generally getting involved. And I think there needs to be more participants that are not linked to Easts, as sometimes I think i am reading an Easts forum. The amount of air time someone like UJ gets is embarrassing. But anyway I will finish the rant at this stage there. Great upset too on the weekend, Congratulations to Souths. They are hitting their straps later in the season. Sunnybank are really looking the favourites after that thumping win over Brothers and I believe GPS and Uni scored most likely easy victories over the coast teams. I heard Wests were ahead in the first half by a lot and then Norths came back with the help of the referee for continuous infringements that went unpenalised and pretty much snatched victory at the final stages. That is very interesting news clubland to hear Brandon being shown up by a young 18 year old, great news though, those so called big Easts second rowers may not have laid the platform for Brandon to play 15metres back from the advantage line as per usual. With only two games remaining my prediction for top four is Sunnybank, Brothers, Easts, Uni. Possinly GPS, hopefully Uni and Wests can upset that for them. Anyway I would say my first post has come with controversy, but I will handle it!

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
5 years from now it will be interesting if UJ will still be being discussed. He is a talent - he hasn't had colts or anywhere like that to develop confidence and his game. Doing well for a kid thrown in the deep end.
Platform for Brandon was there but Souths were pretty much offside the whole game plus they were a lot eager at the breakdown. Would have been interesting if the Ref had not pulled penelaties out of his ....hat everytime Easts made it to Souths try line. Some interesting penalties blown there...still can't locate that rule book..maybe it's out of printing!!
Stingrays have fallen further and further apart every game. They have run out of players from what I've heard and read.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Blaming the referee is always poor form.

Great defense & very good counter rucking was what won that game for Souths..... nothing to do with the ref!

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
As much as there is a lot of terrible Premier Grade referees out there, I agree with Penguin. Well Done Souths. What about this Lespierre, he sounds like the Usain Bolt of Premier Grade. I heard he was playing reserve grade during the year though? Imagine if he played all premier games, he would be a long way ahead in the try scoring stats. No worries tigerland, I will try and get a few more non Easts representitives to even the forums up.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
He did start out in reserve grade Stalwart. I think he was a beneficiary of having Cooper play the past couple of games, he certainly set up the 4 he scored against the Gold Coast, but his two yesterday showed that he can find the try line without that benefit. I believe he has represented Guyana in 7's so that would rule out any chance of S15 if he could be up to it anyway. But the guy has serious speed & evasiveness and is looking a star a Premier level.
I think Souths have taken a lot of confidence with their young crew from Coopers involvement the 2 weeks previously.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I have been coming to these forums for a long time, and decided to actually sign up so i can express my opinion on various posts and just generally getting involved. And I think there needs to be more participants that are not linked to Easts, as sometimes I think i am reading an Easts forum. The amount of air time someone like UJ gets is embarrassing. But anyway I will finish the rant at this stage there. Great upset too on the weekend, Congratulations to Souths. They are hitting their straps later in the season. Sunnybank are really looking the favourites after that thumping win over Brothers and I believe GPS and Uni scored most likely easy victories over the coast teams. I heard Wests were ahead in the first half by a lot and then Norths came back with the help of the referee for continuous infringements that went unpenalised and pretty much snatched victory at the final stages. That is very interesting news clubland to hear Brandon being shown up by a young 18 year old, great news though, those so called big Easts second rowers may not have laid the platform for Brandon to play 15metres back from the advantage line as per usual. With only two games remaining my prediction for top four is Sunnybank, Brothers, Easts, Uni. Possinly GPS, hopefully Uni and Wests can upset that for them. Anyway I would say my first post has come with controversy, but I will handle it!
Welcome aboard, I think Easts will miss the finals again. Tough final two games and they will have that sinking feeling all over again.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Blaming the referee is always poor form.

Great defense & very good counter rucking was what won that game for Souths... nothing to do with the ref!

I don't remember saying the referee was to blame. I said that Souths were offside quite a lot and they were. If you don't agree then thats up to you. A good look at the game again might indicate that I have in fact made a valid point. Souths were aggressive at the breakdown and their defence was very good. They also got away with putting pressure on the halfback when offside. I could go on but the fact is that the game is over and Souths won. Simple.
BUT it does sadden me that the refing is in such poor form in Brisbane. As someone who has sat the tests blah blah - if the cap fits then wear it. Bagging Refs is poor form but they also need to ensure that they are on top of their game. Too many times this season they have gone to blow the whistle and haven't on some pretty big problems/indiscretions. For me - I think a lot of it comes from lack of fitness and the fact the some of the Touchies aren't helping where they should.
I think that there has been many inconsistences the whole season, for some time for that matter and that something needs to be done about it.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't think anyone is blaming the ref for the loss, because I thought Souths were very well drilled defensively, they tackled like animals. But they also played into refs (odd) interpretations. He basically let them kill the ball, pretty blatantly from what I thought. But credit too them for noticing this and continuing to throw bodies into the breakdown. Easts on the other hand should of stopped complaining and instead return the favour. Too often the big boys were standing at pivot, whilst commiting only 2 or 3 to the ruck.

Another example of Easts not being able to adapt gameplans for the situation.

And yes I am saying the ref was poor, but I AM NOT blaming it for the loss or taking anything away from Souths.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Adaption is the Mother to winning tough games. Your right T12 - didn't adapt.

Making a point isn't 'blaming' - what are you - school kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.