• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Still two game right ups missing from the QRU webpage. Can anyone provide a brief synopsis of these games?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You Tiger boys are a bit of a precious lot aren't you. You've been talking yourselves up all year and they have a minor hiccup on the weekend and you get upset when it's mentioned they might miss the finals.
I for one am glad Souths wont be there as they have hit a good bit of form. If they can hold onto the majority of the squad for next year they will really push to be in the top 4.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
You Tiger boys are a bit of a precious lot aren't you. You've been talking yourselves up all year and they have a minor hiccup on the weekend and you get upset when it's mentioned they might miss the finals.
I for one am glad Souths wont be there as they have hit a good bit of form. If they can hold onto the majority of the squad for next year they will really push to be in the top 4.

Agreed Jets. They've been the big improvers of the year. I've really enjoyed watching Souths play this year. They're entertaining and opportunistic: they'll jump on any mistakes and make you pay. Although as a supporter of their opposition that can be super-frustrating and bloody upsetting, as a spectator it makes for a really exciting game.

From talking to some players, there's a really good feeling around the club right now. Although this doesn't translate immediately and automatically into results on-field, it's almost impossible to get anywhere without.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
The big improvement in th comp this year has been the standard of coaches. Easts and GPS made the off season player recruiting coups, mainly at the expense if the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, but the injection of quality coaches into Wests, Souths, Brothers and Sunnybank have ensured the comp is quite competitive. Ken Wills and Phil Mooney are both in their late 40s and bring a wealth of experience to clubs that otherwise would probably struggle. Matt Kaye and Rod Seib picked up GF teams however maintaining performance in the current environment is no easy task and both deserve credit for their efforts in their 1st year in charge. Another notable mention should go to Mike Bishop who travels weekly from South Burnett to coach Norths.
Uni, Easts and GPS might yet be there as the top 3 teams at the end of the season but nobody can take anything away from the guys previously mentioned.
Let's hope the clubs can retain them.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Completely agree with you happyjacks, improvements from the clubs can largely be attributed to the coaches and not just the head coaches. It only took easts 2 years to go from cella dwellers to champions under Pat Richards so a lot of people should be looking closely at Souths and Wests next year.

I'm wondering when planning for next season starts and what is involved? Eg recruitment and retention of players and staff, strategies and game plans etc

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
That pat Richards thing irks me still. I know it's just the way things are but the way he has used his position at the Qru to the advantage of eats has only been at the detriment of other clubs. But what can you do.....

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From my understanding Pat was/is employed by the ARU to look after the forwards as part of the national academy. I think many people saw this as the reason that most of the Academy players who moved to Brisbane from the Coasts went and played at Easts.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Also been told by some current schoolboy rep players have already been sounded out as 'academy prospects' and told that if they want to convert on this they should go to one off the 3/4 preferred clubs. But I do not know the validity of this kids claims

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well that's a big accusation Thierry.

I can understand players moving on to where they feel comfortable (Darius Boyd Broncos-Saints-Knights because he wants to play under Wayne Bennett).. hell i can appreciate a player moving from the Gold/Sunny Coast up to Bris because of work/lifestyle commitements

But national academy prospects being told to enrol with certain clubs to increase their chances of a contract?

let me guess 3 or 4 clubs.. Easts/UQ/GPS & Sunnybank. The usual culprits when we talk about dirty dealings. LOL... & we all seem to argue week in/week out about players having a choice & not being forced to go to certain clubs.

neverhasbeen

Stan Wickham (3)
SouthernX I would say that is an even bigger accusation. Have you ever dealt with these clubs? What dirty dealings are you aware of please enlighten us!!

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
obviously this raises moral issues, but is there anything against the governing and employment laws that has been broken if these rumors and allegations are true?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
SouthernX I would say that is an even bigger accusation. Have you ever dealt with these clubs? What dirty dealings are you aware of please enlighten us!!

common allegations are that Sunnybank pay players, and that GPS have used the influence of a player manager to recruit, UQ offer scholarships gym memberships etc, Easts use QRU influence to recruit and Brothers are scum.

Have I missed anything guys?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

ECA nailed it on the head.

but if you want specifics. You only need to back through the 55 pages of this thread where it almost seems like a daily occurance where we are talking about brown paper bags under a cafeteria table transactions for Sunnybank/UQ star representative players.

neverhasbeen

Stan Wickham (3)
In this current climate I am sure that Sunnybank & Uni aren't the only ones? Just my thoughts that with all these so called player managers around trying to get deals for their clients that the players are shopping themselves around.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So ECA you are saying that Easts don't pay players and Sunnybank is the only club that does .....interesting.

That's not what I said at all mate. I said "Common allegations". It was more of a dig at the rumour mill perpetuated by this forum and at the piss-trough of your local clubs.

Although, I can't see the Easts board ever agreeing to pay players for Easts. I know they have actively sort freebies from local businesses and club members and jobs and accommodation for players previously. Particularly those using rugby as a chance for an Overseas Adventure. You would be scratching at old wounds bringing up rumors of misappropriation of raffle funds which had nothing to do with coaching staff or board members.

At Easts I know regular i.e. first choice players in the Prem Squad have to pay the $415 rego every year. Which is the total opposite of paying a player. imagine the the dressing room if some players were paid to play and some had to pay. Particularly if the guy paying was 1st choice and the guy being paid was struggling to find a spot?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
ECA nailed it on the head.

but if you want specifics. You only need to back through the 55 pages of this thread where it almost seems like a daily occurance where we are talking about brown paper bags under a cafeteria table transactions for Sunnybank/UQ star representative players.

I am glad someone understood what i meant

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
From my understanding Pat was/is employed by the ARU to look after the forwards as part of the national academy. I think many people saw this as the reason that most of the Academy players who moved to Brisbane from the Coasts went and played at Easts.
He was to have to have a position there but for the very reasons of conflict between club and academy he did not end up at Ballymore coaching the NA.
Have you ever looked at the positions of the players who went to Easts and that they might have sort out Pat's coaching.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The way it was put to me was that the academy recommends these clubs as they believe that they have the best infrastructure and coaches in place. Which is pretty true however I would suggest that teams like wests and souths who have Brought in better coaches will probably see there names back on these lists. Especially with someone like phill mooney who has a good history with developing players

Status
Not open for further replies.