• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

T12 Brandon can tackle when he has to it's just they are protecting his ageing & frail shoulders by having him defend on the wing/fullback.

He is not the first #10 in rugby that is protected in this manner.

He is still the best #10 in the comp. Hold the phone Sam Greene supporters Greenie needs to stand up this year and take Brothers deep if he is to dismantle Brandon/McIntyre. Dalgleish should not be discounted either.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I hope I don't get crucified for changing the topic away from Easts.

I see a lot of similarities in this years Brother's team and GPS circa 2012/13, although Brothers have the advantage of a potential superstar flyhalf guiding them around the field, something which was identified as a GPS weakness in the Grand Final a few years ago. I think if Brothers make it to the GF this year (and I reckon they will) they will win the comp as they have a good balance of young talented blokes and guys who are experienced enough to get the job done mentally.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I hope I don't get crucified for changing the topic away from Easts.

I see a lot of similarities in this years Brother's team and GPS circa 2012/13, although Brothers have the advantage of a potential superstar flyhalf guiding them around the field, something which was identified as a GPS weakness in the Grand Final a few years ago. I think if Brothers make it to the GF this year (and I reckon they will) they will win the comp as they have a good balance of young talented blokes and guys who are experienced enough to get the job done mentally.

I don't think Brothers will make the GF. Reds players starting from this week will filter down to club land and Brothers front row will not be able to hold the pack of Easts and UQ especially at set piece.
Sunnybank will be worried especially with the GPS calvary expected to return this week (Frisby, Talakai, FTA possibly Kerevi and FTS depending on Wallaby duty) could provide Souths a chance to close the gap.

IMO Easts & UQ will soon start to turn up the heat and will play off for the GF

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have to agree (begrudgingly) with TL. Joel was marking George Morseu (sp). I don't care how good a defender a player is George could step 2 blokes in a Telephone box.
What a player Georgie can be. Scored 30 tries in 14 or 15 games back in 2010 premier colts with most of them from at least 30m out.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't think Brothers will make the GF. Reds players starting from this week will filter down to club land and Brothers front row will not be able to hold the pack of Easts and UQ especially at set piece.
Sunnybank will be worried especially with the GPS calvary expected to return this week (Frisby, Talakai, FTA possibly Kerevi and FTS depending on Wallaby duty) could provide Souths a chance to close the gap.

IMO Easts & UQ will soon start to turn up the heat and will play off for the GF
UQ don't have a lot of Reds to come back as most now play for other franchises or are on the injured list.
If JOC (James O'Connor)/hunt/Thompson turn up at Crosby they will be very hard to beat. They will actually be pretty hard to beat without them but the loss of Knox and to a lesser extent hinde will be felt by the filth.
Who will be the likely replacements? Beverage to 13 and shipperly to the wing or will old dog Gus McLean come into the reckoning?

T

TOCC

Most Reds were given the week off and some have a few niggling injuries they are taking to get over.. We won't see a full Reds contingent back playing club rugby..

Just speculating but don't expect to see JOC (James O'Connor) playing QPR, he needs a break if his body is going to hold up for the TRC and potentially the RWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agreed - JOC (James O'Connor) will not be seen in any club colours. Risk a shot at RWC to play 40 minutes of footy whilst being heckled by Fritz and co??? Don't think so.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Not that I thought any of them would necessarily play for a club, but I did think they were supposed to be aligned with one.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I wonder what the clubs had to fork out though just to get one of the three mentioned aligned, photo'd wearing a jersey and know full well, said jersey would never get dirty

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeah, well, I don't know if any of them are definitely aligned - just rumours so far.
Unless someone knows otherwise?

Tiger Land

Stan Wickham (3)
T12 Brandon can tackle when he has to it's just they are protecting his ageing & frail shoulders by having him defend on the wing/fullback.

He is not the first #10 in rugby that is protected in this manner.

He is still the best #10 in the comp. Hold the phone Sam Greene supporters Greenie needs to stand up this year and take Brothers deep if he is to dismantle Brandon/McIntyre. Dalgleish should not be discounted either.

Totally agree with TT, if Greenie was as good as the Filth say he is then he would have closed out the game against the Tigers. Whereas Brandon led his team from looked like a certain loss and ultimately won the game for the Tigers in the last minute.

I'm not saying that Sam Greene is a bad player, but Brandon's experience won the Tigers that game at Crosby, and may win them the premiership.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
An interesting battle in the 'Scott Allen Cup' between University and Wests this weekend. I'm hoping SX can put some magic powder in the Doggies water to ensure a winning performance.

Whilst over at Bottemley we see a top of the table clash. It shall be a very close, hard fought match. Some Easts supporters think they've already won. It's probably best not to underestimate Brothers at this stage.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Totally agree with TT, if Greenie was as good as the Filth say he is then he would have closed out the game against the Tigers. Whereas Brandon led his team from looked like a certain loss and ultimately won the game for the Tigers in the last minute.

I'm not saying that Sam Greene is a bad player, but Brandon's experience won the Tigers that game at Crosby, and may win them the premiership.
If Brandon was as good as the Tigers thought he was they might have played in more than 1 finals series in the last 5.

Personally I think Greene and Brando are both fantastic players and neither teams would be what they are in 2015 without them

T

Tigers Tale

Hang on don't put words into my mouth I didn't say Greene wasn't a good player what I said was:

He (Brandon) is still the best #10 in the comp. Hold the phone Sam Greene supporters - Greenie needs to stand up this year and take Brothers deep if he is to dismantle Brandon/McIntyre. Dalgleish should not be discounted either.

I think this is a fair account of the best #10s in QPR15. Interesting that the teams with the best #10s will more than likely be the top 4 teams.

Red Heavy lets put Brandon into perspective of finals series played:
2008 - win major & grand finals;
2009 - win minor & lost prelim(to Bros);
2013 - win major & grand finals
(most players would love to have a 83% (5 from 6) finals success rate.)

And he is also a two time QPR Best & Fairest player in 2012 & 2007. (see below)

An Australian Schoolboy (2003) & under 19 (2004-05) representative.

So I think Brandon deserves a bit of respect for his achievements to date and if Easts go all the way in 2015 he will be Easts first triple premiership player.

I think the Brandon v Greene contest will be worth the admission price alone this Saturday - Oh that's right you don't have to pay to watch rugby at Bottomley!!!!

Note the 2005 winners below: James Sua is part of the 2015 Easts Prems Squad and Tim Sampson is the Easts coach. OMG look who are the 1999 joint winners - the current Reds & Sunnybank coaches.

Alec Evans Medal (Player of the Year)
2014 Rex Tapuai (Sunnybank)
2013 Brett Gillespie (Wests)
2012 Matt Brandon (Easts)
2011 Carlos Gavidi (North Brisbane)
2010 Matt Blain (Stingrays)
2009 David Croft (Brothers)
2008 Brendan McKibbin (Brothers)
Tooheys New Medal (Player of the Year)
2007 Matt Brandon (Easts)
2006 Charles Wyllie (Stingrays)
XXXX Medal (Player of the Year)
2005 James Sua/Tim Sampson (Sunnybank)
2004 Dan McConaghy (Sunnybank)
2003 Mark Bartholomeusz (Vikings)
2002 John Roe (Wests)/Tyron Mandrusiak (Souths)
2001 Andrew Scotney (Easts) 18 points
2000 John Roe (Wests) 24 points
1999 Richard Graham (Easts)/ Rod Seib (Sunnybank) 16 points
1998 Christiaan Knapp (GPS) 20 points
1997 Nathan Williams (Gold Coast) 17 points

T

Tigers Tale

Filth this Easts supporter doesn't "think they've already won."

And I don't think any Easts side has every underestimated a Brothers side and I can guarantee you that no side coached by Sampson/Connelan would ever do so.

And in the greater context Saturday is just a preliminary bout before what I hope will be an Easts v Brothers Major Semi Final.

I think Easts and Brothers have played in 3 Major Semis 1983(Bros won), 1984(Easts) & 2008 (Easts).

T

Tigers Tale

Filth what players will you get back this weekend?

Easts will hopefully have Paraka, Gunn & Turner on board.

T

Tigers Tale

Warhorse I have heard that Adam Thompson has returned to Japan is that what you have heard?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Sheesh some of the big headed chat coming from some Easts posters here, it's no wonder everyone is sick of us!

If anyone thinks Brandon is currently a better player then Greene, they need to take a better look because that is just not the case in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.